The Student Room Group

Fresher's blog from an aspie :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by KiwiMonkey96
I see someone every week up in student support, a mentor really. I've never had someone come up to my room. I don't know if they would allow it or not. Being an adult now staff at uni have less strict guidlines than at school so it's hard to say.

I didn't think of that. The uni facilities for people with disabilities seem quite rubbish actually, certainly compared to college. They have a small area with 3 tiny rooms and a reception, and that's about it. so like nowhere to do work or get help with work, I am assuming these offices are where the advisers and other staff work and you go there to see them like to review things not for regular sessions.
Also, the halls are not on the uni campus, so if it was an hour session then I'd waste half of it (halls about 15 mins away, so 30 there and back) walking.
Reply 61
You're female so you're going to have an easier ride.
Reply 62
Original post by Plutonian
You're female so you're going to have an easier ride.

What do you mean?
Reply 63
Original post by dipka
What do you mean?

Autistic traits aren't as noticeable or undesirable in females. Quiet, shy, awkward? Not a problem if you're the passive sex. Big problem if you're a guy.
Reply 64
Original post by Celebi899
Although I see your reasoning, I don't think your entirely fair. Both genders have their difficulties with autism, yes people have it more difficult than others, but I can't see males just throwing themselves at females with autism cause they're quiet, shy and awkward without a problem getting in the way. Plus I think it is hard for anyone who is quiet,shy and awkward to find friends anyway, girls can be judgemental just as much as boys. It can be really hard to find anyone who is willing to accept you for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went to a local autism group once. All of the females there had had multiple partners. The males were mostly 30+ year old virgins who lived with their parents. A few of the males had had sex but it was always with one of the other autistic girls. I never met a single male in the group who had ever dated a neurotypical female. I really don't understand why psychiatrists completely brush under the carpet how much of a disadvantage being autistic is for males seeking a relationship.
Reply 65
As much as I hate to say it, I think that's more of an act of desperation, I doubt when outside the males would just swarm to females like I imagined when I read that, and I doubt the females would get as much attention outside the group either. They know they share common difficulties between each other and it probably means a lot to them to have conversations with the opposite sex, something they probably don't usually do.

As someone with autism I'm lucky that I do have friends with both guys and girls (where I live is really nice, everyone's friendly and dead on and understanding) and still being in school I probably don't have the full picture, but I know if you really try you can form relationships, but sometimes it takes a lot takes a lot out of you as a person and can be really draining, but it isn't impossible :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They had neurotypical boyfriends.
Sex aside, the thing that stood out to me most was that virtually none of them had ever had a long term job. The prognosis is grim for autistic people.
Reply 66
Yeah I know it's pretty hard, i had a part-time job interview about 3 weeks ago for a local shop and I messed it up, I got so nervous I started my answers but just stopped mid-sentence, and I just stared at the floor or looked around the interviewer most the time, It's something that I should work on. I have every intention of getting a job, it's just gonna be hell. I did do a summer job at my uncles wedding venue place last summer which was nice :smile: it really brought me out of my shell a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've given up. Trying the self employed route now. If that fails I'm gonna save up and buy a house in Africa (it's cheap and my dad lives there). Failed to achieve anything in this country, no point in staying, may as well just quit Britain, burn my passport and chill out on the beach for the rest of my life.
Reply 67
freshers week is overrated, just get a bunch of leaflets shoved down ure throat
Reply 68
Just saying but I don't think Africa have the disability-helping kind of laws that are in the UK, and whatever, I quit Britain at birth, born in Northern Ireland, live there and got a Irish passport 😎

Posted from TSR Mobile

Obviously I'll only go if I have money.
Original post by dipka
I didn't think of that. The uni facilities for people with disabilities seem quite rubbish actually, certainly compared to college. They have a small area with 3 tiny rooms and a reception, and that's about it. so like nowhere to do work or get help with work, I am assuming these offices are where the advisers and other staff work and you go there to see them like to review things not for regular sessions.
Also, the halls are not on the uni campus, so if it was an hour session then I'd waste half of it (halls about 15 mins away, so 30 there and back) walking.

That's not very good :/ At my uni we have the main offfice. 4 rooms that are used by different people for appointments and stuff and then have a small room that only those with disabilities can use that has a few computers. My accommodation is on campus so I don't have that issue. Is there no on campus accommodation at your uni?
Reply 70
That's not very good :/ At my uni we have the main offfice. 4 rooms that are used by different people for appointments and stuff and then have a small room that only those with disabilities can use that has a few computers. My accommodation is on campus so I don't have that issue. Is there no on campus accommodation at your uni?

Mine is smaller than that. And no, its a smaller campus in a differnt place to the main uni its a part of, so there is a small area i am calling the main campus, then only 1 halls up or down a big hill from that. Then there are 2 subjects in buildings like the other side of the town, which as the needs assessment said I can walk so dont need transport allowance, I thought they were all close, but on wednesday they said there is a minibus from main campus to it, so you just walk to main campus. Not sure what they will do if I cant manage the minibus. I think she might arrange me to stay at main campus for the first few weeks while it is really busy, dont know if that will be my class or just me but she said there is likely to be some lessons there. Basically none knows anything yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dipka
Mine is smaller than that. And no, its a smaller campus in a differnt place to the main uni its a part of, so there is a small area i am calling the main campus, then only 1 halls up or down a big hill from that. Then there are 2 subjects in buildings like the other side of the town, which as the needs assessment said I can walk so dont need transport allowance, I thought they were all close, but on wednesday they said there is a minibus from main campus to it, so you just walk to main campus. Not sure what they will do if I cant manage the minibus. I think she might arrange me to stay at main campus for the first few weeks while it is really busy, dont know if that will be my class or just me but she said there is likely to be some lessons there. Basically none knows anything yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doesn't sound like they've told you a lot. Hopefully it'll all be sorted out :smile:
Reply 72
Doesn't sound like they've told you a lot. Hopefully it'll all be sorted out :smile:

Your right. I think they are trying to help, but it's all just 'we will find out' or 'its not decide yet' so it's really hard to be reassured by anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending