The Student Room Group

Not Vegetarian Foods- what you don't expect

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SophhFrog
I'm not sure about the alcohol front, but i'm guessing that some things have products such as Whey that are from animal origin but I can't be totally sure on that at all.

Chocolate mousse really surprised me. Sometimes I find it easier to go for yoghurts that are alpro cause they are vegan friendly?

Is there actually any Marshmellows that are safe to eat. I go to Subway normally and avoid Mcdonalds. I know it's not the same but they make their sandwiches to your taste and right infront of you so you can be sure of what is put in. It's the same for me when my family wants to go and get some chips from a fish and chip shop.

Does anyone still get stick for it? My dad ALWAYS when he gets out meat goes hmm and looks at me and says things like isn't it nice that we have to share it between three of us and not four because you don't eat it anymore. It is my choice and I could eat it if i wanted but i don't.

Vegetarian marshmallows do exist but the ones I saw had to be ordered online. Health food stores such as Holland and Barrett might have alternatives?

I've started making my own chips. It's really easy and doesn't take up much time.

I became vegetarian when I was ten (I'm now 22) and I've been getting those comments for years. I try to ignore them because, as you said, it's a personal choice and I should be able to eat what I like without people pestering me to change all of the time.
Finally someone who understands. I live with 3 of my family members and they say things like ohhh look at this like I want to eat it but i've choosen not to and they all eat meat.
I hate how people try to make me eat meat by saying comments. Actually it's alot harder to give up meat but you're really not missing anything and putting animals first. Meat eaters try to make me eat meat and all animal products but I don't go around telling everyone to become a vegetarian.

3 of my family members also eat meat although they have now given up trying to make me eat meat :P they do get annoyed when I won't eat things like gravy with meat fat in though >.> if it's not veggie then I'm not eating it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by Redbird.
Vegetarian marshmallows do exist but the ones I saw had to be ordered online. Health food stores such as Holland and Barrett might have alternatives?

I've started making my own chips. It's really easy and doesn't take up much time.

I became vegetarian when I was ten (I'm now 22) and I've been getting those comments for years. I try to ignore them because, as you said, it's a personal choice and I should be able to eat what I like without people pestering me to change all of the time.

I'll take a look thanks because I love Marshmellows. To be honest I find it hard to eat at home or out. If I eat at a restaurant, I have to check that I can eat certain things but at home my family get annoyed cause they have to do different.
Reply 23
Original post by beingawallflower
3 of my family members also eat meat although they have now given up trying to make me eat meat :P they do get annoyed when I won't eat things like gravy with meat fat in though >.> if it's not veggie then I'm not eating it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's exactly the same for me cause they literally eat meat every day. Hopefully they will give up soon cause even after telling them multiple times, they still question me about eating fish. I had to get seperate gravy which they didn't understand. Today for Sunday lunch, I asked for stuffing to be made seperate and my dad said couldn't i have his bit out of the chicken :/
Original post by Genocidal
Solution: Stop being a pussy and eat meat. Then you won't have this problem.

That's not cool bro
It's exactly the same for me cause they literally eat meat every day. Hopefully they will give up soon cause even after telling them multiple times, they still question me about eating fish. I had to get seperate gravy which they didn't understand. Today for Sunday lunch, I asked for stuffing to be made seperate and my dad said couldn't i have his bit out of the chicken :/

ARGH the fish thing >.> non-veggie people always say 'do you eat fish?' obviously not because that isn't vegetarian :L and they always say i should but that is silly. I can understand if you are veggie for health rather than moral reasons but hardly any people are :L

Fish are friends, not food :')
Reply 26
ARGH the fish thing >.> non-veggie people always say 'do you eat fish?' obviously not because that isn't vegetarian :L and they always say i should but that is silly. I can understand if you are veggie for health rather than moral reasons but hardly any people are :L

Fish are friends, not food :')

I know, I am already sick of hearing it or my family remarking it's just a phase or make sure you get all your nutrients or protein intake. They would have never been saying any of that if I was continually eating crisps, chocolate and pizza.

Awww yeah I like that. I think it's because of people calling themselves veggie but they still eat fish but they aren't. I said to them no cause it's no different a fish loosing its life so I can eat it compared to any other animal. So if i'm not going to eat animals, that includes fish.
Bacon crisps are suitable for vegetarians, you know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Edminzodo
Bacon crisps are suitable for vegetarians, you know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for sharing that :smile:
Reply 29
I've heard that Magnums are not. Can anyone clarify on that ?
I've heard that Magnums are not. Can anyone clarify on that ?

I can - all Walls ice cream is not, Magnums are not :frown: the chocolate ice cream from sainsburys and asda etc are usually (they will say on the box) and Mars/bounty/Malteaser ice creams are veggie :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
I can - all Walls ice cream is not, Magnums are not :frown: the chocolate ice cream from sainsburys and asda etc are usually (they will say on the box) and Mars/bounty/Malteaser ice creams are veggie :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Arghh I thought so but it is a shame. Apparently I've been told that white sugar is not veggie now! It sounds really ridiculous.
Can I ask why they are not and have you tried vegan icecream ? It's just I could never tell for going out for a whippy icecream etc.
Reply 32
Arghh I thought so but it is a shame. Apparently I've been told that white sugar is not veggie now! It sounds really ridiculous.
Can I ask why they are not and have you tried vegan icecream ? It's just I could never tell for going out for a whippy icecream etc.

Vegan ice cream? Does this even exist? Milk being the main component in normal ice cream, what would the vegan alternative be?
Reply 33
Original post by aoxa
Vegan ice cream? Does this even exist? Milk being the main component in normal ice cream, what would the vegan alternative be?

Vegan ice cream is definitely a real thing - I think they normally use coconut milk/cream, soy milk or even almond 'milk'.

See this company:
http://coconutbliss.com/about/about-us
http://coconutbliss.com/info/nutrition

and here:
http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2010/07/vegan-ice-cream-toppings-ricemellow.html
http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2014/05/vegan-treat-almond-butter-caramel.html
http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2014/08/mint-chocolate-chip-blender-ice-cream.html

Im not sure why not I'm afraid D: I have had vegan ice cream made with coconut milk which I loved (because I love coconut!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Im not sure why not I'm afraid D: I have had vegan ice cream made with coconut milk which I loved (because I love coconut!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks I'm not sure which cow's milk alternative I would like because I'm not a massive fan of coconut especially if it's strong and i don't like almonds ?
Thanks I'm not sure which cow's milk alternative I would like because I'm not a massive fan of coconut especially if it's strong and i don't like almonds ?

It's not strong but you can definitely taste coconut :P maybe not the best option though :wink: just go for Ben and Jerry's! :P that's all veggie :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
It's not strong but you can definitely taste coconut :P maybe not the best option though :wink: just go for Ben and Jerry's! :P that's all veggie :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! One of the issues that I have is i used to take this things that I chewed to help me with anxiety and panic attacks but now I cannot take them /;L
Not sure if mentioned yet but anything with E120 in it isn't vegetarian. It's a red food colouring made from crushed beetles. Skittles is the only example I can think of right now that has it.
Reply 39
Original post by shimmlight
Not sure if mentioned yet but anything with E120 in it isn't vegetarian. It's a red food colouring made from crushed beetles. Skittles is the only example I can think of right now that has it.

There's something similar beginning with 'C' that isn't vegetarian. Mr Kipling's french fancies and angel slices are not vegetarian because of that but the lemon slices are and clearly say so on the box.

Quick Reply

Latest