The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

don't say "see you WERE hooked" coz theres no way an addict can go 4 months without something and still be hooked... otherwise you'd have to spend your whole life in rehab

Not heard of 'once a smoker, always a smoker' or 'relapse'? Habits are very hard to kick, and very easy to slip back into.
sunscreen
lol 1 isnt gonna get you hooked or cause significant damage!

i used to smoke LOADS then 1 day some arse said i cudnt quit... and i said i could quit if i wanted to

to prove him right i didnt smoke for 4 months, having never wanted to stop in the first place i started again after 4 months

don't say "see you WERE hooked" coz theres no way an addict can go 4 months without something and still be hooked... otherwise you'd have to spend your whole life in rehab

anyway with me now i can take it or leave it... i cant really afford to smoke so i mostly dont but having 1 or 2 a day isnt gonna make me go "OMG I NEED 20 NOWWWWWWWWWWWW"

Evidently you havn't tried a speedball.
Reply 22
mipmapped
Good on you.

Thank you.

Don't think it was the nicotine that got me smoking more initially.
It was a habit, I enjoyed it.
And it's breaking the habits (like one after eating, one at the bus stop etc) that has proved more difficult than the nicotine.

So if you have one a day, and that one a day becomes a habit, then it could grow from there.
mipmapped
Not heard of 'once a smoker, always a smoker' or 'relapse'? Habits are very hard to kick, and very easy to slip back into.

You are too stupid to use the internet. Go and jump out the nearest 3rd floor window.
You are too stupid to use the internet. Go and jump out the nearest 3rd floor window.

Are you suggesting then, that people who have previously quit smoking as are unlikely to start smoking again as someone who has never smoked?
Reply 25
Yes, smoking is bad. But you're smoking a cigarette, not doing crack.
mipmapped
Are you suggesting then, that people who have previously quit smoking as are unlikely to start smoking again as someone who has never smoked?

Im suggesting after 4 months of having given up, starting again is a choice not a compulsion.
Im suggesting after 4 months of having given up, starting again is a choice not a compulsion.

You're attempting to generalise from your own experience.

There are lots of ex-smokers, that in times of crisis, or drunkeness revert back to smoking.
Because they are addicted? No. A lot of people on a diet eat a Big Mac when stressed. Are they addicted? No.
Because they are addicted? No. A lot of people on a diet eat a Big Mac when stressed. Are they addicted? No.

Smokers are recovering addicts. If they indulge, it counts as a relapse.

No different to alcoholics or heroin addicts.

Any one of these addicts will find it very difficult to manage consumption of their substance of choice in a non-addictive way.
Reply 30
fizzerz
Is 1 cigarette per day enough to significantly damage a persons health? i know all the dangers of smoking and blah blah blah but I was just curious as to weather just 1 a day would be all that bad?

how tescos say it, every little bit helps.
And taking smoking and fast food to be analogous doesn't really make sense. Well, to me it doesn't anyway.
Those addicted to smoking are recovering addicts. You can, in theory, smoke 40 cigarettes a day and not be addicted.
Cigarettes are not as addictive as a lot of people make out.

What you are saying implies that everyone who drinks (no matter how infrequently or rarely) is addicted and will struggle to regulate their usage. I dont think this is what you meant.
mipmapped
And taking smoking and fast food to be analogous doesn't really make sense. Well, to me it doesn't anyway.

Both are bad for your health, both are over consumed by a lot of people, both can be addictive.

Edit: Rather both are consumed in LARGE QUANTITIES by a lot of people...
Those addicted to smoking are recovering addicts. You can, in theory, smoke 40 cigarettes a day and not be addicted.
Cigarettes are not as addictive as a lot of people make out.

:rolleyes:

What you are saying implies that everyone who drinks (no matter how infrequently or rarely) is addicted and will struggle to regulate their usage. I dont think this is what you meant.

No, it's not what I meant, because I implied no-such thing.
lolly83

Don't start, I developed asthma at 18 after smoking for four years,

Interesting. My Father claims his asthma was cured by smoking - he hasn't had any symptoms since he began smoking and suffered from chronic asthma during his youth.
Both are bad for your health, both are over consumed by a lot of people, both can be addictive.

Are you really suggesting that fast food and cigarettes have similar addictive qualities?

I don't see what the mass-consumption of cigarettes and fast food has todo with this particular discussion.
1 a day won't affect your health.

Fact, no matter how much you smoke, if you live 20 years past the last cig your lungs have repaired themselves to optimum ability.

Exercise is the key to a long healthy life.
mipmapped
Smokers are recovering addicts. If they indulge, it counts as a relapse.

No different to alcoholics or heroin addicts.

Any one of these addicts will find it very difficult to manage consumption of their substance of choice in a non-addictive way.

Smokers are recovering addicts? Well how can they both be "recovering" and "smokers"?
You say (presumably this is what you meant) that those who have given up cigarettes but indulge themselves relapse. But what do they relapse into? Are they relapsing into a habit or are they relapsing into an old habit solely for the duration of that cigarette. I shared a cigarette with a girl whilst drunk in a club the other night. Have I become a cigarette smoker again? Am I addicted? No. Do I still possess the ability to smoke? Yes.

I think this is my problem with your post. Im not being pedantic for the sake of it. You didnt express yourself clearly so whilst it is clear you are intelligent, and probably have some cogent arguments to bring to the debate, I dont haver a clue what you are saying.
mipmapped
Are you really suggesting that fast food and cigarettes have similar addictive qualities?

I don't see what the mass-consumption of cigarettes and fast food has todo with this particular discussion.

I edited my post.

They arent equal in addictive strength. But neither are cigarettes and heroin...

I dont even understand what this discussion is about.

Latest

Trending

Trending