The Student Room Group

a level history

how do you write a criteria to measure significance for an essay? my teacher tells us to always measure the factors using criteria but I dont know how to know what to measure them on?
Original post by harrietttttttt
how do you write a criteria to measure significance for an essay? my teacher tells us to always measure the factors using criteria but I dont know how to know what to measure them on?

Ah literally SAME! My teacher always said that, and it's a tricky one, but I think it's a good habit to get into. What I understood was that you need to "set out your stall" in the introduction.
So if you are looking at significance, and you know facts about economy, politics and rural areas, then say something like "If we are to consider the significance of xxx then it is important to consider its impact on the economy and its ability to further political control. Furthermore , the significance must be far-reaching." (This last one sets you up to talk about rural/urban areas) - It's all about signposting and looking organised from the get-go... hope this is helpful :smile:
Original post by purplepengu1n
Ah literally SAME! My teacher always said that, and it's a tricky one, but I think it's a good habit to get into. What I understood was that you need to "set out your stall" in the introduction.
So if you are looking at significance, and you know facts about economy, politics and rural areas, then say something like "If we are to consider the significance of xxx then it is important to consider its impact on the economy and its ability to further political control. Furthermore , the significance must be far-reaching." (This last one sets you up to talk about rural/urban areas) - It's all about signposting and looking organised from the get-go... hope this is helpful :smile:

You could also think about long-term/short-term significance, or significance for the government vs for particular groups of people. If you really wanted to be technical, I suppose you could use stats to measure something, like the significance of an economic policy could be measured by the change in grain output per year, or the life expectancy/death rates.
Original post by harrietttttttt

Hi, I'm a history teacher. Maybe I can help.

Your teacher is right. You should try to establish some criteria . Without knowing what the subject is, it's difficult to comment but definitely set out how you are going to evaluate something in the opening paragraph.

Secondly add nuance. Nuance is extra detail and/or analysis that helps you to avoid generalisations. So when it comes to significance consider short term vs long term - something could have little impact to start and then gradually become increasingly impactful. Also consider tangible vs intangible significance. So tangible refers to things you can measure..........unemployment came down, votes for a party went up, life expectancy increased...........anything you can measure. Intangible is more about what people think. Did the bombing of Dresden have a tangible impact on Germany........not particularly. Did it have an intangible impact.....yes, as it lowered morale.

Tell me what the area is and I might be able to help more.
Original post by history tutor
Hi, I'm a history teacher. Maybe I can help.

Your teacher is right. You should try to establish some criteria . Without knowing what the subject is, it's difficult to comment but definitely set out how you are going to evaluate something in the opening paragraph.

Secondly add nuance. Nuance is extra detail and/or analysis that helps you to avoid generalisations. So when it comes to significance consider short term vs long term - something could have little impact to start and then gradually become increasingly impactful. Also consider tangible vs intangible significance. So tangible refers to things you can measure..........unemployment came down, votes for a party went up, life expectancy increased...........anything you can measure. Intangible is more about what people think. Did the bombing of Dresden have a tangible impact on Germany........not particularly. Did it have an intangible impact.....yes, as it lowered morale.

Tell me what the area is and I might be able to help more.

Thank you this is really useful. I am studying South Africa 1948-94 and USA 1917-96 at the moment. Would you suggest using a criteria for source questions as well as longer essays? Thanks
not source questions but definitely essays.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending