The Student Room Group

Hating it already:(

I've literally only just started a degree in diagnostic radiography and I've not even been here a week yet and I'm hating it. We've not started having lectures yet, but I'm already miserable and depressed. I'm already considering dropping out, but at least want to give it a chance. I'm really missing home, as its 6 hours away by train. Is there any advice anyone can give please??
Reply 1
Hey eevans. Im not sure that i can advise you too much regarding your course however, as some body who has been in boarding school since year 4, I can understand the homesickness. For me the best thing i could do was find activities that i could throw my self into and find 1 or two people i can really get along with. Though i know its cliche the saying "you only get out what you put in" is true in this sense. Regarding homesickness, your friends and family will always be there and are just a phonecall away. If you really miss them train rides with a rail card on weekends cam be managed fine :biggrin:.

Try hard and stick, I'm sure you will regret it if you give up so early on. DO YOUR BEST!!!
Homesickness and general anxiety are fairly common amongst freshers. You'll get over it eventually, but in the mean time see a counsellor or talk to someone from Nightline :smile:
What's bothering you though :frown: Is it the uni, the city, or the course itself? If you haven't started lectures, I'm assuming its the city/uni?
Reply 4
Yeah, I'm not really sure... It's just all happened too soon I think. Like it was a clearing thing, and so last minute, now all or a sudden I'm here and don't know what to do?!
It may seem quite odd, but I just feel like I'm stranded here? Does that make sense?
Everything's bothering me tbh, the uni I'm in is sort of based away so we're literally the only course here? So there's no societies or anything that I could join?
And yeah, I'm really not fussed on the place either... It's a bit of a dump... And like all I can here from my room is loud cars, there's a pub right outside with people screaming and music playing until god knows what time in the morning...
Just hate it.
Original post by eevanss96
Yeah, I'm not really sure... It's just all happened too soon I think. Like it was a clearing thing, and so last minute, now all or a sudden I'm here and don't know what to do?!
It may seem quite odd, but I just feel like I'm stranded here? Does that make sense?
Everything's bothering me tbh, the uni I'm in is sort of based away so we're literally the only course here? So there's no societies or anything that I could join?
And yeah, I'm really not fussed on the place either... It's a bit of a dump... And like all I can here from my room is loud cars, there's a pub right outside with people screaming and music playing until god knows what time in the morning...
Just hate it.

Haha man perhaps its how you suddenly had to experience change that makes you feel like crap. Uhm i guess you could try to meet a couple of people and hang out with them. Slowly, they can ease you into the city and stuff, and plus you won't feel so lonely and you'll have company too :smile:
I don't think you hate the course nor the university. It's your first time being so far away from home and because of that, you have summarised your whole uni experience negatively and tempted to give up what you've worked hard for.

Give yourself more time to settle in your "new home" and the environment, you'll feel better once you get used to the changes around you. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I think it's because it is so soon, yeah. But it just seems like I'm surrounded by people who know way more about the course already.
I mean I've met lots of people, been out every night since Sunday except for last night, and I'm getting along with them. But I don't know. I feel isolated?

I probably don't hate the course, no, but I really really dont like the place, that's a definite. I just feel stranded here:frown:
I really really want to give it a chance,
I'm trying to jus get through it, but oh god, every time Im on my own I just cry and get so upset...
I just don't want to drop out and waste £3600 on accommodation. But I just feel like if I'm here, I'm gonna hate it; so it would make no difference if I went home
I don't know. There's so many things going round my head:/
Reply 8
Some people find moving away from home extremely stressful. When your on your own you might feel like having a good cry. It will take time to get over these feelings.

In my case about 3 weeks till I got over "wanting" to go home. By xmas I was glad to be going home for a couple of weeks but by then was no longer desparate to go home. By start of 2nd year I was going "home" when I went back to uni.

Give it at least a few weeks before making any kind of decide about whether you will leave.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending