The Student Room Group

Are my university choices too ambitious?

I am applying to UCL, Imperial or Durham, Oxford, Bath and Edinburgh. I know these are top universities and the reason (well there are other reasons but the main ish one) why I picked them is because where I live, they offer scholarships if you get accepted into the Top World Unis for your major.
I'm wondering, should I remove one of these options for a safer, just in case scenario or...?

For reference, my preds are A*A*A! If you need any additional info to help me, feel free to ask :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For which course?
Depends on the course. What are you planning to apply for?
Original post by hhhhu09-ioju90
I am applying to UCL, Imperial or Durham, Oxford, Bath and Edinburgh. I know these are top universities and the reason (well there are other reasons but the main ish one) why I picked them is because where I live, they offer scholarships if you get accepted into the Top World Unis for your major.
I'm wondering, should I remove one of these options for a safer, just in case scenario or...?

For reference, my preds are A*A*A! If you need any additional info to help me, feel free to ask :smile:

Apply to 4 before the early application deadline and wait and see if you get any decisions before the January one.

If you get offer(s) you can be risky with your remaining choice, if you get rejections or are still waitingfor outcomes then you may need a safe choice.
Original post by Admit-One
Apply to 4 before the early application deadline and wait and see if you get any decisions before the January one.

If you get offer(s) you can be risky with your remaining choice, if you get rejections or are still waitingfor outcomes then you may need a safe choice.

WAIT hol up... I can apply to 4 first then apply to the 5th one later? :eek: How does that work?
Original post by ajj2000
For which course?

This concerns @sleep_supremacy as well! I am doing Chemistry :biggrin:
WAIT hol up... I can apply to 4 first then apply to the 5th one later? :eek: How does that work?

You add as many of your 5 choices as you want now, submit them, then add any others later, (but before the Jan deadline).

UCAS advisors don't seem to bring it up much, but we have been banging on about it / recommending it on TSR for years :smile:

UCAS refers to it here:

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/ucas-undergraduate-when-apply

"You can add choices with a different deadline later, but don’t forget you can only have five choices in total."
You add as many of your 5 choices as you want now, submit them, then add any others later, (but before the Jan deadline).

UCAS advisors don't seem to bring it up much, but we have been banging on about it / recommending it on TSR for years :smile:

UCAS refers to it here:

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/ucas-undergraduate-when-apply

"You can add choices with a different deadline later, but don’t forget you can only have five choices in total."

So we submit them individually or? Sorry I am a bit confused. I was under the impression that you needed to put all 5 options so you can submit them in one go.
So we submit them individually or? Sorry I am a bit confused. I was under the impression that you needed to put all 5 options so you can submit them in one go.

No, you can submit anywhere between 1 and 5 in one go.

If you submit 1, then you'd need to contact UCAS to pay the 'more than one application' fee before you can add more choices.

If you submit between 2-4 then you'll have an "add another choice" button in Hub.This is there even after you 'submit' your application.

It's important to note that even when adding later choices, you are sending exactly the same application, you can't amend anything, (including your personal statement).

If you give UCAS a bell they will confirm all of this :smile:
No, you can submit anywhere between 1 and 5 in one go.

If you submit 1, then you'd need to contact UCAS to pay the 'more than one application' fee before you can add more choices.

If you submit between 2-4 then you'll have an "add another choice" button in Hub.This is there even after you 'submit' your application.

It's important to note that even when adding later choices, you are sending exactly the same application, you can't amend anything, (including your personal statement).

If you give UCAS a bell they will confirm all of this :smile:

:biggrin:Thank you so much! This really made me feel better giving me a leeway when applying.
:biggrin:Thank you so much! This really made me feel better giving me a leeway when applying.

No worries, there will always be some risk when applying to highly competitive courses, but your predictions are solid enough to give it a go.
Reply 11
This concerns @sleep_supremacy as well! I am doing Chemistry :biggrin:

Sounds great!

- Is the list of universities from which you must pick to get the scholarship from: UCL, Imperial or Durham, Oxford, Bath and Edinburgh? Any others?
- which subjects are you taking for A levels and which grade prediction in each?
- Do you meet IELTs requirements/ GCSE maths and English requirements?
- Why Imperial or Durham (as opposed to applying to both?
- Are there minimum A level requirements to get the scholarship?
- Would you attend a UK university if not for the scholarship?
Original post by ajj2000
Sounds great!

- Is the list of universities from which you must pick to get the scholarship from: UCL, Imperial or Durham, Oxford, Bath and Edinburgh? Any others?
- which subjects are you taking for A levels and which grade prediction in each?
- Do you meet IELTs requirements/ GCSE maths and English requirements?
- Why Imperial or Durham (as opposed to applying to both?
- Are there minimum A level requirements to get the scholarship?
- Would you attend a UK university if not for the scholarship?

- It has to be Top 50 for the subject I am doing.
- I take Chemistry, Biology and Math and I am predicted A*A*A respectively.
- I meet the IELTS and GCSE requirements.
- Initially, I wanted to apply for Imperial but then I went to a university fair where Durham gave me the hard sell with their university. I then heard some not good things about Imperial, but I am still conflicted.
- Nope, they just look at school grades and you have to get an offer from the University.
- It's hard to say. It would burden my family a lot as I have siblings that are also in the UK studying, plus other siblings that will be starting highschool soon. It's not that my family cannot pay, but the pressure it would put on them if they paid the full price.

Hope this helped :biggrin:
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 13
- It has to be Top 50 for the subject I am doing.
- I take Chemistry, Biology and Math and I am predicted A*A*A respectively.
- I meet the IELTS and GCSE requirements.
- Initially, I wanted to apply for Imperial but then I went to a university fair where Durham gave me the hard sell with their university. I then heard some not good things about Imperial, but I am still conflicted.
- Nope, they just look at school grades and you have to get an offer from the University.
- It's hard to say. It would burden my family a lot as I have siblings that are also in the UK studying, plus other siblings that will be starting highschool soon. It's not that my family cannot pay, but the pressure it would put on them if they paid the full price.

Hope this helped :biggrin:

cool - which are the UK universities in the top 50?
Original post by ajj2000
cool - which are the UK universities in the top 50?

For Chemistry UCL, Oxford, Imperial, Edinburgh
Reply 15
Please be aware that most UK Unis do not offer any full-cost scholarships.
At best you may receive a partial bursary to cover part of your fees.
Original post by McGinger
Please be aware that most UK Unis do not offer any full-cost scholarships.
At best you may receive a partial bursary to cover part of your fees.

The scholarship I am aiming for is not offered by UK unis.
Reply 17
For Chemistry UCL, Oxford, Imperial, Edinburgh

So just those 4? How likely is the scholarship? If its pretty automatic doesn't it make sense to apply to those four and see what happens? Then add a fifth of your choice in early Jan?

As a word of warning none of them tend to be quick at making offers which can be frustrating.
Original post by ajj2000
So just those 4? How likely is the scholarship? If its pretty automatic doesn't it make sense to apply to those four and see what happens? Then add a fifth of your choice in early Jan?

As a word of warning none of them tend to be quick at making offers which can be frustrating.

Top 50 for UK yes. As for chances, I’m not sure but its better to try. I don’t get what you mean by the automatic part. I plan to do the 4th choice then 5th anyways thanks to early decision :smile:!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 19
Top 50 for UK yes. As for chances, I’m not sure but its better to try. I don’t get what you mean by the automatic part. I plan to do the 4th choice then 5th anyways thanks to early decision :smile:!

By automatic I mean - if you get a place in one of the named universities do you get the scholarship automatically or is there second stage of selection?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending