The Student Room Group

Inequalities

I'm doing some pre uni material but don't know how to solve inequalities like this:

(x+2y5)(x+y)<0(x+2y-5)(x+y)<0 idk if its a matter of treating y as a constant or what
and this one
(x2+y24)(x2+y29)<0(x^{2}+y^{2}-4)(x^{2}+y^{2}-9)<0
I'm thinking these two are circles so sketch them, and shade in the regions they are less than zero? I actually have no idea how to solve these inequalities

also bonus q:

suppose a,b,c0a,b,c\geq 0 use part (a) to show that
(a+b)(b+c)(c+a)8abc(a+b)(b+c)(c+a)\geq 8abc

part a) I proved a2+b22aba^{2}+b^{2}\geq 2ab

thnx

Actually bonus q

I just gotta prove (a+b)(b+c)(c+a)4ca2+4cb28abc(a+b)(b+c)(c+a)\geq 4ca^{2}+4cb^{2}\geq 8abc right?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by arkanm
Hint for third inequality:

Using a2+b22aba^2+b^2\ge 2ab we get (a+b)2=a2+b2+2ab2ab+2ab=4ab(a+b)^2=a^2+b^2+2ab\ge 2ab+2ab=4ab. So square rooting both sides (since a,b0a,b\ge 0) we get a+b2aba+b\ge 2\sqrt{ab}, i.e. (a+b)(b+c)(c+a)2ab(b+c)(c+a)(a+b)(b+c)(c+a)\ge 2\sqrt{ab}(b+c)(c+a). Do you see how to continue?

Cheers!
It follows b+c2bcb+c\geq 2\sqrt{bc}, a+c2aca+c\geq 2\sqrt{ac} so in conclusion multiplying the three inequalities together produces the desired result,

any ideas for the other 2?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by arkanm
Hint for first inequality:
Clearly we must either have:

1) x+y>0 and x+2y-5<0 or
2) x+y<0 and x+2y-5>0.

For case 1 we can "solve" the first inequality to get x>yx>-y, so putting x=y+ax=-y+a where a>0a>0 gives:

(a+y5)(a)<0(a+y-5)(a)<0.

So again either:
Case 1.1) a+y-5<0 and a>0 or
Case 1.2) a+y-5>0 and a<0

etc.

I know this isn't the best way.

don't get why you added the constant a and how to solve for x,y with a
Reply 3
Original post by arkanm
Just to simplify the factors. Because since x>yx>-y in the case we were considering, we can just set x=y+ax=-y+a where a>0.

To solve for x,y you can consider the sub-cases 1.1 and 1.2.

In 1.1 we assume that a+y-5<0 and a>0.

From a+y-5<0 we get a<5-y, and since a>0 also holds, we have:

0<a<5-y.

Since x=-y+a by definition, we have:

-y+0<x=-y+a<-y+5-y, or equivalently,

-y<x<5-2y

Testing we see that this gives a valid inequality for case 1, so this is a solution.

EDIT: Do the same thing for cases 1.2 and 2.

I see how a simplifies things now
I got 5-2y<x<-y for case 1.2, how do I test this?

as for case 2) how am I solving that, I thought case 2. was simplified to case 1.2? Or do you mean 1.2 was the solution in terms of a and then case 2) was what I obtained, 5-2y<x<-y ?

I kinda get it, how would you ''test'' these inequalities though exactly and also y>5 apparently holds but why 2y-5>y

getting a bit confused here haha
Reply 4
Original post by arkanm
Case 2 is entirely different from case 1. I.e. the "case tree" should look something like this:

Case 1)
-Case 1.1)
-Case 1.2)

Case 2)

You can test them by considering what happens if 5-2y<x<-y.

The inequality is (x+(2y-5))(x+y)<0

Now x>5-2y implies x+(2y-5)>0, and x<-y implies x+y<0, so we have:

x+(2y-5)=+ve and x+y=-ve, hence

(x+(2y-5))(x+y)=(+ve)(-ve)=-ve<0, as desired.

So indeed 5-2y<x<-y is a solution. But you need to remember to state that this only holds for y>5 (I forgot to do this in my last post). The one I did (i.e. case 1.1) only holds for y<5. And for y=5 we get (x+5)2<0(x+5)^2<0 which is impossible by the trivial inequality.

Cheers, still confused though; how do you justify
1.1 only holds for y<5
1.2 only holds for y>5
and I assume case 2 is the case y=5 which obviously doesn't hold? define case 2 please
Reply 5
Original post by arkanm
1.1 only holds when y<5, because -y<x<5-2y implies that -y<5-2y, i.e. y<5. Similarly for 1.2.

Case 2 is defined in my first hint:

BTW, I just realized that I over-complicated it for nothing. Here is an easy approach which anyone can understand. Can't believe I just found it.

Notice that if (x+2y-5)(x+y)<0 then either:

Case 1) x+2y-5<0 and x+y>0, or

Case 2) x+2y-5>0 and x+y<0.

In case 1, the inequality x+2y-5<0 implies that x<5-2y. Similarly, x+y>0 implies that x>-y. Therefore, for Case 1 to hold we must have -y<x<5-2y, indeed a solution. (You can check using the way I showed above.)

Now do a similar thing for case 2.

2)=case 1.2) with the a substitution... right? I think you should've said 2.1) or something

and yes that is much easier, thank you.
case 2) means x>5-2y, x<-y so 5-2y<x<-y as before

the two solutions are
-y<x<5-2y if y<5
5-2y<x<-y if y>5
y5y\not=5
Reply 6
Original post by arkanm
Yes, sorry. And the rest of your working is correct. The second inequality shouldn't be too bad now. I think the tricky part was figuring out how you were meant to state the solution, since there are two variables.

Cheers gonna apply the same to the other inequality. And yeah its tricky more than usual but at least I know how to approach them now
Reply 7
Original post by arkanm
Yes, sorry. And the rest of your working is correct. The second inequality shouldn't be too bad now. I think the tricky part was figuring out how you were meant to state the solution, since there are two variables.

2nd one is a bit different

1) x^2+y^2-4>0 and x^2+y^2-9<0

got 4<x^2+y^2<9 dunno if I can derive x and y solutions from that tbh

2) x^2+y^2-4<0 and x^2+y^2-9>0

the word 'and' here implies both must be true at the same time right?
x^2+y^2<4 but at the same time x^2+y^2>9 which is ludicrous

so the solution is simply 4<x^2+y^2<9 (not sure if we can get anything else from this, unless parabola sketching is used)

the circles have maxima at (0,2), (0,3) respectively and minima at (0,-2) (0,-3) could this play a role?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by alpen
I'm doing some pre uni material but don't know how to solve inequalities like this:

(x+2y5)(x+y)<0(x+2y-5)(x+y)<0 idk if its a matter of treating y as a constant or what
and this one
(x2+y24)(x2+y29)<0(x^{2}+y^{2}-4)(x^{2}+y^{2}-9)<0
I'm thinking these two are circles so sketch them, and shade in the regions they are less than zero? I actually have no idea how to solve these inequalities I know someone else has already made a lot of comments, but as a general comment:

If you have an inequality of the form F(x, y)G(x, y)<0, the thing to do is work out the region S where F < 0 holds, and the region T where G < 0 holds, and then the answer will be the region that is in either S, or T, but NOT both.

If you are supposed to sketch the reason, then it usually works to simply sketch the curves where F(x, y) = 0, and where G(x, y) = 0. You end up with the plane divided into regions by the curves/ Pick one point X = (x, y) not on any curve, and decide whether F(x, y)G(x, y) < 0. This tells you whether the region containing X satisfies F(x, y)G(x, y) < 0. As you cross a curve to get to another region, you will usually "flip" whether F(x, y)G(x,y) < 0 or not.

(e.g. suppose F(x, y) = x^2+y^2 - 1, and G(x,y) = x^2+y^2-4. Then sketching F(x, y)= 0 gives a circle center (0,0) radius 1, and G(x, y) = 0 gives a circle center (0,0) radius 2. Pick your test point X to be the origin (0,0). Then F(X) = -1, G(X) = -4. So F(X)G(X) = 4 > 0. So the region X is in (i.e. the circle of radius 1) doesn't satisfy the inequality. The next region out (as you cross the circle of radius 1) is the annulus with inner radius 1 and outer radius 2, and it does satisfy the inequality. The next region (the points of distance >2 from the origin) do not satisfy the inequality.

Note that the "bonus" question is a completely different topic.
Reply 9
Original post by arkanm
You're right about case 2 being absurd.

Hint for case 1: Think geometrically (you anticipated this in your opening post). For example, what does x^2+y^2=9 represent geometrically? Now extend this line of thought to 4<x^2+y^2<9.

In fact, the geometric approach also provides a neat approach to the first inequality. But you have lines instead of

______

i.e.

(x+2y-5)(x+y)<0

Case 1) x+2y-5<0 and x+y>0, so:
x+2y<5 and x+y>0 (*)
Now consider the lines x+2y=5 and x+y=0. (The inequalities (*) might be easier if you write them in "y=mx+c" form, i.e. y<12x+52y<-\frac{1}{2} x+\frac{5}{2}, etc.)

Case 2 is similar.

I prefer the "analytic" approach to the geometric because it generalizes more easily (you can't always sketch a diagram for an inequality, or at least it won't always be obvious how it looks like).

looking at the curve we have lots of small regions where the equality holds namely

-3<x<2
2<x<3
or
-2<y<-3
2<y<3

Is there a way to neaten this up or are these indeed the defined regions e.g. x=3 y=0 gives x^2+y^2=9 same with y=3 x=0
Reply 10
Could participate and I or is private conversation.
I know English little.
My name is gtachta.
Sorry.
I know English little.
My name is gtachta.
Sorry.

A system with qualities and qualities or only qualities with 2 variables we find solution
to R^2 =RxR.
Examle x^2+y^2>9
First solution always the qualitie x^2+y^2=9 which is circle with center (0,0) and 3
After we find the sign the h(x,y)=x^2+y^2-9.for this take one point inside or outsite of
circle. Example (0,0) when h(0,0)=0^2+0^2-9=-9<0 .Therefore,for all points inside circle the h(x,y)<0,while h(x,y)>0 outside the circle and zero on the circle.
Consequently that solution x^2+y^2>9 is all the point the R^2 outside the circle.
So can solution problems in linear programming(economic mathematics)

Others used other Inequalities we know.

If you want.I can said all for Inequalities until Inequalities used the Jensen' inequalities You must know derivatives (a few words for Convex function)

Very nice for issues for International Mathematical Olympiad
Sorry my English. I try.
(edited 9 years ago)
arkanm
We're somewhat guessing at the actual intent of the question given the lack of context, but I don't really like what you've done above (plus it actually has errors):

At university level, x^2+y^2 < 9 should be automatically recognized as the interior of a circle around the origin of radius 3.

Rewriting as "y<9x2y < \sqrt{9-x^2} OR y>9x2y > -\sqrt{9-x^2}" does not to my mind move things forwards - it just confuses matters.

Unfortunately, that confusion is shown by the fact that it's not actuially correct: as long as 9-x^2 > 0, then for all values of y, it is always the case that one of y<9x2y < \sqrt{9-x^2}, y>9x2y > -\sqrt{9-x^2}" is true.

It's an easy mistake to make, but that's my point - you're moving things into a complexity of having to consider square root signs, whether or not quantities are real, etc, when the original x^2+y^2<9 equation avoids all of this.

[Mileage may vary on this, depending on how "obvious" you find what x^2+y^2 < 9 represents].
Reply 12
Original post by arkanm
Hint: 4<x2+y2<94<x^2+y^2<9 implies that y2<9x2y^2<9-x^2 AND y2>4x2y^2>4-x^2. Solving these we get:

1) y<9x2y<\sqrt{9-x^2} OR y>9x2y>-\sqrt{9-x^2}

AND

2) y>4x2y>\sqrt{4-x^2} OR y<4x2y<-\sqrt{4-x^2}

In other words, you can take any of the two inequalities in (1) and combine them with any of the two inequalities in (2) and see what that gives you.

So for example taking y<9x2y<\sqrt{9-x^2} from (1) and y>4x2y>\sqrt{4-x^2} from (2), we get:

4x2<y<9x2\sqrt{4-x^2}<y<\sqrt{9-x^2}.

EDIT: And keep in mind that in order for 4x2\sqrt{4-x^2} to be real, we need 4x204-x^2\ge 0 or x24x^2\ge 4 or 2x2-2\le x\le 2.

What I found is that x2orx2x\leq -2 or x\geq 2 held throughout all cases
I also got a weird set of solutions
y<4x2<9x2y<-\sqrt{4-x^{2}}<\sqrt{9-x^{2}} using first+4th
Unparseable latex formula:

-\sqrt{9-x^{2}<\sqrt{4-x^{2}}<y

using 2nd+3rd
Unparseable latex formula:

-\sqrt{9-x^{2}<y<-\sqrt{4-x^{2}}

using 2nd+4th
which I guess make sense but how do I verify which are true?

edit apparently this method is wrong
Reply 13
Original post by DFranklin
We're somewhat guessing at the actual intent of the question given the lack of context, but I don't really like what you've done above (plus it actually has errors):

At university level, x^2+y^2 < 9 should be automatically recognized as the interior of a circle around the origin of radius 3.

Rewriting as "y<9x2y < \sqrt{9-x^2} OR y>9x2y > -\sqrt{9-x^2}" does not to my mind move things forwards - it just confuses matters.

Unfortunately, that confusion is shown by the fact that it's not actuially correct: as long as 9-x^2 > 0, then for all values of y, it is always the case that one of y<9x2y < \sqrt{9-x^2}, y>9x2y > -\sqrt{9-x^2}" is true.

It's an easy mistake to make, but that's my point - you're moving things into a complexity of having to consider square root signs, whether or not quantities are real, etc, when the original x^2+y^2<9 equation avoids all of this.

[Mileage may vary on this, depending on how "obvious" you find what x^2+y^2 < 9 represents].

Yep I realised this and drew a sketch I realised these two circles don't intersect but the regions defined 4<x^2+y^2<9 is made up of the 'ring' shape inbetween the two circles, this led me to classifying a few regions based off my graph, how valid are these:
-3<x<2
2<x<3
or
-2<y<-3
2<y<3

I said or, because simultaneously these regions would lead to something greater than 9, although I'm not sure as 2^2+2^2=8
(edited 9 years ago)
Not at all valid. As you've said, the area you want is the "ring shape" between the circles. Technically, it is an annulus of inner radius 2 and outer radius 3 centered at the origin.

Any analytic expression you try to form to describe the region is going to be horrific.

For example, the upper quadrant of the region would need to be treated as two separate regions:

The part of the region where 0 <=x<=2 can be written as: 0x2,y0,x2,4x2<y<9x20 \le x \le 2, y \ge 0, x \le 2, \sqrt{4-x^2} < y < \sqrt{9-x^2}.
The part of the region where x > 2 can be written as 2<x<3,0y<9x22 < x < 3, 0 \le y < \sqrt{9-x^2}

You then have the 3 other quadrants to describe.

To my mind, doing this is completely pointless and misses the point (unless, for example, you need to fill the region by writing a computer program, when it just *might* be the correct approach).
Reply 15
Not at all valid. As you've said, the area you want is the "ring shape" between the circles. Technically, it is an annulus of inner radius 2 and outer radius 3 centered at the origin.

Any analytic expression you try to form to describe the region is going to be horrific.

For example, the upper quadrant of the region would need to be treated as two separate regions:

The part of the region where 0 <=x<=2 can be written as: 0x2,y0,x2,4x2<y<9x20 \le x \le 2, y \ge 0, x \le 2, \sqrt{4-x^2} < y < \sqrt{9-x^2}.
The part of the region where x > 2 can be written as 2<x<3,0y<9x22 < x < 3, 0 \le y < \sqrt{9-x^2}

You then have the 3 other quadrants to describe.

To my mind, doing this is completely pointless and misses the point (unless, for example, you need to fill the region by writing a computer program, when it just *might* be the correct approach).

Ah fair enough so shading the region and finding 4<x^2+y^2<9 should suffice understanding wise as the complexities make this more of a menial task that can be done by other means.

Thanks for the info and the large post before definitely feeling more confident with inequalities now
Reply 16
I know English little.
My name is gtachta.
Sorry.
I know English little.
My name is gtachta.
Sorry.

A system with qualities and qualities or only qualities with 2 variables we find solution
to R^2 =RxR.
Examle x^2+y^2>9
First solution always the qualitie x^2+y^2=9 which is circle with center (0,0) and 3
After we find the sign the h(x,y)=x^2+y^2-9.for this take one point inside or outsite of
circle. Example (0,0) when h(0,0)=0^2+0^2-9=-9<0 .Therefore,for all points inside circle the h(x,y)<0,while h(x,y)>0 outside the circle and zero on the circle.
Consequently that solution x^2+y^2>9 is all the point the R^2 outside the circle.
So can solution problems in linear programming(economic mathematics)

Others used other Inequalities we know.

If you want.I can said all for Inequalities until Inequalities used the Jensen' inequalities You must know derivatives (a few words for Convex function)

Very nice for issues for International Mathematical Olympiad
Sorry my English. I try to delete one from two messages.Amfraid because perhaps delete all.
I don't know what delete
exactly.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by arkanm
Putting the mistake to one side (thanks for pointing that out!), I was trying to solve it in terms of x or y, i.e. "analytically", because you can't just refer to the diagram (and I did refer to the diagram -- see post #17) in more complicated inequalities. For example, solve (x4+y24)(y4+x29)<0(x^4+y^2-4)(y^4+x^2-9)<0 for x,yRx,y\in \mathbb{R}.
Actually, I could sketch that no problem without doing any significant calculations. The sketch might not be perfect, but it would (generally) be good enough.

Would it be cleaner to describe the circles in polar form, 0 =< theta < 2pi, , then if r is radius, simply 2=< r =< 3 , including or excluding the boundary of the annulus?

Clive
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cliverlong
Would it be cleaner to describe the circles in polar form, 0 =< theta < 2pi, , then if r is radius, simply 2=< r =< 3 , including or excluding the boundary of the annulus?It's certainly another valid way of looking at it.

The problem is that the OP has no context. If you look at the original problem:

"solve inequalities like this: (x+2y5)(x+y)<0(x+2y-5)(x+y)<0"

you have to wonder "what does solve mean here?". Because the only thing you can reasonably do is something like:

(x+2y-5) < 0 and (x+y) > 0 OR
(x+2y-5) > 0 and (x+y) < 0

and it's hard to really see this is an improvement on the original inequality.

For this reason, I'd guess that what the OP actually needs to do is sketch the region where the inequality is satisfied, but I might be wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest