The Student Room Group

Is it worth keeping Psychology onto A2?

Hi, I am in Year 12 (just started) and I am really enjoying Psychology but I have heard that it is not favorable to many Universities? So I was wondering if it worth keeping it onto second year?
Reply 1
It depends - what do you want to do at Uni? Are you studying any other "hard" sciences? What are you predicted at A2?

I stated on to A2 and it was pretty difficult - wayyy harder than the first year. But I did enjoy it and I got an A in the end :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by cuppaJo
It depends - what do you want to do at Uni? Are you studying any other "hard" sciences? What are you predicted at A2?

I stated on to A2 and it was pretty difficult - wayyy harder than the first year. But I did enjoy it and I got an A in the end :smile:

I don't really know what I want to do at University, but my first choice would be Maths. I am also studying Biology, History and Maths. I have no predictions yet as I have just started AS year. What exam board did you do?
Depends what you're applying for? I thought A2 psychology was really interesting but really hard, by no means a 'soft' subject
Reply 4
Original post by Ben4
I don't really know what I want to do at University, but my first choice would be Maths. I am also studying Biology, History and Maths. I have no predictions yet as I have just started AS year. What exam board did you do?

I did AQA exam board~
It's useful to look on couple uni websites and see what their requirements for uni degrees in Maths are - just to get an idea, mind! Nothing serious yet. It's a mix of whether they consider Psychology a "science" or not, so make sure you check when you apply.

Most of all though - wait and see! If you've only started AS, you won't have a good idea of how it's taught, how the exams work etc. Until you've been there a few months. I admire that you are thinking about the future but ultimately it's something you might have to wait and see to decide (eg. AS results day totally changed my mind what I wanted to do....)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Ben4

It won't matter if you keep it or not. It's fine when taken with two other traditional subjects, which you're definitely going to do out of those.
Reply 6
Btw - I applied to all Russell Group Universities with Psychology and none of them found it to be "undesirable" or a bad subject :awesome: - so not to worry about that, haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cuppaJo
(eg. AS results day totally changed my mind what I wanted to do....)

Posted from TSR Mobile

A2 exams completely changed my mind, now I'm retaking the year... no rush :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by cuppaJo
I did AQA exam board~
It's useful to look on couple uni websites and see what their requirements for uni degrees in Maths are - just to get an idea, mind! Nothing serious yet. It's a mix of whether they consider Psychology a "science" or not, so make sure you check when you apply.

Most of all though - wait and see! If you've only started AS, you won't have a good idea of how it's taught, how the exams work etc. Until you've been there a few months. I admire that you are thinking about the future but ultimately it's something you might have to wait and see to decide (eg. AS results day totally changed my mind what I wanted to do....)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am doing AQA too, and thank you. I initially chose these subjects as they are quite different from eachother and I could maybe do a degree in any of the subjects I chose if I change my mind.

Thank you everyone for your advise too.

Quick Reply

Latest