The Student Room Group

Confused on where I should apply

So I’m probably gonna be predicted ABC in Spanish maths and computing (💀) and I wanna apply for business management but thanks to the C I don’t have the requirements for ABB unis or BBB unis. In my exams I can easily get aab minimum and that’s if everything goes wrong these aren’t accurate but I wanna apply now aswell. Do u think it’s worth applying to some of these unis- I don’t know how likely they’ll be to give an offer.
Leicester - ABB
Cardiff - BBB-ABB
Lancaster - ABB
Keele - bbb

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anon123459804
So I’m probably gonna be predicted ABC in Spanish maths and computing (💀) and I wanna apply for business management but thanks to the C I don’t have the requirements for ABB unis or BBB unis. In my exams I can easily get aab minimum and that’s if everything goes wrong these aren’t accurate but I wanna apply now aswell. Do u think it’s worth applying to some of these unis- I don’t know how likely they’ll be to give an offer.
Leicester - ABB
Cardiff - BBB-ABB
Lancaster - ABB
Keele - bbb

Yes it's worth applying to them. Consider holding back one choice until January to see what responses you've had.
Leicester - ABB
Cardiff - BBB-ABB
Lancaster - ABB
Keele - bbb

Hi there,

Thank you for your question.

I understand your concerns, but it's great to hear your confidence about achieving better grades in your exams. I encourage you to apply to the universities you mentioned. Some Admissions departments can be flexible, considering your potential and determination. Also, consider including one or two safe options to ensure you have backup choices just in case you were not able to meet the requirements.

Best of luck with your applications! :smile:

Smriti (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Yes it's worth applying to them. Consider holding back one choice until January to see what responses you've had.

thank u!
Leicester - ABB
Cardiff - BBB-ABB
Lancaster - ABB
Keele - bbb

Firstly if you dont meet all your grades you might well be rejected. For that reason it is worth applying to some above your predicted grades but having a couple at or below your predicted grades.

Secondly you may be confident of getting higher grades than your predictions but the evidence is most students dont reach their predicted grades let alone exceed them. A student is the worse person to predict their grades. The have no knowledge of the standards needed or knowledge of the standards elsewhere or previous years. Therefore your teachers are far better placed to make predictions whatever you think you can achieve.

As far as your options are concerned these universities are known to be flexible over grades and picking 3 of them with 2 lower graded universities as cover should you get rejections or dont meet your offers.
Leicester - ABB
Cardiff - BBB-ABB
Lancaster - ABB
Keele - bbb

Hi there!

I definitely would encourage you to still apply to these universities, however, you should also put in some safe options as a backup.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Good luck! :smile:

Sumayyah
(UK Student Recruitment Assistant)
Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience Student
thank u!

Leicester - ABB
Cardiff - BBB-ABB
Lancaster - ABB
Keele - bbb

Hi!

I think it is still worth a chance applying for these universities or at least the ones you are the most interested in. It is also wise however, to apply for universities where you meet the grade requirement.
Lancaster university also offers places at university through clearing so you could still try later, of you do not meet the requirement.

Best,
Lancaster University student ambassador,
Glory.
Reply 7
Original post by swanseajack1
Firstly if you dont meet all your grades you might well be rejected. For that reason it is worth applying to some above your predicted grades but having a couple at or below your predicted grades.

Secondly you may be confident of getting higher grades than your predictions but the evidence is most students dont reach their predicted grades let alone exceed them. A student is the worse person to predict their grades. The have no knowledge of the standards needed or knowledge of the standards elsewhere or previous years. Therefore your teachers are far better placed to make predictions whatever you think you can achieve.

As far as your options are concerned these universities are known to be flexible over grades and picking 3 of them with 2 lower graded universities as cover should you get rejections or dont meet your offers.

trust my school is being inaccurate and even if i do miss my predicted grades i will have my insurance which will be ntu or ill just go into clearing so its ok like sorry i actually believe in myself lol
Reply 8
Original post by University of Leicester
Hi there!

