The Student Room Group

Does anyone have double vision?

I'd had intermittent strabismus since I was a kid, and corrected it via surgery when I was 18. However, a few years after surgery one of my eyes is slowly drifting again and I have double vision when I look to the left side; also when I put my hand in front of me and focus my eyes on my hand, the background becomes a blur and sometimes double. I've been to a gp, but they said it's not serious enough for them to consider treatment. I just feel really frustrated about it. Does anyone have similar experiences? Can you mitigate double vision or does it stay forever and only get worse? :frown:
Not sure if it's the same thing, but I have problems keeping my eyes looking in one direction when I'm tired (my left eye will often just move away to the left instead of looking straight). Probably best to speak to your optician to see what they think and whether they can help with this.
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
Not sure if it's the same thing, but I have problems keeping my eyes looking in one direction when I'm tired (my left eye will often just move away to the left instead of looking straight). Probably best to speak to your optician to see what they think and whether they can help with this.

I used to have this problem too, now my eyes look straight after surgery, but I have a slight double vision in some cases. My right eye also slightly drifts out when I cover the other eye, but not when both eyes can see. Yeah, I've spoken to my gp, she says it's fine and doesn't need correction; but this double vision just bothers me a lot... I wonder if they can give me some special lenses :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I used to have this problem too, now my eyes look straight after surgery, but I have a slight double vision in some cases. My right eye also slightly drifts out when I cover the other eye, but not when both eyes can see. Yeah, I've spoken to my gp, she says it's fine and doesn't need correction; but this double vision just bothers me a lot... I wonder if they can give me some special lenses :frown:

**right eye slightly drifts out when I cover it and uncover quickly, not when I cover the other eye.
I wonder if they can give me some special lenses :frown:

Quite possibly, hence it is probably worth speaking to your optician.
Reply 5
Go to the optician and try prism lenses. If the don't help, check for another surgery.
Reply 6
Original post by Kathy89
Go to the optician and try prism lenses. If the don't help, check for another surgery.

I did go to my opticians twice, but they just told me to do eye exercises... which, I'm not even sure how to
Reply 7
I did go to my opticians twice, but they just told me to do eye exercises... which, I'm not even sure how to

Feel Free to talk to me on PM, maybe I can help.
I'd had intermittent strabismus since I was a kid, and corrected it via surgery when I was 18. However, a few years after surgery one of my eyes is slowly drifting again and I have double vision when I look to the left side; also when I put my hand in front of me and focus my eyes on my hand, the background becomes a blur and sometimes double. I've been to a gp, but they said it's not serious enough for them to consider treatment. I just feel really frustrated about it. Does anyone have similar experiences? Can you mitigate double vision or does it stay forever and only get worse? :frown:

I have this except I have it also when I look straight ahead and when looking down. I have one short sighted eye and one long sighted eye. My long sighted eye is a lazy eye and drifts outwards meaning I get double vision. It's been getting worse over time tbh I don't know what to do.
Original post by Kathy89

I was told prism lenses would worsen my eyes so I was not allowed to wear them.
Reply 10
I was told prism lenses would worsen my eyes so I was not allowed to wear them.

Did an optometrist told you that?
Well, in USSR they said astigmatism is a disease and using cylinder lenses will worsen your vision as you get used to them pretty quickly and it gets much harder dealing without them. In reality you do get used to them quickly when they are fitted well and it is much harder to deal without them because when you use the right correction you don't strain your eyes and become aware or even sensitive to strain. With the equipment they had back then it was difficult to fit it correctly so they avoided it as much as possible.
Same with prisms, if fitted correctly and worn as needed they do no harm. They just hard to fit and looks bad in glasses (and can't be fitted in contact lenses) but they do miracles sometimes. I've had a patient who couldn't read without getting headaches and only prisms could help his eyes converge without strain, once he was fitted the right amount he was able to read for hours. If prisms help they are much better than strain. It can get worse over time, just like any other thing with eyesight, and it does look much less aesthetic in glasses but they are a great tool.
Reply 11
I have this except I have it also when I look straight ahead and when looking down. I have one short sighted eye and one long sighted eye. My long sighted eye is a lazy eye and drifts outwards meaning I get double vision. It's been getting worse over time tbh I don't know what to do.

What have you tried?
I'm an optometrist and can give some advice or at least some directions to speak to your optometrist about.
Feel free to PM me.
I am not sure about it
Original post by Kathy89
Did an optometrist told you that?
Well, in USSR they said astigmatism is a disease and using cylinder lenses will worsen your vision as you get used to them pretty quickly and it gets much harder dealing without them. In reality you do get used to them quickly when they are fitted well and it is much harder to deal without them because when you use the right correction you don't strain your eyes and become aware or even sensitive to strain. With the equipment they had back then it was difficult to fit it correctly so they avoided it as much as possible.
Same with prisms, if fitted correctly and worn as needed they do no harm. They just hard to fit and looks bad in glasses (and can't be fitted in contact lenses) but they do miracles sometimes. I've had a patient who couldn't read without getting headaches and only prisms could help his eyes converge without strain, once he was fitted the right amount he was able to read for hours. If prisms help they are much better than strain. It can get worse over time, just like any other thing with eyesight, and it does look much less aesthetic in glasses but they are a great tool.

