The Student Room Group

It's OK to call things "gay"

http://bristol.tab.co.uk/2013/11/22/its-ok-to-call-things-gay-stop-worrying-about-it-offending-people/

Do you agree or disagree? Why?

Just today I've seen someone call another person a "faggot" for leaving his mobile phone somewhere and, thus, the word was casually used as a synonym for stupid or at any rate bad.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Disagree... I'm not gay but I just think it's so unnecessary and outdated. It winds me up when people say it. Like, there are hundreds of other adjectives that you could use to negatively describe something so why pick one which a) doesn't make sense and b) could be misinterpreted as offensive.
Reply 2
It is wrong yes, but for a lot of people (myself included) it's just a bad habit :frown:
Disagree. I find it rude. Using it in a negative context is hardly ok.
Reply 4
Really couldn't care less if someone calls something gay, sometimes I make a fuss because it's my prerogative but it doesn't offend me.
Reply 5
We had a lecture on LGBT communities in assembly last year (sixth form) the lady who came in who runs like a youth group for the LGBT said that they had aquired around 200 words all meaning something offensive towards the LGBT communties yet there are pretty much no words which are offensive towards straight people.

So in all yes it is wrong and offensive and any word used to mean bad when it has another meaning (not just with sexuality) is wrong and shouldn't be used.
Reply 6
Original post by BBeyond
It is wrong yes, but for a lot of people (myself included) it's just a bad habit :frown:

Deeming it as a "bad habit" sort of plays down its seriousness, I think. I don't think homophobia, or even an unintentional promotion of it, can be played down as a habit - it must be treated more seriously and with more judgement than that.

Can you imagine if it were common for gay people to use the word "straight" in the same way as you, admittedly, use the word "gay"? It just doesn't happen.

A habit, by definition, often happens out of people's control - you can control this kind of offensive promotion of homophobia and I suggest you do.
Well let's not forget the traditional meaning of gay..

But no, I think associating 'gay' with negative things is wrong but I don't think that most people say it to offend gay people. It's just one of those things really
Reply 8
Original post by DylanJ96
Deeming it as a "bad habit" sort of plays down its seriousness, I think. I don't think homophobia, or even an unintentional promotion of it, can be played down as a habit - it must be treated more seriously and with more judgement than that.

Can you imagine if it were common for gay people to use the word "straight" in the same way as you, admittedly, use the word "gay"? It just doesn't happen.

A habit, by definition, often happens out of people's control - you can control this kind of offensive promotion of homophobia and I suggest you do.

I do control it the majority of the time, but every now and again it just comes out. Again, not something I'm proud of and it is something I hope to improve about myself in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Flauta
Really couldn't care less if someone calls something gay, sometimes I make a fuss because it's my prerogative but it doesn't offend me.

Sorry but I just think that's a bad attitude. I'm not saying you need to be out there protesting against the negative use of "gay" but, I do think, you should care and be ready to tell someone they're wrong by using it if you're against homophobia.
Lol. I call a lot of things gay. For example "that's gay" etc.
I know it's not a good thing to say but like the person above has said, it's sort of a habit and you say it without noticing. I have nothing against gays by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by kingdoo
there are pretty much no words which are offensive towards straight people.

"Breeders" coming from a gay man tends to cause offence.
Reply 12
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Well let's not forget the traditional meaning of gay..

But no, I think associating 'gay' with negative things is wrong but I don't think that most people say it to offend gay people. It's just one of those things really

I agree, I don't think people's intention the majority of the time is to offend gay people but I still think it's very wrong (even in the most unintentional of cases).
Reply 13
Original post by BBeyond
I do control it the majority of the time, but every now and again it just comes out. Again, not something I'm proud of and it is something I hope to improve about myself in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I respect your ability to know it's wrong and want to improve but it's really not that hard to stop calling things "gay".
Original post by DylanJ96
I respect your ability to know it's wrong and want to improve but it's really not that hard to stop calling things "gay".

You say it as if I say it out of choice... It's not at easy as you may think to correct a bad habit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mequa
"Breeders" coming from a gay man tends to cause offence.

Yeah well ok that is one and also straight people use that word themselves and to be honest it is not that bad of a word.

Anyway saying 'that is gay' is more offensive due to the fact that the gay community chose the word gay themselves back in the day when it meant 'happy'
If the word 'gay' originally meant happy and then evolved to mean homosexuals. Why is it completely out of the question for the word to evolve into something different?

Language and culture change through time. Why are you all hanging on like some conservatives who fail to move with the times. The word has been reclaimed and used for a different meaning. Deal with it.

[video="youtube;HtaPaQwSQPA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtaPaQwSQPA[/video]
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BBeyond
You say it as if I say it out of choice... It's not at easy as you may think to correct a bad habit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly..

Posted from TSR Mobile
it just sounds SO childish :') like seriously are you so dumb you can't think of a more appropriate adjective... this is something year 7's would say because they don't realise the negative connotations. people saying "it's a habit" get a grip!
Reply 19
Original post by BBeyond

Posted from TSR Mobile

The word "gay" isn't nicotine.

Quick Reply

Latest