I definitely would encourage you to still apply to these universities, however, you should also put in some safe options as a backup.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Good luck! :smile:

Sumayyah
(UK Student Recruitment Assistant)
Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience Student

yeaa i think i will apply to 3 apirational choices (aston, leicester and lancaster) and two safe choices (nottigham trent and BCU) leicester is definitely the one i want to go to the most:smile: thank u!
trust my school is being inaccurate and even if i do miss my predicted grades i will have my insurance which will be ntu or ill just go into clearing so its ok like sorry i actually believe in myself lol

There are a lot of students like you who believe their schools are wrong and end up not reaching their offers. The problem is students dot have the knowledge to make that assessment. Teachers do. They have experience of what past students have achieved and are able to compare that with students like you. Having confidence in what you will achieve when you dont have the knowledge of the standards necessary doesnt make you a good judge of what you will achieve.

The evidence is that 75% dont actually achieve their predicted grades and less than 10% exceed them. Most that exceed them tends to be by 1 grade.

It is all very well you being confident in what you will achieve and claim your school is wrong but you really arent in a position to make that judgement.
There are a lot of students like you who believe their schools are wrong and end up not reaching their offers. The problem is students dot have the knowledge to make that assessment. Teachers do. They have experience of what past students have achieved and are able to compare that with students like you. Having confidence in what you will achieve when you dont have the knowledge of the standards necessary doesnt make you a good judge of what you will achieve.

The evidence is that 75% dont actually achieve their predicted grades and less than 10% exceed them. Most that exceed them tends to be by 1 grade.

It is all very well you being confident in what you will achieve and claim your school is wrong but you really arent in a position to make that judgement.

why u hating so much chill ill prove the school wrong who are u to even say i wont get it lmao
why u hating so much chill ill prove the school wrong who are u to even say i wont get it lmao

Carry on believing what you wish but the teachers are in a far better position to judge than you are. Who are you to tell professionals who have knowledge of other students over the years that they are wrong when you have no knowledge of the standard required.
Carry on believing what you wish but the teachers are in a far better position to judge than you are. Who are you to tell professionals who have knowledge of other students over the years that they are wrong when you have no knowledge of the standard required.

I refuse to believe u ain’t a troll cause wtf☠️☠️ stop begging it it’s not impossible to exceed my already low predictions and do u know HOW many ppl get lower than their predictions and all of a sudden it’s not the teachers fault anymore? My teachers may have predicted me these grades but even they don’t say it’s impossible for me to exceed them💀
I refuse to believe u ain’t a troll cause wtf☠️☠️ stop begging it it’s not impossible to exceed my already low predictions and do u know HOW many ppl get lower than their predictions and all of a sudden it’s not the teachers fault anymore? My teachers may have predicted me these grades but even they don’t say it’s impossible for me to exceed them💀

Read this. It tells you the truth and not your full of yourself opinion of yourself
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=7d299dd1c6bd5d80JmltdHM9MTY5OTMxNTIwMCZpZ3VpZD0zNjQzYjFiYS0yNzM0LTZlMzItMWRhNy1hMWNlMjYxMzZmYTkmaW5zaWQ9NTI1Mg&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=3643b1ba-2734-6e32-1da7-a1ce26136fa9&psq=percentage+grades+not+reaching+predictions&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cudGVzLmNvbS9tYWdhemluZS9hcmNoaXZlL2ZpdmUtb3V0LXNpeC1sZXZlbC1ncmFkZS1wcmVkaWN0aW9ucy10ZWFjaGVycy1hcmUtd3Jvbmctc3R1ZHktc2hvd3M&ntb=1

Hey there - so you can hold one choice back till January? Submit 4 then the 5th choice before the deadline ?
yeaa i think i will apply to 3 apirational choices (aston, leicester and lancaster) and two safe choices (nottigham trent and BCU) leicester is definitely the one i want to go to the most:smile: thank u!

Best of luck ! I hope you prove the doubters wrong!
Original post by ilovelemons
Hey there - so you can hold one choice back till January? Submit 4 then the 5th choice before the deadline ?

Yes, one or more. It's a useful tactic.
Yes, one or more. It's a useful tactic.

Thank you - didn’t even realise this was an option ! I’m a parent so I’ll mention this.
The truth hurts but there is no denying it despite you living in a fictional world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending