The Student Room Group

Info on medicine?

so my question is...How many applicants apply to medicine? and how many actually get an offer? and are there any unis that aren't that competitive?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
~12 applicants per place for the least competitive unis.
but its usually only around 6-7 applicant per offer
Original post by Wardaa_
so my question is...How many applicants apply to medicine? and how many actually get an offer?

www.ucas.com/system/files/march-2014-deadline-analysis-subjects.pdf

97820 applications made to medical and dental schools in 2014. Divide that by four to get an approximate number of applicants = 24455 applicants. Though obviously that will include dental applicants too (but there really aren't many of those, probably less than 2000 or 3000 I'm guessing.

There are about 8000 places each year. So there you have it, in a nutshell there are way more applicants than available places.

and are there any unis that aren't that competitive?

No such thing really. See here:

www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Competition_Ratios
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy

97820 applications made to medical and dental schools in 2014. Divide that by four to get an approximate number of applicants = 24455 applicants. Though obviously that will include dental applicants too (but there really aren't many of those, probably less than 1000 I'm guessing.

There are about 8000 places each year. So there you have it, in a nutshell there are way more applicants than available places.

wow that is shocking! the likely hood of even getting a place is very slim....I dont think i stand a chance
Original post by Wardaa_
wow that is shocking! the likely hood of even getting a place is very slim....I dont think i stand a chance

What sort of figures were you thinking of before you saw these?
Reply 6
What sort of figures were you thinking of before you saw these?

I thought about 1,509 applicants and Atleast offers of about 500 and places 350 maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wardaa_
I thought about 1,509 applicants and Atleast offers of about 500 and places 350 maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile

350 first year students is the intake for a single London medical school alone!

Think about it like this - each year a certain number of doctors stop practicing medicine and a cohort of final year medical students graduate and begin working as junior doctors to replace them, and to keep the health service growing.

Do you think that 350 new doctors per year is enough for the entire country?
Reply 8
350 first year students is the intake for a single London medical school alone!

Think about it like this - each year a certain number of doctors stop practicing medicine and a cohort of final year medical students graduate and begin working as junior doctors to replace them, and to keep the health service growing.

Do you think that 350 new doctors per year is enough for the entire country?

Nope not at all Infact I think we need a lot more doctors

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

97820 applications made to medical and dental schools in 2014. Divide that by four to get an approximate number of applicants = 24455 applicants. Though obviously that will include dental applicants too (but there really aren't many of those, probably less than 2000 or 3000 I'm guessing.

Might be missing something here but wouldn't that only be 3 applicants per place?
Original post by Scott.M
Might be missing something here but wouldn't that only be 3 applicants per place?

Everyone gets 4 applications, so an individual medical school will have ~1/10 getting in. Make 4 applications at 1/10 and you find yourself with an overall probability of 4/10 (ignoring the fact that admissions aren't random).
Original post by Scott.M

Overall yes, you could see it that way, but that's a slightly misleading way of looking at it imho since you're assuming that all medical schools have equal numbers of applicants and available places. The application process has several stages (at each of which a different quantity of applicants get eliminated) and the med schools all have individual ways of selecting applicants for interviews and then for offers that thinking of it as a simple 3:1 ratio doesn't really make sense imo.

But I'm no statistician, if I'm talking nonsense feel free to correct me.
Overall yes, you could see it that way, but that's a slightly misleading way of looking at it imho since you're assuming that all medical schools have equal numbers of applicants and available places. The application process has several stages (at each of which a different quantity of applicants get eliminated) and the med schools all have individual ways of selecting applicants for interviews and then for offers that thinking of it as a simple 3:1 ratio doesn't really make sense imo.

But I'm no statistician, if I'm talking nonsense feel free to correct me.

You do know lots of people apply without even meeting the entry requirements, this year 200 people who applied to HYMS didn't. So all in all, the odds are not that bad.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jaska
You do know lots of people apply without even meeting the entry requirements, this year 200 people who applied to HYMS didn't.

I know this, which is why I said "the application process has several stages"...the first stage normally being eliminating the late applicants or those who don't meet the academic entry requirements...but they still contribute to the total number of applications made to UCAS no?
I know this, which is why I said "the application process has several stages"...the first stage normally being eliminating the late applicants or those who don't meet the academic entry requirements...but they still contribute to the total number of applications made to UCAS no?

They contribute to the figures which give medicine the reputation of being really competitive, but if you have the right grades/ukcat it can be like applying to any other course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jaska
They contribute to the figures which give medicine the reputation of being really competitive, but if you have the right grades/ukcat it can be like applying to any other course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dat confidence. Especially from an applicant.

For the record, I made that point in the TSR Med Student's society a few days ago myself but you're kidding yourself if you think (even after applying strategically) that getting into med school is just as easy as getting into an average uni for a normal, under-subscribed degree.
Dat confidence. Especially from an applicant.

For the record, I made that point in the TSR Med Student's society a few days ago myself but you're kidding yourself if you think (even after applying strategically) that getting into med school is just as easy as getting into an average uni for a normal, under-subscribed degree.

Obviously I'm not comparing it with applying for some mickey mouse degree, but any respected degree in a well known university can be just as hard as applying to medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jaska
Obviously I'm not comparing it with applying for some mickey mouse degree, but any respected degree in a well known university can be just as hard as applying to medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No arguments there, but you need to compare likes to likes. This thread is about medicine overall - find me another degree which overall is just as competitive as medicine (excl vet med and dentistry).

It's not like applying to "any other course" at all which is what you asserted. But by all means, continue if you really want to have the last word. Or just wait a few months and we can talk again once you've sent off your application and heard back from some of your choices.
Reply 18
Original post by Jaska

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have to totally disagree! I only know 1 person (excluding oxbridge and medicine and dentistry) who got less than 5 offers and she got 4. And I have friends doing very respected degrees at Oxford, Birmingham, Newcastle, Bristol, Edinburgh, Durham etc. So we arent talking 5 offers to do physical theatre at the university of noonecaresville!
On the other hand (admittedly smaller sample) of the 9 medical applicants I know (including myself) we got 7 out of a possible 36 med offers and only 11 interviews and only 4 of us are going to med school. These people are spread accross the country from Newcastle to manchester to London etc so it's not like we all were at the same school which would obviously have weight in the stats. I should also mention a mix of state and private school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Jaska

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can have a near perfect application and still be rejected - and if you don't believe me, PM me for details.

60% of applicants get no offers in any cycle. To my direct knowledge that includes applicants with the academic credentials to secure an Oxbridge place for med, great UKCAT/BMAT and all the soft skills and w/e as well. It is incredibly competitive, and if you think otherwise, you increase your chances of being in that 60%. Always, always do masses of research and apply smart to avoid disappointment. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending