The Student Room Group

Political Economy vs. Economics and Politics

Hi!

I'm in my final year of high school and planning on applying to uni in the UK. I've looked at many universities including KCL, Bristol, Manchester, LSE, Leeds, Sussex... the likes, and there are similar courses but the names are slightly different. Can someone please explain the difference between the following courses:

a. political economy
b. economics and politics
c. economic history

I'm more interested in learning the connections between economics and politics and the effect that each has on the other rather, than pursuing a career focused solely on any of them.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by 2015brj
Hi!

I'm in my final year of high school and planning on applying to uni in the UK. I've looked at many universities including KCL, Bristol, Manchester, LSE, Leeds, Sussex... the likes, and there are similar courses but the names are slightly different. Can someone please explain the difference between the following courses:

a. political economy
b. economics and politics
c. economic history

I'm more interested in learning the connections between economics and politics and the effect that each has on the other rather, than pursuing a career focused solely on any of them.

Thank you :smile:

Not 100% sure on this, but from my understanding;

A. is a more philosophically focused on Politics and how they intercept with Economics

B. is a joint degree, meaning you'll study both Economics and Politics with both receiving equal attention. Economics in this case is the actual study of Economics, with mathematics etc.

C. is history which centralises around the economy of various periods/eras and countries.

Therefore, the first is Politics, in its philosophical and scientific approaches around the economy, the second is a joint degree which covers aspects of both subjects and the third is history with a focus on the economy. Make sure you do not mistake the term Economy with the Economics. The former relates to society and its use of money etc while the latter is the actual study -with dragrams and mathematics as I said- of how the economy works, what decisions society should make and the like.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by *Stefan*
Not 100% sure on this, but from my understanding;

A. is a more philosophically focused on Politics and how they intercept with Economics

B. is a joint degree, meaning you'll study both Economics and Politics with both receiving equal attention. Economics in this case is the actual study of Economics, with mathematics etc.

C. is history which centralises around the economy of various periods/eras and countries.

Therefore, the first is Politics, in its philosophical and scientific approaches around the economy, the second is a joint degree which covers aspects of both subjects and the third is history with a focus on the economy. Make sure you do not mistake the term Economy with the Economics. The former relates to society and its use of money etc while the latter is the actual study -with dragrams and mathematics as I said- of how the economy works, what decisions society should make and the like.

Thank you so much!
Reply 3
Original post by 2015brj
Thank you so much!

You're welcome :smile:

Make sure though that you read the prospectus/details on each university's website. Each uni may follow a unique approach which would make the course completely different!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending