The Student Room Group

Is a person not driving/being unable to drive a turn-off for you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Riku
understandable reservation, how old are you if you don't mind me asking?

I'm 22 and have just finished university. I myself didn't learn to drive until my second year of uni as I didn't get round to it in sixth form due to personal problems. I knew maybe a couple of other people who had lessons during uni and one friend who hadn't learnt is having lessons now she has graduated. I can't think of anyone who doesn't have a license and hasn't attempted to have lessons. However lessons are expensive, most people either get parental support or have a job, if someone didn't have that then not learning to drive would be very understandable.
Reply 41
Original post by Cool As Ice
Lower allowance of what mobility or care? and what do you mean by high functioning please?

I ask about that Lion because today whilst shopping campaigners were out and trying to get me to donate monthly to them, I said I couldn't right now but I was just wondering what people thought when they saw photo's like these?

It is believed that illegal poaching as well as legal poaching has sky rocketed and it's said these Lions face certain extinction within a few years at current rates.

the story of the Lion in the photo is of a recently poached Lion as you can see. the poacher first shot at the Lion with a broad head arrow tipped in poison form dart frog. after being hit with an arrow the Lion charged madly out of control and the poacher decided to shoot the lion dead with a gun. the poacher allowed the Lion to soak in it's own blood, bleeding from the mouth due to internal bleeding, it took 3 minutes for the Lion to die

Mobility I think…?

it's very sad to hear about the lion :frown:

…all the same, there's too much similarity between your way of thinking and mine for this to be comfortable to read.
Reply 42
Original post by Cool As Ice
what does that mean?

You seem to off on tangents a lot (namely this entire conversation about the poached lion which is completely unrelated to the thread's title, I see you have already discussed this elsewhere), provide far more detail than is necessary (sometimes inappropriately personal for a public forum but I've gone past caring and am likely to set up a new account soon...) over-analyse meanings and events, cherry-pick certain keywords or phrases to confront users with accusations of their hostility as a bi-product of this paralysis by analysis, a few other things. It's quite noticeable and I can only assume it's a facet of your conditions. I sympathise but I want you to be aware so that you can address them if you should ever need to; it may be of benefit. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PointeShoes-x
If he didn't own a car due to not needing one/not being able to afford it or whatever I wouldn't care, I'm in the same situation myself. But when someone my age has never made any attempt to have driving lessons or anything I would be interested to know why as I think it's quite unusual.

In the past I was always too poor, and by the time I could finally afford to take lessons I lived within cycling distance of my workplace, where I've held the same position (but with a steadily increasing salary) since 2009. At this juncture, a car would be an unwelcome drain on my finances for little tangible benefit.
Original post by Profesh
In the past I was always too poor, and by the time I could finally afford to take lessons I lived within cycling distance of my workplace, where I've held the same position (but with a steadily increasing salary) since 2009. At this juncture, a car would be an unwelcome drain on my finances for little tangible benefit.

That's completely understandable, and kind of admirable too due to the environmental benefits of not driving. Although I feel that as you get older cars become more valuable, especially for people with children. I wouldn't like to have children without having a car and being able to drive, unless maybe I lived in the middle of a city. So learning to drive is an investment in the future even if you don't use it straight away.
Original post by Da Di Doo
If a man can't drive then he seems less masculine to me for some reason.

So yeah, it is a turn off.

yeah cos we all know a ford fiesta on a dual carriageway is the equivalent to a charging war chariot into the maelstrom of the barbarian hordes. :rolleyes:

If he didn't own a car due to not needing one/not being able to afford it or whatever I wouldn't care, I'm in the same situation myself. But when someone my age has never made any attempt to have driving lessons or anything I would be interested to know why as I think it's quite unusual.

I never needed a car living in birmingham and hence never learnt to drive as i saw no reason to waste money on something i didnt need.

It wasnt until i moved home to Ireland i learnt to drive.

However at my age (33) I dont think id date someone now who didnt drive. I did it once and it gets really infuriating when you inevitably get treated like a taxi
Original post by silverbolt
yeah cos we all know a ford fiesta on a dual carriageway is the equivalent to a charging war chariot into the maelstrom of the barbarian hordes. :rolleyes:

I never needed a car living in birmingham and hence never learnt to drive as i saw no reason to waste money on something i didnt need.

It wasnt until i moved home to Ireland i learnt to drive.

However at my age (33) I dont think id date someone now who didnt drive. I did it once and it gets really infuriating when you inevitably get treated like a taxi

Haha yep, I think it really depends on where you live as to whether it is essential to drive or not. I live in a city centre so it would probably be more inconvenient to drive than not to. But I recently traveled to a suburb for a sports class and every single other person drove there and back or got a lift. It was really inconvenient walking back to the station along a secluded road alone at night and then waiting ages for a train, if I lived in an area like that I would consider a car a necessity.
Haha yep, I think it really depends on where you live as to whether it is essential to drive or not. I live in a city centre so it would probably be more inconvenient to drive than not to. But I recently traveled to a suburb for a sports class and every single other person drove there and back or got a lift. It was really inconvenient walking back to the station along a secluded road alone at night and then waiting ages for a train, if I lived in an area like that I would consider a car a necessity.

I live about seven miles from the nearest town and at least 70 miles from the nearest town with an incity public transport system.

A car is as needed here as water lol
Original post by silverbolt

I have no idea what that means, but, erm... Ok?
Reply 49
I have no idea what that means, but, erm... Ok?

He's referring to your perhaps unrealistic and demanding expectations of a man's masculinity, an elusive concept which confuses the best of us. In what way does a man become less of a man because he can't drive? :s-smilie:
Nope
Original post by Riku
I worded the last question terribly :redface: oh look there is the annoying self-deprecating smiley I made a thread about again...

In fairness that question for the last thread was also on my mind (although still needs rewording)

Would you think less of a guy/girl who, for various reasons, hadn't started driving lessons yet? I see a lot of people seem to think that passing your driving test, along with losing your virginity, is a necessary life milestone for 18-21 year olds to achieve. :curious:

I swear this is more of an American thing? I can assure you that despite driving a pretty decent car, I don't have any extra success with girls :tongue: (And I didn't buy the car cos of that either)
Reply 52
Original post by de_monies
I swear this is more of an American thing? I can assure you that despite driving a pretty decent car, I don't have any extra success with girls :tongue: (And I didn't buy the car cos of that either)

True, could be to do with the fact you can drive before you can drink Stateside :tongue:
Original post by Riku
He's referring to your perhaps unrealistic and demanding expectations of a man's masculinity, an elusive concept which confuses the best of us. In what way does a man become less of a man because he can't drive? :s-smilie:

In my mind he's less of a man because he can't do something as simple as learn to drive (unless he has some sort of medical condition). It's not exactly rocket science.
Reply 54
In my mind he's less of a man because he can't do something as simple as learn to drive (unless he has some sort of medical condition). It's not exactly rocket science.

goddammit I agree and I've made a poll to discuss

Quick Reply

Latest