The Student Room Group

please help me with this problematic situation

hello!

in my class, there is a person that continuously pops up whenever the professor asks the audience something

he doesn't raise his hand and wait for the professor to give him the right to speak and answer the question

he just squirts what he thinks the answer is, without leaving the time for others to have a think and the chance to answer

he may be clever or knowledgeable, I don't know and I don't care tbh, good for him, but his express his know-it-all attitude in a way that makes the lecture unpleasant to others!

the problem in addition to this, is that professors seem to like him, as he seems to gain all the attention and interact with them very much

I am sure you have all of you come across a situation like this and you know what I mean

don't you think this makes the lecture unpleasant?

the problem is that sometimes professors want to make the lecture interactive, but we don't have a chance to interact with them as he seems to popup with his answer all the time!

have you been in similar situation?
how do you feel when being in a situation like this?
is there a solution for this?

thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Read ahead like he probably does and try harder if it annoys you...nothing else you can really do tbh.
Have you tried working harder?
Reply 3
trying what harder?

shouting out answers faster than he does? this is childish, do you realise what you are suggesting?
Reply 4
does the lecturer ask for everyone to put their hands up?
Reply 5
you sound really mad that someone is able to be outgoing and liked and intelligent, whilst your sat at the back getting pissed at him lol
Reply 6
plot twist: the person shouting out is the real professor and the professor you're looking at is his puppet

it's like Queen Amidala and Padme all over again
Reply 7
the guy has no manners at all, we don't shout so the louder gets heard, we ask to be given the right to speak by raising our hands!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by studos
the guy has no manners at all, we don't shout so the louder gets heard, we ask to be given the right to speak by raising our hands!

I'm assuming you are at uni. You don't have to raise your hand. You are an adult and have the right to speak whenever you like.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by DiddyDec
I'm assuming you are at uni. You don't have to raise your hand. You are an adult and have the right to speak whenever you like.

you have the right to speak when the coordinator of the conversation gives you the right to speak
am I not get fully understood? wtf do you call it in english?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by studos
is there a solution for this?

Yeah, it's called not thinking twice about it and getting over it.

In secondary school and college I was that person. The main reason I did it was because I knew no one else would put their hand up so we'd all be waiting there for ages just waiting in awkward silence until the teacher felt forced to pick the most unwilling person to answer. I figured that I knew the answer and had the guts to say it out loud so I could put everyone out of their misery and just say it. I knew the sooner I did that, the sooner the lesson would end because it would help move things along.

It's nothing special. Definitely not a "know-it-all attitude" as you describe it. It's just that the person does their reading and knows their stuff so they're simply helping the lecturer move things along. I absolutely love people who do it because if it wasn't for them then you have to deal with the awkward silence during which no one wants to say the answer so you're just sitting there hoping to god that someone replies to the lecturer. If it really annoys you then play the person at their game or put your hand up before the lecturer finishes asking the question. It's not something that should be annoying you as much it seems to be doing.
Original post by studos

you have the right to speak when the coordinator of the conversation gives you the right to speak
am I not get fully understood? wtf do you call it in english?

When the professor asks a question to the group he expects answer. And so somebody gives him the answer. That somebody just so happens to have actually done the work and knows the answer. If you have that much of a problem, work harder.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm guessing all of the people who are saying "it's just because he does the work"/ "he just knows his stuff"/ "that's normal" are that guy in class.
75% of classes have one, they're annoying as ****, and everyone else hates them.
I've never discovered a solution, you just have to grin and bear it and hope that either he realises he's a doofus, or the professor realises he's a doofus before long.
Reply 13
Hey, I dont think the kid means to be rude (we all do it from time to time) but I get what you mean it can be annoying when you dont even have time to think. To get past it I'd say talk to the professor about it or simply just say to the kid he needs to let everyone take turns....but to be quite honest I dont think he's in the wrong its great that he's enthusiastic and unless he's obviously doing it to annoy everyone else then I dont think you should be angry about it, but do it get it sorted if its disrupting you. Remember its your education dont let anyone come in the way of it so if you feel like your not getting the most out of your lessons then speak up, but of course do it in a polite way :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Vixen47
Yeah, it's called not thinking twice about it and getting over it.

In secondary school and college I was that person. The main reason I did it was because I knew no one else would put their hand up so we'd all be waiting there for ages just waiting in awkward silence until the teacher felt forced to pick the most unwilling person to answer. I figured that I knew the answer and had the guts to say it out loud so I could put everyone out of their misery and just say it. I knew the sooner I did that, the sooner the lesson would end because it would help move things along.

It's nothing special. Definitely not a "know-it-all attitude" as you describe it. It's just that the person does their reading and knows their stuff so they're simply helping the lecturer move things along. I absolutely love people who do it because if it wasn't for them then you have to deal with the awkward silence during which no one wants to say the answer so you're just sitting there hoping to god that someone replies to the lecturer. If it really annoys you then play the person at their game or put your hand up before the lecturer finishes asking the question. It's not something that should be annoying you as much it seems to be doing.

how can you really be that stupid?

you can simply prevent that "awkward silence" (sic) by raising your hand and then the teacher will give you the right to speak ONLY if you are the only person who raises his hand!!! what does raising hand has to do with the "awkward silence"??? you're completely dumb!
Reply 15
Original post by bananaminion
I'm guessing all of the people who are saying "it's just because he does the work"/ "he just knows his stuff"/ "that's normal" are that guy in class.
75% of classes have one, they're annoying as ****, and everyone else hates them.
I've never discovered a solution, you just have to grin and bear it and hope that either he realises he's a doofus, or the professor realises he's a doofus before long.

oh, really thanks for your post, for a moment I thought I was crazy!
Reply 16
Original post by DiddyDec
When the professor asks a question to the group he expects answer. And so somebody gives him the answer. That somebody just so happens to have actually done the work and knows the answer. If you have that much of a problem, work harder.

are you that dumb or you're kidding me?

many know the answer, but they are not that rude to shout it, otherwise nobody would be heard!
Original post by studos
oh, really thanks for your post, for a moment I thought I was crazy!

Haha definitely not, tsr is in no way representative of any student population, don't take most of the responses here as being general opinion! I'm sure most of your other classmates agree with you as well!

In my politics class last year, we had a girl who literally read down the page as we were going through the book, and then came out with stuff that was there, but our teacher wasn't stupid, he'd just be like "ok we can all read too, we're gonna get to there in a few minutes" - it's just the worst!
Original post by studos
are you that dumb or you're kidding me?

many know the answer, but they are not that rude to shout it, otherwise nobody would be heard!

Well they should learn that the loudest person gets heard. They aren't going to make it in the world if they can't adapt to the situation. If the professor likes someone who shouts out, they should also do the same.
I think he's just enthusiastic; he clearly enjoys the subject.
In physics, I'm basically that kid. Trust me, those kids never mean any harm by it; they just enjoy what they're doing.
You can't remove someone's passion for a subject so just relax. He's not trying to prove anything - don't feel that you're in competition.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest