The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i would just like to try it.....(want to try everything before i die mentality)

There's a quip in there somewhere...

for stress

Just take Valium, it doesn't smell so bad for the rest of us.
Reply 81
Phonicsdude
I dont care whether it's placebo or what, but smoking a cigarette does help to destress you. And a LOT of people say this.
Cigarettes are bad for you. This is hardly breaking news.

No, it doesn't help "destress" you, as you put it. For a smoker who is addicted, it might, but for anybody else who isn't stupid enough to get addicted in the first place, it increases stress. Smokers on average have elevated levels of cortisol at rest, thats a very very bad thing for the long term.

I'm bored of this now anyway, you can try and justify your stupidity till you're blue in the face, the fact remains, there are no benefits of smoking.
Reply 82
Apparently some people can't tell the difference between a chemical dependancy and a force of habit.

If you've never smoked don't dish out preachy advice about addictiveness. It's perfectly easy for most people to smoke casually and give up on a whim. Picking up smoking after a four month period away from them does not constitute an addiction, it constitutes a personal choice.

Smoking is relaxing, it feels nice. The same way a glass of wine does. Why do people find this so difficult to believe? People don't smoke just for sake of putting a stick in their mouth.
Reply 83
Phonicsdude
You are talking BULL. 1 cigarette a day is not enough to get you addicted. It might create a routinal dependence: but then some people may choose to brush their hair in a certain way and do it every single day. A re they addicted to a method of brushing their hair?

It is certainly not going to improve your health, but the detriment to your health of smoking just one cigarette a day is minimal.

Edit: Im talking as someone who smoked weed for 2 years and cigarettes for 18 months (both involve inhaling tobacco smoke). Dont give me bull about addiction. I might have smoked between 1 and 20 cigarettes a week in that time (usually closer to 1 than 20) and 5 weeks ago I decided to stop and did so with no problems. I might be a fairly strong person, but anyone who smokes around 20 cigs a week will not have too many problems giving up. It becomes a routine and gives you something to do. There is no physical dependence created like there can be with alcohol on a small amount of cigarettes.

i think you need a cigarette
Reply 84
As the above poster said, smoking feels good. Inhaling and exhaling feels nice. Sometimes, it can even taste nice (menthol). Granted, it probably won't feel nice when they cart you off to the hospital, but there ya have it.

And as for the ''it disturbs people around you'' comments... I drink, but not all that much. And drunk, loud, obnoxious, aggressive people who go out on weekend binges disturb ME, throw up on MY street, and cost the NHS money in their drink-related illnesses and A and E costs.

But they weren't the ones who got kicked out of bars and pubs when the smoking ban came in. So wohoo guys, you got rid of potential lung cancer via 2nd hand-smoke.... you still have a major social problem and people who die every week from drink-driving.

Latest

Trending

Trending