The Student Room Group

GCSEs

Hi please can I just ask, the universities that look at GCSE grades to study medicine, do they look at all your grades or just your top 7 for example? I am totally confused on this.

I have just finished my GCSEs and did ok enough but got a 6 for English Lang. I know that is enough to meet requirements but not sure if this would be one of the results they would count? I did get 8 9s 1 8 and two 7s but worried about the 6. Thanks for any info
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Astiiii
Hi please can I just ask, the universities that look at GCSE grades to study medicine, do they look at all your grades or just your top 7 for example? I am totally confused on this.

I have just finished my GCSEs and did ok enough but got a 6 for English Lang. I know that is enough to meet requirements but not sure if this would be one of the results they would count? I did get 8 9s 1 8 and two 7s but worried about the 6. Thanks for any info

Firstly, congrats on your amazing result.

Universities look for your overall performance. They mainly assess you on whether you have the ability to keep up with the work while producing fab results. Since medicine is a highly competitive field, you are definitely in a great position in terms of your overall GCSE grades. Make sure you keep up the good work throughout your A-Levels and hit those entry requirements, if not all As and A*s.

Hope this helps.
PS. I am not an expert in this so, please feel free to correct me.
Original post by Astiiii

depends on the uni, e.g. hyms look at top 6, notts/lincoln look at top 8, while leicester and aston look at eng lang, maths, bio and chem and then the top 4 or 2 out of the others. also, the different unis weight gcses differently. kings look at how many 8s/9s you got.
Reply 3
Original post by Jez15
Firstly, congrats on your amazing result.

Universities look for your overall performance. They mainly assess you on whether you have the ability to keep up with the work while producing fab results. Since medicine is a highly competitive field, you are definitely in a great position in terms of your overall GCSE grades. Make sure you keep up the good work throughout your A-Levels and hit those entry requirements, if not all As and A*s.

Hope this helps.
PS. I am not an expert in this so, please feel free to correct me.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by reubenn05
depends on the uni, e.g. hyms look at top 6, notts/lincoln look at top 8, while leicester and aston look at eng lang, maths, bio and chem and then the top 4 or 2 out of the others. also, the different unis weight gcses differently. kings look at how many 8s/9s you got.

Thank you :smile: where do you get all the info from please? Like exactly what uni asks for what?
Original post by Astiiii
Thank you :smile: where do you get all the info from please? Like exactly what uni asks for what?

often it's on the uni websites or on admissions policy/selection procedure documents you can find by googling 'x uni medicine selection process'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending