The Student Room Group

Need some Phobia Advice (Cynophobia)

Cynophobia = Fear of Dogs for those who didn't know

I've been scared of dogs (more specifically big dogs, like German shepherds, Alsations etc.) for a large part of my life (i'm 21 now) and even though I had a dog as a kid i don't recall having any bad experiences with him, although I don't want to own a dog in life (much prefer cats) I would like over overcome this fear I have

I'm not as scared as i used to be, when I was in my mid to late teens I couldn't even be in the same room as a dog as it caused me to freak out (now providing that dog isn't a big one and is quite docile i'm generally fine), What still causes me to get uncomfortable and scared is when a dog barks, jumps up at me and begins licking me - all these cause me to get very anxious and is a few cases almost led me to having a nervous breakdown due my anxiety I know that if I'm scared the dog itself will also be scared, I'm also terrified of meeting a bad owner who can't control his/her dog

Not sure how I can tackle this
Unfortunately, the only way you get over an animal phobia is by spending time with them. (I should know, I worked at a zoo with all sorts of animals I wasn't initially keen on!)

I suggest you get a puppy or spend some time with a friend/family member who has a puppy. Walk it regularly and 'watch it grow up' into a big dog. You'll see it like a friend and it won't bother you at all then.

Realistically, the worst a normal dog could ever do to you is push you over or grab your hand. Dogs can be dangerous but all you have to do is flick its nose, ear or nose and it will back off.
Reply 2
Original post by Iggy Azalea
Unfortunately, the only way you get over an animal phobia is by spending time with them. (I should know, I worked at a zoo with all sorts of animals I wasn't initially keen on!)

I suggest you get a puppy or spend some time with a friend/family member who has a puppy. Walk it regularly and 'watch it grow up' into a big dog. You'll see it like a friend and it won't bother you at all then.

Realistically, the worst a normal dog could ever do to you is push you over or grab your hand. Dogs can be dangerous but all you have to do is flick its nose, ear or nose and it will back off.

I'd rather not get a dog (not because i'm scared of em but just cos i don't let em as pets)
Original post by Tomsta
I'd rather not get a dog (not because i'm scared of em but just cos i don't let em as pets)

Are there any animal shelters with dogs you could volunteer at, if nobody you know has a dog that you can spend time with?
Reply 4
Original post by catrinana
Are there any animal shelters with dogs you could volunteer at, if nobody you know has a dog that you can spend time with?

I did enquire about volunteering at a cat shelter (which also houses dogs) but they are kept in separate buildings as far as i'm aware

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending