The Student Room Group

medicine applicant

I'm a concerned mother of an applicant and I would like advice as to whether she is making realistic choices for her medical schools. She has 9A* 1 A at GCSE nd 3 A's at AS doing a preU for her 4th. she got 735 for her UKCAT. she's predicted 2 A* out of 4 Alevels. she is applying to Edinburgh, Bristol Sheffield and King's College. are they good choices for her ?
Reply 1
Original post by apple59
I'm a concerned mother of an applicant and I would like advice as to whether she is making realistic choices for her medical schools. She has 9A* 1 A at GCSE nd 3 A's at AS doing a preU for her 4th. she got 735 for her UKCAT. she's predicted 2 A* out of 4 Alevels. she is applying to Edinburgh, Bristol Sheffield and King's College. are they good choices for her ?

Yes.

If she meets the requirements for each of them she will be fine. Providing she has a good PS.
Reply 2
Original post by apple59

They're perfectly good choices though more could be made out of the application eg that ukcat opens Southampton up as an pretty much dead cert for an interview, same with QUB and SGUL! Sheffield and bristol are quite personal statement heavy which is always a risky area as it's impossible to know how good it is in the eyes of a specific uni!
Aberdeen and Glasgow would also be sensible.choices.
Kings and/or Edinburgh seem very acceptable choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Yes-she's made good choices to suit her stats! Best of luck!
Thanks a lot for sharing such an useful an informative post.
Reply 5
I think they are good choices if she has a really excellent PS and interviews well. Be aware that Edinburgh is crazy competitive academically, is very demanding about EC's and W/E and should be considered a long shot for all but a few applicants. Bristol is 20% academic and 80% PS, so can be risky with a mediocre PS. I'm not familiar with Sheffield. Maybe consider Birmingham as they have a high interview to offer ratio, and interview most applicants that are strong academcially? It''s a good safety option.
Reply 6
Original post by HCubed
I think they are good choices if she has a really excellent PS and interviews well. Be aware that Edinburgh is crazy competitive academically, is very demanding about EC's and W/E and should be considered a long shot for all but a few applicants. Bristol is 20% academic and 80% PS, so can be risky with a mediocre PS. I'm not familiar with Sheffield. Maybe consider Birmingham as they have a high interview to offer ratio, and interview most applicants that are strong academcially? It''s a good safety option.

thank you for your advice.what are ECs and W/E?
Reply 7
Original post by apple59
thank you for your advice.what are ECs and W/E?

extra-curricular activities and work experience
Reply 8
Did your careers adviser at school suggest that apple59's daughter was applying to Medicine because she was after money and status? How inappropriate of him/her.

Incidentally, you should not be relying on anything your careers adviser says. The information in TSR's Wiki (and on medical schools' websites) is likely to be far more reliable and based on reality.
Original post by apple59

Being totally serious and genuine here, that UKCAT of your daughters may not be high enough to secure an interview at KCL, she might want to reconsider that choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Med_medine
Being totally serious and genuine here, that UKCAT of your daughters may not be high enough to secure an interview at KCL, she might want to reconsider that choice

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would have thought it was fairly safe for a school-leaver this year, actually. If she were applying with 735 last year, then sure, it would be on the cusp of not being enough. But it should be a guaranteed interview this year, from what I've seen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending