The Student Room Group

Good choices? - Need help with other choices

I am looking to study economics and finance. I currently have no qualifications but am doing 2 HNC's in Business and accounting.

The business HNC will be finished in May and I am basically guaranteed an A and the Accounting is a part time and thus will not be finished by the time my application is made. Also I have started an ACCA and have completed the first 3 exams for it.

I have 3years of work experience in management.

The universities I have decided to apply for so far are:

University of Strathclyde
University of Edinburgh
Herriot-Watt University

I need help deciding if these 3 are good choices and which other 2 to choose.

Thanks for any help
Original post by Am1r1998
I am looking to study economics and finance. I currently have no qualifications but am doing 2 HNC's in Business and accounting.

The business HNC will be finished in May and I am basically guaranteed an A and the Accounting is a part time and thus will not be finished by the time my application is made. Also I have started an ACCA and have completed the first 3 exams for it.

University of Edinburgh
Herriot-Watt University

Thanks for any help

With unconventional qualifications, your best bet is calling the university directly and asking them about your specific case. Mature students are dealt with on a case by case basis. Of those you mention, Edinburgh is the most difficult to get into by far.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
With unconventional qualifications, your best bet is calling the university directly and asking them about your specific case. Mature students are dealt with on a case by case basis. Of those you mention, Edinburgh is the most difficult to get into by far.

Thanks for the quick reply, I will call them tomorrow and ask them. Also any idea on which other universities to apply to? My preferred choice would have been St Andrews or LSE but unfortunately they don't offer Economics and Finance.

Also if I get accepted by lets say Herriot-Watt and not by Edinburgh then what are the chances of after doing one year at Herriot--Watt to be transferred to Edinburgh for the second year?
Reply 3
Thanks for the quick reply, I will call them tomorrow and ask them. Also any idea on which other universities to apply to? My preferred choice would have been St Andrews or LSE but unfortunately they don't offer Economics and Finance.

Also if I get accepted by lets say Herriot-Watt and not by Edinburgh then what are the chances of after doing one year at Herriot--Watt to be transferred to Edinburgh for the second year?

Also how much does age along with lack of qualification affect an application as I am currently only 16 years old and with a lack of basic qualification I am unsure of how much that would affect my application.

These are very specific questions which only the universities themselves can answer, but as a general rule, they aren't keen on students attempting to 'trade up' to a 'better' university through the back door, for obvious reasons. You would normally have to meet the entrance requirements for the new university anyway. There is a transfer FAQ sticky at the top of this forum, but I'd advise against going to a university with the sole aim of getting out of it again. It rarely works out.

Try using www.whatuni.com to look for other universities, but you need to get a ruling on how your qualifications are going to be viewed by the universities before you can look further. I doubt you will get an easy answer by looking at tariff tables.
Also how much does age along with lack of qualification affect an application as I am currently only 16 years old and with a lack of basic qualification I am unsure of how much that would affect my application.

Hang on - you said you had 3 years of experience in management. If you are only 16, you aren't a mature student, and you would be best advised to go the standard route by doing A levels/highers if you are Scottish or Btec at a sixth form or college.
Reply 6
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Hang on - you said you had 3 years of experience in management. If you are only 16, you aren't a mature student, and you would be best advised to go the standard route by doing A levels/highers if you are Scottish or Btec at a sixth form or college.

I started working at 12 in family retail stores and slowly worked my way and at 13 started learning how to manage them and at 14 took over the management of the business.

I left school before pursuing Nationals due to family issues and to focus more on work and then just decided what I wanted to do and to start it entered into the HNC and now looking to do the Economics and Finance.

Thanks for the help
Reply 7

University of Edinburgh
Herriot-Watt University

Thanks for any help

Hello i see you got an A in HNC Business, would you be able to assists/tutor in any subjects that has been in the HNC business course? I'm starting the HNC Business course this month Jan 2015 may need help or have questions. If not can you give me tips and advice ion what to expect and how to get an A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending