The Student Room Group

Should I learn how to drive an automatic only????

I’m a girl whos extremely anxious about driving in general so I’ve always put it off but i have told myself this year I’m going to make sure I get my license. Do you think I’m better off just learning how to drive an automatic as I’ve heard from multiple people it’s way easier and it involves less control from my side. I’ve heard 50/50 opinions on this from family and friends and just wanted to know what other people think. Are there any cons other than not being able to drive manual cars?? I’m planning to treat myself to a nice car after I pass my test which most likely would be an automatic sooo
Original post by Anonymous #1
I’m a girl whos extremely anxious about driving in general so I’ve always put it off but i have told myself this year I’m going to make sure I get my license. Do you think I’m better off just learning how to drive an automatic as I’ve heard from multiple people it’s way easier and it involves less control from my side. I’ve heard 50/50 opinions on this from family and friends and just wanted to know what other people think. Are there any cons other than not being able to drive manual cars?? I’m planning to treat myself to a nice car after I pass my test which most likely would be an automatic sooo

Only disadvantage of you doing a automatic driving license is that you can't drive any manual vehicles.

Best perhaps to go for your manual driving license as that way you can drive both without having to go through anything else.
I was also really nervous about learning to drive - the whole thing felt overwhelming, and since I’m very left hand dominant I was so anxious about having to take my hand off the wheel to change gears. I was weighing up the same decision as you, and decided to learn manual for a while and see how I got on, as it’s easier to switch from manual to automatic than the other way around. Long story short, I found driving a manual absolutely fine! It took me a little while to learn (took lots of breaks due to other personal issues) but I managed to pass first time at 18 and haven’t had any issues since!
Probably easiest to get the full manual license then just buy an automatic for your first car. Gives you more flexibility in the long run.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending