The Student Room Group

Imperial and Cambridge joint second in top 10 Univerisites in the World

Here's the top 10:

1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
2. Imperial College London and University of Cambridge (joint second)
4. Harvard University
5. University College London and University of Oxford (joint fifth)
7. Stanford University
8. California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
9. Princeton
10. Yale

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29086590

Here's the UK Universities Rankings.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I was reading the article this morning

I was amused to see that the primary indicator is "how good other academics think you are" with the secondary indicator being how often academics quote your research"

If there was ever a self-fulfilling prophesy this league table is it
Reply 2
Last time I posted an opinion on ICL, I got carded.
Original post by TenOfThem
I was reading the article this morning

I was amused to see that the primary indicator is "how good other academics think you are" with the secondary indicator being how often academics quote your research"

If there was ever a self-fulfilling prophesy this league table is it

Yes, this kind of... thing is generally a problem in the academic world I think. :/
As a future (in 2 weeks) Imperial student I'm proud, but at this point, does anyone really still care much about the tables?

The weights for various metrics are arbitrarily chosen, and choosing one set of weights over another will change the rankings significantly (at least with the top few). You can choose the weights to make the ranking say more or less anything you want (within reason).

I would only use it as a very very rough guide. Anything in the top 10 are probably about as good.
Original post by Clip

Am I correct in understanding that you don't think ICL deserves to be joint second...?
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Yes, this kind of... thing is generally a problem in the academic world I think. :/

I agree

The thing is - no-one would argue that those institutions are poor

But then I saw Danish immigration is using this league table as a points allocator - the lack of rigour in the table's construction suggests that this is unreasonable
Reply 7
Am I correct in understanding that you don't think ICL deserves to be joint second...?

Will I get carded again?
I always thought Oxford and Cambridge were about the same. I never knew London imperial college was better than Oxford though! Quite interesting news. I honestly think the ranking system for universities has gone to far such as the 'immigration points' which Denmark do. I believe if you get a first in say a maths degree from a university not in the top 10 it still should be recognised the same as if someone got it from say Cambridge.
Original post by Clip
Will I get carded again?

Um... depends on what you say...? Maybe try and be more gentle in your phrasing...?

Spoiler

Original post by Clip

lol
Original post by Adammartin95
I always thought Oxford and Cambridge were about the same. I never knew London imperial college was better than Oxford though! Quite interesting news. I honestly think the ranking system for universities has gone to far such as the 'immigration points' which Denmark do. I believe if you get a first in say a maths degree from a university not in the top 10 it still should be recognised the same as if someone got it from say Cambridge.

Can you expand on what you mean by immigration points which Denmark do?
Reply 12
Um... depends on what you say...? Maybe try and be more gentle in your phrasing...?

Spoiler

Hmm. It's an overrated inner London technology college that trains people to be Jawas.

And there's no girls.

Imperial College : "62% of our graduates are employed within 6 months"

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LutherVan
Can you expand on what you mean by immigration points which Denmark do?

' Denmark's immigration system gives extra points to graduate applicants according to how high their university is ranked.'
Original post by Adammartin95
' Denmark's immigration system gives extra points to graduate applicants according to how high their university is ranked.'

Using which league table(s)? And how significant are the points to overall immigration eligibility? How significant is the point difference from, lets say, Harvard vs Cardiff?
Original post by Clip
Hmm. It's an overrated inner London technology college that trains people to be Jawas.

And there's no girls.

What makes you say it's overrated...?
Reply 16
What makes you say it's overrated...?

Actually, I take that back. It's not overrated. I'll edit.
Original post by LutherVan
Using which league table(s)? And how significant are the points to overall immigration eligibility? How significant is the point difference from, lets say, Harvard vs Cardiff?

Based on the league table which the BBC posted. I'm not sure how much more points it was just something I read. I just think that's wrong though. Surely a first degree should be just as well recognised in a university lower down the ranks. I just think there is too much focus the league ranking tables and it will just encourage university's to focus on this too much. The source even said rules have been bended by some universities trying to achieve a higher rank as there is just so much focus on the rank of the university now.
Original post by Clip
Actually, I take that back. It's not overrated. I'll edit.

I'm trying to understand what you're getting at about ICL - I don't understand the metaphor. :confused: Why do you think this? :s-smilie:
Reply 19
x

but who was Oxford?

Quick Reply

Latest