An optometrist prescribed me prisms at half prescription so I could adjust. I then was referred to hospital. Ophthalmologist told me not to wear prisms because my eyes would become dependent and my left eye would just always stay looking outwards and not bother to focus. Because it's intermittent. I was told to wear contact lenses in the short sighted eye as I have one short sighted eye and one long sighted eye but then I struggled to put them in so I never wore them. My eyes have 4.5 diopter difference between them. So I just continue with standard glasses now.
Reply 14
An optometrist prescribed me prisms at half prescription so I could adjust. I then was referred to hospital. Ophthalmologist told me not to wear prisms because my eyes would become dependent and my left eye would just always stay looking outwards and not bother to focus. Because it's intermittent. I was told to wear contact lenses in the short sighted eye as I have one short sighted eye and one long sighted eye but then I struggled to put them in so I never wore them. My eyes have 4.5 diopter difference between them. So I just continue with standard glasses now.

4.5D difference is a lot, your binocular vision would suffer if left untreated.
Have the ophthalmologist give you eye exercises?
Contacts are a good solution for such a big difference between the eyes, they give more natural way of looking compared to glasses and could be beneficial. Go to a proper fitting exam and lesson (for contacts). If no prism help you enough, contacts are a good solution. If prisms solve the strain and double vision while contacts don't and you wear glasses all the time anyways, I don't see anything wrong with wearing prisms even with your doctor's approach, you are dependent on glasses anyways....
Original post by Kathy89
4.5D difference is a lot, your binocular vision would suffer if left untreated.
Have the ophthalmologist give you eye exercises?
Contacts are a good solution for such a big difference between the eyes, they give more natural way of looking compared to glasses and could be beneficial. Go to a proper fitting exam and lesson (for contacts). If no prism help you enough, contacts are a good solution. If prisms solve the strain and double vision while contacts don't and you wear glasses all the time anyways, I don't see anything wrong with wearing prisms even with your doctor's approach, you are dependent on glasses anyways....

I have been discharged from hospital so don't see an opthalmologist. And I see different optometrist each year I go. I recently saw optometrist and got new standard prescription glasses without prisms. I almost can't be bothered because I don't feel like I was listened to. It felt like the opthalmologist didn't care. I didn't get given a single eye exercise. I was going to try to do eye exercises at home. I can find some online. I was told prism lenses would be quite thick and I would keep needing thicker. When I see double of my phone the images aren't even overlapping they're apart. I feel like when I see double everything is more further apart then they used to be so I think it's getting worse. I think I'm just going to wait another year before going to another optometrist and seeing what they say. I'm just a bit worried because I'm entering second year of uni. And there's alot of close up work. I feel like I'm overthinking it. Because normally I don't even think about my eyes but past few weeks since going optician I've been overthinking whole thing.
Reply 16
I have been discharged from hospital so don't see an opthalmologist. And I see different optometrist each year I go. I recently saw optometrist and got new standard prescription glasses without prisms. I almost can't be bothered because I don't feel like I was listened to. It felt like the opthalmologist didn't care. I didn't get given a single eye exercise. I was going to try to do eye exercises at home. I can find some online. I was told prism lenses would be quite thick and I would keep needing thicker. When I see double of my phone the images aren't even overlapping they're apart. I feel like when I see double everything is more further apart then they used to be so I think it's getting worse. I think I'm just going to wait another year before going to another optometrist and seeing what they say. I'm just a bit worried because I'm entering second year of uni. And there's alot of close up work. I feel like I'm overthinking it. Because normally I don't even think about my eyes but past few weeks since going optician I've been overthinking whole thing.

Eye exercises should be fitted by a professional, optometrist or orthoptician or ophthalmologist.
Prism lenses are indeed thicker.
Why waiting, you can book an eye exam. A good optometrist should listen and explain things.
I had an eye exam recently and got glasses. It's ok for now.
But thanks for replying. It's just I'm going to see how it goes when I start uni and am doing close up work. And then maybe go in the next year. Because whenever I go optician I play down my problems as though it's not much double vision. Also I'm out of money because I already went this year. My double vision is still less with glasses than without because both my eyes can see equally. But I don't know.

Original post by Kathy89
Eye exercises should be fitted by a professional, optometrist or orthoptician or ophthalmologist.
Prism lenses are indeed thicker.
Why waiting, you can book an eye exam. A good optometrist should listen and explain things.

Quick Reply

Latest