The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Blaming your actions on being drunk. There's the sign of a real man. :wink:
I see nothing immoral about smoking a cigarette so "blame" doesnt even come into it.
I only mentioned that I was drunk as mipmapped had said earlier that this was a typical instance of "relapse".
Richy_Boi
Blaming your actions on being drunk. There's the sign of a real man. :wink:

A girl was involved, he must be so manly.
Merely by mentioning the fact you were drunk could be intepretted as a tacit excuse, but fair point.

I do agree with what you're saying and that some people are trying to give a a negative label to the action of having "smoked".
Reply 44
sunscreen
lol 1 isnt gonna get you hooked or cause significant damage!

i used to smoke LOADS then 1 day some arse said i cudnt quit... and i said i could quit if i wanted to

to prove him right i didnt smoke for 4 months, having never wanted to stop in the first place i started again after 4 months

Well it would appear to all but a complete buffoon that the person who challenged you was indeed correct, whereas, alas, you were proven to be wrong.

It is blatantly obvious that the thread has been hijacked by a few simpletons; so lets get things back to basics.

i) If you regularily smoke 1 fag a day then it is highly likely that over time the amount will increase.
ii) smoking one ciggie a day will not do any noticable damage to your health.
iii) Addiction does not in any way infer "large quantity" A person may be addicted to one cigarette a day, another person may simply choose to smoke 20. That said cigs are incredibly addictive, the chances of becoming addicted is extremeley high.
iv)If someone stops for four months and then starts again this could well be down to the fact that the person is indeed addicted; only a dimwit would claim that it is through choice.

It really is rather simple, smoking is bad for you, it makes you smell, it takes your breath away, it is not socially acceptable in an increasing number of settings, it is expensive, it could well cause serious illness (death is sometimes the easy way out) and it really is a very stupid choice to make.

Alas it is a choice I made many years ago, a choice wich really wasnt very sensible..

Still smoking
PC
Smokers are recovering addicts? Well how can they both be "recovering" and "smokers"?

Well, I suppose you win on a technicality then.

You say (presumably this is what you meant) that those who have given up cigarettes but indulge themselves relapse.

Relapse can be used as both verb and noun.

I shared a cigarette with a girl whilst drunk in a club the other night. Have I become a cigarette smoker again? Am I addicted? No. Do I still possess the ability to smoke? Yes.

You're not someone who's smoked for 30 years. The dynamics of the habit are completely different.

More to the point, what I said was that ex-smokers would find it more difficult smoking cigarettes and not let it once again become habitual than it would for, say, me, to have a cigarette twice a week.

I think this is my problem with your post. Im not being pedantic for the sake of it. You didnt express yourself clearly so whilst it is clear you are intelligent, and probably have some cogent arguments to bring to the debate, I dont haver a clue what you are saying.

It's not the most eloquent think I've ever written, but I don't think it was difficult to understand as you make out.
Remember he lives upon Olympus.

A true Herculean man, Greece's greatest hero and master of the keyboard.
But neither are cigarettes and heroin...

No, cigarettes are far more addictive.
mipmapped
No, cigarettes are far more addictive.

Haha. You rock. I almost fell for your arguments for a minute! :biggrin:

Incidentally, did you know that alcohol is physically addictive? This means that sudden withdrawal from alcoholic can lead an alcoholic to die. This is untrue of most drugs (tobacco, THC (cannabis), mdma, cocaine...) but is true of the most widely consumed intoxicant (ignoring caffeine and sugar as intoxicants).
PeterCrane

That said cigs are incredibly addictive, the chances of becoming addicted is extremeley high.
iv)If someone stops for four months and then starts again this could well be down to the fact that the person is indeed addicted; only a dimwit would claim that it is through choice.

As Richy Boi says, I am from Olympus, but I do not think I am terribly atypical. I gave up cigarettes after 18 months of smoking (a relatively small amount - around 20 a week plus about half that in joints). I stopped straight away.
Circumstantial, but I do not see cigarettes as being that addictive in small quantities.

Also, you day that "this could well be", accepting that there are two options available and then say categorically that "only a dimwit", thus contradicting yourself!
So which is it?

The res of your points are spot on.
Yes.

I smoked say 2 cigs a night for half a year. The day i quit i felt ill, then followed by big time shakes the next day and the inability to sleep. After two/three days i was fine.

Edit - Those cigs didn't have filters, if you know what i mean...
Haha. You rock. I almost fell for your arguments for a minute!

The proportion of herion users that are addicts is much lower than the proportion of tabacco users that are addicts. This can be used as a measure of how addictive a behviour is.

Anyway.

Incidentally...

Yes.
Do you have a source for that? WOW if it is true.

As for the post before that, who says we are looking at smokers of 30 years? Also, this argument is tired and has meandered far too far from the point. Whatever that is anyway.
Phonicsdude
Haha. You rock. I almost fell for your arguments for a minute! :biggrin:

Incidentally, did you know that alcohol is physically addictive? This means that sudden withdrawal from alcoholic can lead an alcoholic to die. This is untrue of most drugs (tobacco, THC (cannabis), mdma, cocaine...) but is true of the most widely consumed intoxicant (ignoring caffeine and sugar as intoxicants).

Cocaine is physically addictive.

Richy_Boi
Edit - Those cigs didn't have filters, if you know what i mean...

I fail to see how weed fits into all this. Does it somehow make your point more valid? :confused:
Reply 54
It won't do any significant damage. It's like some people drink a few beers everyday, some people eat unhealty food every day, and some people don't wash every day but no one gives two shi*s about those kinda thinsg which are all bad for you. About being addicted, you won't get addicted, but I smoke between 1 and 10 a week, and I've given up fine, but it's just when other people smoke around me I want one. In some ways its worse when you're on less because you know you won't get "properly" addicted again, or that it's really going to have an effect. There's less motivation, but generally speaking it's not hard, cos I've just done it.

EVERYBODY SMOKE! IT'S FUN AND STOPS YOU BEING A BASTARD.
Shreerac1
Cocaine is physically addictive.

So am I. What's your point? :rofl:

I fail to see how weed fits into all this. Does it somehow make your point more valid? :confused:
He doesn't have a point. Now masturbate and calm down.
Reply 56
He doesn't have a point. Now masturbate and calm down.

lmao, the irony is, he porbably will.
Reply 57
I seriously doubt 1 a day is all that much more damaging than say a pint a day. If you want 1 a day and it helps you relax then **** it why not? People worry too much these days....
34 person

lmao, the irony is, he porbably will.

The sad thing is I've been masturbating over this thread all day.
Reply 59
Shreerac1
The sad thing is I've been masturbating over this thread all day.

Oh don't worry. I mean it's better to masturbate over smoking rather than do it surely?

Latest

Trending

Trending