The Student Room Group

A-Level Art and Design - Appeal because of teacher error?

For context, my art teacher had done the component 2 externally set assignment wrong.

I study AQA Graphic Communication and from the start of Feb we were only given 2 weeks to prepare our sketchbook/research before starting our 15 hour exam towards our final pieces. Because of this my class had completed a project that was supposed to be 4 months long in 3 weeks. I was content with my final piece, however the research and preparatory period building up to it wasn't anywhere as detailed as my Component 1, but because of the time difference I didn't think much of it.

I was wondering if there is anything I can do? I am certain I have gotten an A in my Component 1 but I feel like because of matters out of my control, I have probably got 30/96 in my component 2 which will most likely drop my overall grade down to like a C.
Reply 1
Original post by humblecreator2
For context, my art teacher had done the component 2 externally set assignment wrong.

I study AQA Graphic Communication and from the start of Feb we were only given 2 weeks to prepare our sketchbook/research before starting our 15 hour exam towards our final pieces. Because of this my class had completed a project that was supposed to be 4 months long in 3 weeks. I was content with my final piece, however the research and preparatory period building up to it wasn't anywhere as detailed as my Component 1, but because of the time difference I didn't think much of it.

I was wondering if there is anything I can do? I am certain I have gotten an A in my Component 1 but I feel like because of matters out of my control, I have probably got 30/96 in my component 2 which will most likely drop my overall grade down to like a C.

Has your school written to AQA about this? You can't do anything - only your school and it's a bit late now.
Original post by Muttley79
Has your school written to AQA about this? You can't do anything - only your school and it's a bit late now.

I have no idea, we basically finished the course in early March (No longer had to come to graphic lessons) and had been emailed in May that AQA were coming in to moderate the work. Other than that, I don’t know what has happened and will just have to wait until results day.

My teacher is new to the subject, and had joined in Sep 2021 due to the previous art teacher leaving. For 2022 there was no Component 2 so he did not have to deal with this but because this is the first year since 2019 that there is a Component 2, I guess he misunderstood how it works.
Reply 3
I have no idea, we basically finished the course in early March (No longer had to come to graphic lessons) and had been emailed in May that AQA were coming in to moderate the work. Other than that, I don’t know what has happened and will just have to wait until results day.

My teacher is new to the subject, and had joined in Sep 2021 due to the previous art teacher leaving. For 2022 there was no Component 2 so he did not have to deal with this but because this is the first year since 2019 that there is a Component 2, I guess he misunderstood how it works.

Do your school know and what have they done about it? Students don;t have any power but schools do. There have been times when a teacher has taught the wrong book for Eng Lit and the exam board has made sure students weren't disadvantaged but the board need to know.
Do your school know and what have they done about it? Students don;t have any power but schools do. There have been times when a teacher has taught the wrong book for Eng Lit and the exam board has made sure students weren't disadvantaged but the board need to know.

My school does not know. I only found out we did it wrong recently after talking to some people from other schools/colleges online.

I have talked to some of my classmates and they said it’s best to wait until results day because then we would have solid proof if we all receive bad marks and then it would kinda prove that it was out of our control.
Reply 5
My school does not know. I only found out we did it wrong recently after talking to some people from other schools/colleges online.

I have talked to some of my classmates and they said it’s best to wait until results day because then we would have solid proof if we all receive bad marks and then it would kinda prove that it was out of our control.

No, you need to do it before results day.
No, you need to do it before results day.

I've emailed my school's exam office and will see what they can do. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Latest