The Student Room Group
Well it could depend on which college you apply to but i doubt that your GCSE grades will effect your chances of getting into oxford. After all you did get 4 A's at as level and this will play in your favour. What was your UMS score for the subjects? I'm sure with a strong application i dont see any reason why your GCSE grades should let you down. Oxford look at the overall package and GCSE's play only one part of what they consider offering a place at there college. Hope that helps.
Well as John posted in another thread I think they basically just "score" you, and if this happens then GCSEs will always be a factor... but at least you are almost guaranteed an interview shot and to do well in that. Just out of interest how come if you already have 4 As ur only applying now?
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Well as John posted in another thread I think they basically just "score" you, and if this happens then GCSEs will always be a factor... but at least you are almost guaranteed an interview shot and to do well in that. Just out of interest how come if you already have 4 As ur only applying now?

oxbridge deadline isn't til mid october right?
Normally. But I am no authority. was 15th in my year (applied in 2003).
It's October 15th This year
Reply 6
a_t
I'm thinking of applying for law at Oxbridge this year, but i got 3 A*'s 5 A's and 2B's at GCSE's. I did get 4 A's at A level though in Eng Lit, RS, History and Politics. Does anyone whos applied know if my GCSE's would rule me out of getting a place there?

Yours GCSEs definitely shouldn't rule you out. In fact, GCSEs are much less important for Oxbridge than they would be for many other top unis, because Oxbridge interview, and much more importance is placed on the interview than GCSE grades. You'll find that a lot of Oxbridge students don't have perfect GCSEs, because (although obviously they're not irrelevant) they come relatively low down on the priority scale for Oxbridge.
Reply 7
Your GCSEs shouldn't be a problem at all - they're good enough to get you an interview, as are your 4As, and after that, you're being assessed on so much more than just your grades. LNAT score, personal statement and interview are just as, if not more, important, so just focus on those now. I've heard of people with worse grades than yours getting through. You can't change your GCSE grades now, and you may as well apply for the unis you want to go to. Your GCSE grades certainly won't rule you out.

(Just to give you an idea, I got 4A*s, 6As and 2Bs at GCSE - I don't think they worried too much about my GCSEs to be honest)
Reply 8
Lewis-HuStuJCR

I'm only applying now cos I messed up my AS last year and got ABBC, and got like 5 rejections and one offer from somwhere I didn't like. My A2's are all around 85% like 510-20 UMS.

Anyone know which colleges are super picky btw.
Reply 9
At which university - Oxford or Cambridge? I know that Churchill are ridiculously picky at Cambridge (well I was put off by their website when it said something about everyone having 9A*s at GCSE and 4As at A-level or something!). I don't know much about Oxford colleges though.
milly87
At which university - Oxford or Cambridge? I know that Churchill are ridiculously picky at Cambridge (well I was put off by their website when it said something about everyone having 9A*s at GCSE and 4As at A-level or something!). I don't know much about Oxford colleges though.

Entry standards at churchill college cambridge are particularly high. Don't think that there are any other cambridge colleges that specify exactly how many 'A*' GCSE grades that you need to have to just get an interview. Also on top of the interview you have to do another written test and of course there is the LNAT to get through. Very gruelling indeed.

Also haven't seen any Oxford colleges specify any such standards at GCSE. But it is a widely held view that GCSE grades are an important factor (amongst others, especially LNAT score) in deciding whether you will be invited for an interview. Oxford invites less people for a law interview than Cambridge does.
Reply 11
superdillon
Entry standards at churchill college cambridge are particularly high. Don't think that there are any other cambridge colleges that specify exactly how many 'A*' GCSE grades that you need to have to just get an interview. Also on top of the interview you have to do another written test and of course there is the LNAT to get through. Very gruelling indeed.

I think most very good GCSE results (A*/A's in good numbers) with a good personal statement will get you to the interview stage. I think for Oxbridge they will put more emphasis on the interview as it's their own method of testing and viewing the suitability of people and their potential (as most other uni's don't interview in this quantity as far as I am aware).

I got my interview at Cambridge for law and GCSE wise I had 6 or 7 A*s [it's sad that I've forgotten now] 1 A and 2 B's!

However, don't forget law has now got the lovely LNAT. I'd imagine Oxbridge would also put quite a bit of emphasis on this too, have some sort of undisclosed entry level (i.e: [its out of 30, right?] say anything below 20 isn't good enough).

But that's just me guessing. Each uni does it differently. Each college does it differently. You can also always blow them away in the interview on the rare occasion so that the other parts of your application may not be of any real importance to them.

As for your chances, your GCSE's look fine. The fact you've taken Eng Lit should be good for the LNAT, so hopefully you'll get a good score on that which will help you on your way! Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending