The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Simple solution ... just dont get ill. Stop your complaining. You might get ill enough to go to the Dr like once across the whole year unless you are chronically ill. There's nothing mroe annoying than ppl who run to the Drs for a cold or because they feel slightly ill.

Oh and btw I am diabetic and I get free perscriptions on absolutely everything even if its completely unrelated to my diabetes for life. If we get it, everyone with anything worse must. Also my dad has ME and he gets it also.
Reply 21
-Emmz-
As far as I was aware that's just how the Welsh Assembly are choosing to spend their allocated money in that area?

To be fair, the majority of people that need prescriptions regularly don't pay for them anyway. A major exception to this is asthmatics ... I think they get a bit of a raw deal ... I think that if someone has asthma that needs steroid inhalers (plus the other medication that follows them) then they should be able to get medical exemption certificates.

If you get regular prescriptions you can buy a pre-paid year, quarter or month which is a fixed rate so can work out a LOT cheaper for some people (about £100 a year I seem to remember).
Reply 22
I filled one out when I started uni... I couldn't get exemption though cos my student loan was classed as income which is about £9000...and I think the threshold is like £8000 to be able to get exemption.

If I got ill, I'd just go to the chemist and get something by asking the pharmacist for advice, unless it was something exceptional...then I'd go to the doctors.

I've now been diagnosed with having an underactive thyroid, so will be getting all my prescriptions for free for the rest of my life after getting a medical exemption certificate. Does that cover anything other than prescriptions does anyone know? (i.e. dental/optical)
Robot Chicken
I can tell you categorically you are wrong here. THere are many different types of chronic disease sufferers who get very little in way of help, and those that do often have to fill out dozens of forms.

I wasn't denying that some groups of people with chronic diseases don't get free prescriptions, like I illustrated with my asthma example.

However if you take the population as a whole, a lot people receiving prescription items regularly will be over 60, diabetic, epileptic etc. I work in a pharmacy and one of the things I quite often have to do is count the number of prescriptions and items we've dispensed that day ... it's the normal for there to be about 15 paid items (a lot of which are antibiotics) and around 400-500 exempt items. I understand that I don't work in a particularly affluent area but still a large majority of those exempt items are exempt because the patient is over 60 or medically exempt.
blissy
If you get regular prescriptions you can buy a pre-paid year, quarter or month which is a fixed rate so can work out a LOT cheaper for some people (about £100 a year I seem to remember).

Yeah, they're pretty good, I always try and tell people where I work about them when they come in with prescriptions they've gotta pay for. I think it's either 4 months or a year you can get and you'll save money if you need to have 5 or more items in 4 months or 14 or more items over 12 months ... I think ... something like that anyways ^_^
Reply 25
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Simple solution ... just dont get ill. Stop your complaining. You might get ill enough to go to the Dr like once across the whole year unless you are chronically ill. There's nothing mroe annoying than ppl who run to the Drs for a cold or because they feel slightly ill.
QUOTE]

dont get ill....how can you just not get ill?!! what a stupid thing to say! some people have weak immune systems and get ill really easily because of other conditions they have.
Reply 26
[QUOTE="luceluce"]
Lewis-HuStuJCR
QUOTE]

dont get ill....how can you just not get ill?!! what a stupid thing to say! some people have weak immune systems and get ill really easily because of other conditions they have.

In that case they'll get an exemption form, simple. Alot of 'illnesses' are simply menial, and can be treated with a consultation with a pharmacist, and a couple of quids worth of over the counter stuff.

I suffer from chronic ear infections and perforated ear drums, 7 or 8 incidents a year, I'm not sure whether I'll be able to get medical exemtion because of this after I turn 19. If not, I'll just stock up on antibiotics when I go over to spain :biggrin:
Lol good call with the spain thing... I didnt mean dont get ill really it was an overstatement, but I have friends who run to the Drs when they are slightly under the weather and wonder why waiting lists are so long.

In terms of it covering optical/dental perscriptions Im not sure at all... check. I have to pay for my contact lenses despite having one but they're an extra expense, standard glasses lenses might be free. But thats because diabetes can effect eyes and I need more regular checks. In terms of dental I highly doubt it.
Reply 28
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Lol good call with the spain thing... I didnt mean dont get ill really it was an overstatement, but I have friends who run to the Drs when they are slightly under the weather and wonder why waiting lists are so long.

In terms of it covering optical/dental perscriptions Im not sure at all... check. I have to pay for my contact lenses despite having one but they're an extra expense, standard glasses lenses might be free. But thats because diabetes can effect eyes and I need more regular checks. In terms of dental I highly doubt it.

I know people who do the same. I also have friends who'll force the doctor to give them antibiotics for viral infections...imbeciles.
Reply 29
It is so not hard to get a prescription medication at university. Just put a tick in the "full time educatiion" box on the back of the form and. hey presto, drugs for free are yours. In my experiences no one actually asks for proof of anything. Just some advice :wink:
hanby
It is so not hard to get a prescription medication at university. Just put a tick in the "full time educatiion" box on the back of the form and. hey presto, drugs for free are yours. In my experiences no one actually asks for proof of anything. Just some advice :wink:

It says 16, 17 or 18 and in fulltime education though so once you're 19+ that ain't gonna work.
its disgusting. I wouldn't mind if they paid for it out of their own taxes, but lets face it, the english are subsidising it.

:O!! I live in Wales, and I can tell you categorically that the "english" do not subsidise anything like that! The Welsh Assembly have a certain amount of money to spend on things like that - mostly from OUR taxes - and spend it on certain things which make life a bit easeir for people, such as cheaper prescriptions and free bus travel for OAPS. Just because the "english" government isn't quite as on the ball as the Welsh Assembly in certain things doesn't mean that you are automatically subsidising things that are better here.
Incidentally, if you go to uni in Wales, you don't have to pay top-up fees - I spose its the "english" who are paying for that, too, is it, rather than the Welsh Assembly having enough money to be able to make it easier for students?
Reply 32
Little Girl Red
:O!! I live in Wales, and I can tell you categorically that the "english" do not subsidise anything like that!

Surely the English do subsidise prescription charges, how else can people get away with paying £6.65 for a prescription and still come away with £200+ worth of drugs?

Sorry reread the thread and realised Id got the wrong end of the stick..sorry...ignore my statement!
Little Girl Red
:O!! I live in Wales, and I can tell you categorically that the "english" do not subsidise anything like that! The Welsh Assembly have a certain amount of money to spend on things like that - mostly from OUR taxes - and spend it on certain things which make life a bit easeir for people, such as cheaper prescriptions and free bus travel for OAPS. Just because the "english" government isn't quite as on the ball as the Welsh Assembly in certain things doesn't mean that you are automatically subsidising things that are better here.
Incidentally, if you go to uni in Wales, you don't have to pay top-up fees - I spose its the "english" who are paying for that, too, is it, rather than the Welsh Assembly having enough money to be able to make it easier for students?

Yes, it is the english paying for it.
Why not check out some actual figures for yourself. money going into wales from the british tax purse, and money coming into the british tax purse from wales.
its not a seperate system whereby welsh money goes to wales, scottish to scotland and english to england. england subsidises wales and scotland to the tune of billions. i don't mind that - they are generally poorer areas. but i think with this whole devolution thing it has become somewhat cheeky, and really unfair as a whole when you look at healthcare.
then again, when you look at scotland you realise it ain't all its cracked upto be. many things there have had charges removed and are now free (such as elederly care) but you'll be hard pushed to actually access the service.
but anyway, i digress
Reply 34
Robot Chicken
I can tell you categorically you are wrong here. THere are many different types of chronic disease sufferers who get very little in way of help, and those that do often have to fill out dozens of forms.

Having worked in a chemist for far too long now, it's true that the vast majority of prescriptions are issued free of charge (in excess of 90% in the places I've worked). Even for those conditions that have no exemption (and I agree that the rules are archaic and arbitary here), you can get a prepayment certificate for less than £100 a year (which covers you for any number of prescription charges), so there's very little reason for it to be a financial problem.
DaintyDuck!
Forgive me if I am being totally ludicrous here, but I went to the pharmacists the other day, with a prescription, ticked a box on the back to say I was or would be in full time education, handed it over, got my pills and walked out without paying a dime? I hope I am not fiddling or something, I just presumed this was the case? Or is it very different at university?

Once you're 19 you won't be able to tick that box.

Latest

Trending

Trending