The Student Room Group

What should I be predicted? Have I got a right to be annoyed?

(edited 9 years ago)
I'd probably be annoyed too if I got 95% and wasn't predicted an A*. You could try and change your teacher's mind, but ultimately there's not really much you can do.
Reply 2
I'd try and push for the A* in RS if it's needed. I think you have a case there, and if your teacher has previously agreed.

I wouldn't be so fussed about the Politics - they will start talking about how A2 is harder yadda yadda, and as you've not met the 90% at AS and so on...

If you don't need the A* prediction then maybe just stop bothering. It won't make a difference if you've "only" predicted an A if the maximum you're applying to is an AAA university. If you are applying somewhere that needs A*AA speak to your teacher again, or speak to your tutor to try and get that changed. Tell them your intentions (i.e. I want to apply to X who have a typical offer of A*AA).

They may not be particularly confident in predicting A*
Original post by Jacketh
Hey all,

I got 95% UMS in my RS. 100% UMS in one exam and 90% in the other. Had a meeting with my teacher and he said he'll be writing an A* down as my predicted grade. I hand him the sheet today and he writes an A. I couldn't had done much better in the bloody exam. I'm wondering why he has gone back on it.

I'm not the most enthuastic in class, but meh.

I also got around 87% UMS in my Politics, scoring a really high A in one exam and a lower A in the other in my other. have I got a case for the A* to be predicted?

Just a bit annoyed as I know people with Bs will be predicted As and I'm not really getting recognition for doing well in my AS.

I have poor GCSEs grades so I was hoping being predicted at least 1A* for A2 would had made up for that somewhat. Just a bit annoyed.

We can't help you. You need to have this conversation with your teacher. It may be that your school/this department has a policy of not predicting A*. Some do. You can ask for your scores to be put in the reference.
Reply 4
They don't have that policy. I'd understand it if they were firm on that and had a policy installed. But to tell me they were going to do so then go back on it a few days later has annoyed me. As I said, I have poor GCSEs and I'm applying to Durham, who do take GCSEs into account. I just wanted my application to be that bit stronger.
Original post by Jacketh
Hey all,

I got 95% UMS in my RS. 100% UMS in one exam and 90% in the other. Had a meeting with my teacher and he said he'll be writing an A* down as my predicted grade. I hand him the sheet today and he writes an A.

What did he say when you said "I thought you were predicting me an A*"?
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem
What did he say when you said "I thought you were predicting me an A*"?

If you mean when I handed him the sheet, I didn't say that then because I assumed he was going to write an A*, I left the room and went to take the sheet to the my referee. Only when I looked at it after leaving the room did I notice. I will bring it up with him tomorrow though.

Obviously no shame in being predicted 'Just an A', I just think I have a case for the A* and the fact I'm applying to a competitive course and my GCSEs will be below the average, I was just hoping to be predicted the A* so it added a little bit more weight to my application.
Original post by Jacketh
If you mean when I handed him the sheet, I didn't say that then because I assumed he was going to write an A*, I left the room and went to take the sheet to the my referee. Only when I looked at it after leaving the room did I notice. I will bring it up with him tomorrow though.

Yeah, just ask him - he may have forgotten that he was going with the A* (we do not predict them too often)

There is no "case" nor any "argument" to be made - he will predict based on his professional judgement
Reply 8
Well I've got a bee in my bonet over these 'Professional judgements' in all honesty. I was predicted 1 GCSE pass at the start of Year 10. I wasn't invited to go to a Nottingham university open day in Year 10 despite the majority of the year going. Why? Because they didn't think I'd have it in me to go to university one day. I was then predicted Four Cs at AS at the start of Year 12, despite passing all my GCSEs to a good standard considering I was predicted one pass at the start of Year 10.

But yeah, 'professional' judgements. I'm sick of these 'professionals' constantly underestimating me throughout education. Where is the belief?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jacketh
Hey all,

I got 95% UMS in my RS. 100% UMS in one exam and 90% in the other. Had a meeting with my teacher and he said he'll be writing an A* down as my predicted grade. I hand him the sheet today and he writes an A. I couldn't had done much better in the bloody exam. I'm wondering why he has gone back on it.

I'm not the most enthuastic in class, but meh.

I also got around 87% UMS in my Politics, scoring a really high A in one exam and a lower A in the other in my other. have I got a case for the A* to be predicted?

Just a bit annoyed as I know people with Bs will be predicted As and I'm not really getting recognition for doing well in my AS.

I have poor GCSEs grades so I was hoping being predicted at least 1A* for A2 would had made up for that somewhat. Just a bit annoyed.

May I ask which subjects you are doing at A-Level, aside from RS and Politics? What are you thinking of applying for at uni? :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by colourtheory
May I ask which subjects you are doing at A-Level, aside from RS and Politics? What are you thinking of applying for at uni? :smile:

I'm doing English Lit with those two. I'm not very varied, I like my essays. :biggrin: I took History at AS as well. I'm going to apply for Nottingham, York, Bristol, Durham and Warwick I think.
Original post by Jacketh
I'm doing English Lit with those two. I'm not very varied, I like my essays. :biggrin: I took History at AS as well. I'm going to apply for Nottingham, York, Bristol, Durham and Warwick I think.

Nice selection :smile: I'm not hugely varied either! I just finished my A2s in English Lit, History and Art History :biggrin: Plus Chemistry AS but I don't like to talk about that... :colondollar: I wish in hindsight that I had applied for Durham or York, both have an amazing selection of courses :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending