The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
sunscreen
lol 1 isnt gonna get you hooked or cause significant damage!

i used to smoke LOADS then 1 day some arse said i cudnt quit... and i said i could quit if i wanted to

to prove him right i didnt smoke for 4 months, having never wanted to stop in the first place i started again after 4 months

don't say "see you WERE hooked" coz theres no way an addict can go 4 months without something and still be hooked... otherwise you'd have to spend your whole life in rehab

anyway with me now i can take it or leave it... i cant really afford to smoke so i mostly dont but having 1 or 2 a day isnt gonna make me go "OMG I NEED 20 NOWWWWWWWWWWWW"

You're still a smoker then? So, in effect, you haven't "quit" at all? If you've ever smoked, you're never a non-smoker, only an ex-smoker, lots of ex-smokers can go 6 months without a cigarette, but more often than not you'll find them with a fag in their hand again, eventually.
The truth is nobody knows what the perfectly healthy life is. This does not mean one cannot try to live it if one chooses, but even living in a city (or dare I say it, in the West - living in the Andes or the Amazon might be a bit less polluted) or eating fast food is a derogation from any serious attempt.
We automatically accept and embrace a way of life which is less than healthy. So it seems strange to me that we should condemn others for having barriers further out than our own.
We justify living in the UK rather than the Andes or the Amazon because it makes us happier and we experience a high standard of living. If smoking or doing lines of coke makes us happier then go for it.
The argument that "oh but it dusnt make you happier coz u die" is circular having accepted the first few sentences. Living in the West makes you die by breathing in polluted air and the average joe has a terrible diet (the World Health Organisation says that lifestyle diseases are the biggest killer in the West). It is the perception which counts.
IN DEFENCE OF SUNSCREAN

She never claimed to have given up. She said she gave up for 4 months to prove that she could do it if you wanted to. It was a sort of bet with a friend. She didnt want to give up for health reasons. She never intended to give up permanently.
34 person
Oh don't worry. I mean it's better to masturbate over smoking rather than do it surely?

Smoking is healthy. :tsr2:
Reply 64
I don't think drugs should generally be brought into this argument. There a completely different issue. Ultimatley they can make you a hell of a lot happier than fags, but they also cause some of the biggest social and individual problems.

Smoking, however, is enjoyable, has no bad social effects (like alcohol and drugs), because no you won't get lung cancer if you inhale a few breaths of on the street from a stupid chav smoking. To be honest, although smoking's a killer so are plenty of other things. For some reason everyone's got a thing about smoking, probably because the government says so and it smells a bit manky. But the point is, there isn't really a major problem, we're just making it one. If people want to give up, they will. If they don't there's not a chance in hell of them giving up. No posters or government plans are gonna help them.

It all comes down to individual choice as per usual, and seeing as we all want to live in a democracy I don't see the problem.

See politics works sometimes.
Reply 65
Phonicsdude
The truth is nobody knows what the perfectly healthy life is. This does not mean one cannot try to live it if one chooses, but even living in a city (or dare I say it, in the West - living in the Andes or the Amazon might be a bit less polluted) or eating fast food is a derogation from any serious attempt.
We automatically accept and embrace a way of life which is less than healthy. So it seems strange to me that we should condemn others for having barriers further out than our own.
We justify living in the UK rather than the Andes or the Amazon because it makes us happier and we experience a high standard of living. If smoking or doing lines of coke makes us happier then go for it.
The argument that "oh but it dusnt make you happier coz u die" is circular having accepted the first few sentences. Living in the West makes you die by breathing in polluted air and the average joe has a terrible diet (the World Health Organisation says that lifestyle diseases are the biggest killer in the West). It is the perception which counts.

Thats true, and I completely agree with you.

The argument falls down when you consider what cigarettes actually bring to your life; nothing.
Reply 66
34 person
I don't think drugs should generally be brought into this argument. There a completely different issue. Ultimatley they can make you a hell of a lot happier than fags, but they also cause some of the biggest social and individual problems.

Smoking, however, is enjoyable, has no bad social effects (like alcohol and drugs), because no you won't get lung cancer if you inhale a few breaths of on the street from a stupid chav smoking. To be honest, although smoking's a killer so are plenty of other things. For some reason everyone's got a thing about smoking, probably because the government says so and it smells a bit manky. But the point is, there isn't really a major problem, we're just making it one. If people want to give up, they will. If they don't there's not a chance in hell of them giving up. No posters or government plans are gonna help them.

It all comes down to individual choice as per usual, and seeing as we all want to live in a democracy I don't see the problem.

See politics works sometimes.

Its easy enough to get cancer without touching a cigarette, why try and significantly increase your chances?
x.narb.x
Its easy enough to get cancer without touching a cigarette, why try and significantly increase your chances?

For a laff
Reply 68
x.narb.x

because stress can cause high blood pressure/heart attacks/depression etc etc............ either way you're gonna get cancer
Reply 69
or some sort of fatal illness
because stress can cause high blood pressure/heart attacks/depression etc etc............ either way you're gonna get cance

You know that nicotine causes an increase in heart rate, and a raising of blood pressure, right?
Im posting anonymous as ive had neg rep for saying something similar before

Thing is i really want to try smoking. I work with a lot of chefs and most of them smoke. I see them all come out when its really busy and have a smoke then go back all calm and im just sitting there really craving to smoke. I havent ever smoked (except like when i was 5ish having a blow on this uncles pipe). The only thing thats stopping me is the reaction of my friends. Kinda the wrong way round eh? My friends are all so against smoking, probably due to the school constantly banging it into you how bad it is but actually probably cos it is so bad for you aswell

I would love to try smoking though....
Narb: This is not a reason to tell someone else to stop smoking. The perceived cool factor of smoking, cigarettes use as a destressant and their ability to cut appetite are all reasons why someone might feel they are beneficial.
They may well be an over-priced inefficient way of obtaining all three results but I think buying a Big Mac is a horribly soggy, unsatisfying way of satisfying hunger. I am not going to condemn others for going to McDonalds.
The perceived cool factor of smoking, cigarettes use as a destressant and their ability to cut appetite are all reasons why someone might feel they are beneficial.

If that's what you're looking for, just chew the tabacco.

Or eat nicorette.
Reply 74
mipmapped
You know that nicotine causes an increase in heart rate, and a raising of blood pressure, right?

yeah, but the fact is so does stress. If you smoke a fag it'll bring the stress down, and yes maybe will increase your heart rate etc. but the fact is, isn't it better to geta little release attached with bad blood pressure and stuff, rather than just blood pressure?

well depends on who you are, but from that perpective I really don't think smoking is so bad.
yeah, but the fact is so does stress. If you smoke a fag it'll bring the stress down, and yes maybe will increase your heart rate etc. but the fact is, isn't it better to geta little release attached with bad blood pressure and stuff, rather than just blood pressure?

The stress will raise your blood pressure. Any drop in blood pressure from the relaxing act of smoking is likely offset by the nicotine.
Reply 76
34 person

well depends on who you are, but from that perpective I really don't think smoking is so bad.

You are bloody stupid, stop chatting crap. Nicotine increases levels of the hormone cortisol(the stress hormone), it also raises heart-rate and blood pressure. None of those effects are beneficial at all to your health. People who argue with absolutely no idea what they're talking about, do my head in.
mipmapped
If that's what you're looking for, just chew the tabacco.

Or eat nicorette.

No....i like the concept of actually smoking. Chewing tabbacco just seems dirty and something american hilbillies do (yes i know im stereotyping)

I suppose the main reason i want to do it is for stress but also cos i would just like to try it.....(want to try everything before i die mentality)
Reply 78
x.narb.x
You are bloody stupid, stop chatting crap. Nicotine increases levels of the hormone cortisol(the stress hormone), it also raises heart-rate and blood pressure. None of those effects are beneficial at all to your health. People who argue with absolutely no idea what they're talking about, do my head in.

I'm not talking crap, it's just a kind of balancing out effect. But I know the fact still stands smoking is bad for you and you shouldn't really do it. happy?
I dont care whether it's placebo or what, but smoking a cigarette does help to destress you. And a LOT of people say this.
Cigarettes are bad for you. This is hardly breaking news.

Latest

Trending

Trending