The Student Room Group

What is wrong with schooling?

Hello people, I believe there are definitely things wrong with the current schooling/educational system.

So I was wondering what you personally think is wrong with the schooling system we are in currently.

Please state your gender, age, what type of school and year the you are in along with the answer to my question of "what is wrong with the current schooling / educational system?"

looking forward to your unique views and opinions :smile:
Before I answer this could you please elaborate on your statement i.e why you think there is a problem because as it stands, you've provided no justification for that statement.
I think it's alright, but a couple things that I'd like to see being changed:

I'd like to see more life-relevant subjects being introduced and given more weight in our education. Being academic is great and all, but it only helps you get a job as opposed to teaching you things you'll be doing the rest of your life. I think we should make a compulsory system that includes the following:

- Computer science
- Driver's education
- Money management
- Politics (basic grounding on how the UK and EU works)
- Legal education/Citizenship (basically tell kids what will happen to them if they break the law and what exactly is considered illegal)
- Social education (the usual PSHE stuff but with more challenging content like ethics and morality)

I also think the GPA system is better than judging people by individual subjects like GCSEs and A Levels do. It's important that essays, projects and homework have equal or more weight to the end of year exams. Performance should contribute to the grade of the student, rather than a student's ability in one area based on one test. The new numbered system with GCSEs might make this easy to happen.

More choice and freedom in subject choice. I had to choose my GCSEs when I was 13 which was not the best move my school made.

Scrap UCAS and make a new system where make HE applications on an individual basis, which helps you structure your PS to a certain University's needs and also gives you more flexibility in the courses you want to take.

Lower English and Maths to 15. Or make it so that if you struggle with either of the two you focus on simply using English/Maths correctly in real life situations instead of doing algebra and trigonometry or literature analysis.
Reply 3
Sorry I didn't explain it enough. But in a nutshell, there are somewhat 11 types of intelligence, only about 2 or 3 are used in schooling from year 1 to End of A levels. Further more many people in life don't know why they are doing the job they are doing and what is the actual purpose. I think we learn a lot when we are young, hence I think these problems we face when we grow up are surely linked to how we are educated within the system. I think from year 7 to year 9/10 most public school students did not learn much at all compared to how much they learn in the peak of their exams. Hence why not allocate some times into developing peoples lives through education.
Reply 4
Original post by Iggy Azalea
I

I love your answer, It covers many important aspects in education and also life. I think its interesting that you. I think GCSEs are a load of poop. I do think you are correct about freedom, people don't grow if you force them into a ideology of limited subjects. I think making mistakes is not necessarily a bad thing. Don't you find it strange that couple of days ago students had to kindly ask the teacher if they can go to the bathroom and now they want us to make big self decisions such as A Level or GCSE when the student is not even clear about what to do with their life that coming to school.
Original post by ptrdsn

I love your answer, It covers many important aspects in education and also life. I think its interesting that you. I think GCSEs are a load of poop. I do think you are correct about freedom, people don't grow if you force them into a ideology of limited subjects. I think making mistakes is not necessarily a bad thing. Don't you find it strange that couple of days ago students had to kindly ask the teacher if they can go to the bathroom and now they want us to make big self decisions such as A Level or GCSE when the student is not even clear about what to do with their life that coming to school.

I agree with Ken

http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_changing_education_paradigms
Reply 6

Yes, he is very motivational and truthful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending