The Student Room Group

New zealand accent

Recently, I met a guy from New Zealand. I found his accent quite weird. The stress on 'E' while speaking irks my ears. Anyway, what you guys think about other differences in their Speech.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sollom
Recently, I met a guy from New Zealand. I found his accent quite weird. The stress on 'E' while speaking irks my ears. Anyway, what you guys think about other differences in their Speech.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im from the UK originally but live in new zealand Different areas often have slightly different accent. Auckland is very international and there are alot of asians, palmerston north have a very high pitched accents almost like aussie and invigarcill sound scottish. There is also a maori (native NZ people) sort of accent. The main quirk is that generally new zealanders voices go up at the end of a sentence. like in a question. they also say na instead of no and instead of your welcome they say 'all good' sometimes with bro on the end
Reply 2
Original post by dooglebirden
Im from the UK originally but live in new zealand Different areas often have slightly different accent. Auckland is very international and there are alot of asians, palmerston north have a very high pitched accents almost like aussie and invigarcill sound scottish. There is also a maori (native NZ people) sort of accent. The main quirk is that generally new zealanders voices go up at the end of a sentence. like in a question. they also say na instead of no and instead of your welcome they say 'all good' sometimes with bro on the end

That's exactly what I heard him speaking "all good" , "na" etc. You know what my family is planning to emigrate to New Zealand for setting up a business in Wellington however I am too nervous to start a new life over there. Do you have any tips about how an English can adapt to Kiwi atmosphere?

Many thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sollom
That's exactly what I heard him speaking "all good" , "na" etc. You know what my family is planning to emigrate to New Zealand for setting up a business in Wellington however I am too nervous to start a new life over there. Do you have any tips about how an English can adapt to Kiwi atmosphere?

Many thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its pretty easy to assimilate into NZ culture. The main difference is that every thing is so much more chilled and relaxed. Like i didnt even wear shoes till high school. And everything is in the metric system where as UK is half imperial and half metric. Just be prepared to take the piss out of yourself and others!! its part of the kiwi humor. oh and sunblock/suncream whatever. there is no ozone layer over NZ and u will burn especially for pasty brits.
Reply 4
Its pretty easy to assimilate into NZ culture. The main difference is that every thing is so much more chilled and relaxed. Like i didnt even wear shoes till high school. And everything is in the metric system where as UK is half imperial and half metric. Just be prepared to take the piss out of yourself and others!! its part of the kiwi humor. oh and sunblock/suncream whatever. there is no ozone layer over NZ and u will burn especially for pasty brits.

Hey there, thanks for the information. How's gay life over there? Oh ,I have just completed my A level exams here in the UK and am planning to attend a Uni or polytechnic as my family will be emigrating to Wellington.
Original post by Sollom
Hey there, thanks for the information. How's gay life over there? Oh ,I have just completed my A level exams here in the UK and am planning to attend a Uni or polytechnic as my family will be emigrating to Wellington.

Only last year NZ legalised gay marriage so on the whole everyone is pretty good with it. There are always people that are against but on the whole no one really cares about people sexuality cuz everyones so laid back. If your talking about night life gay bars etc, only the major cities , auckland wellington, christchurch have anything like that :smile:
Reply 6
Only last year NZ legalised gay marriage so on the whole everyone is pretty good with it. There are always people that are against but on the whole no one really cares about people sexuality cuz everyones so laid back. If your talking about night life gay bars etc, only the major cities , auckland wellington, christchurch have anything like that :smile:

Thanks for the information again. So out of Auckland and Wellington which city is dominated by the English , gays and work :smile:

Do you have sun throughout the year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Auckland has the most work as it is the biggest. Dunno about gays and there is english everywhere, almost everyone is somewhat english.
And no unfortunatly we do not have sun all year. It does rain quite a bit but it is always on and off showers. One minute it will be torrential then it will be blue skys. Depends where u go but it is mostly warm all year (especially compared to UK) but down south it can snow and gets a bit chilly.
Reply 8
Auckland has the most work as it is the biggest. Dunno about gays and there is english everywhere, almost everyone is somewhat english.
And no unfortunatly we do not have sun all year. It does rain quite a bit but it is always on and off showers. One minute it will be torrential then it will be blue skys. Depends where u go but it is mostly warm all year (especially compared to UK) but down south it can snow and gets a bit chilly.

Do you think Weltec is a good college. My parents are reluctant to send me to Auckland because they there is more work in Wellington ( Capital of the nation)

Is it expensive to afford a decent living?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending