The Student Room Group

Dish soap on hair

I have heard dish soap works very well as a clarifying shampoo.

I have used it before but I am worried it smells like I have been literally using dish soap. What I do when I use it, is I wash myself with it and it feels squeaky clean and then I shampoo using Head and Shoulders Menthol Fresh. After that point, my hair feels slightly less "squeaky clean".

Has anyone done this trick before? Is it noticeable? (as in the smell)
Gosh, I hope not...

By the way, I am a 14 year old male (turning 15 in Early November)
(edited 9 years ago)
Heard it but not done it tbh. You should just put on a conditioner or something that smells nice? Rosewater based? Personal opinion.
Original post by KittyRe-play
Heard it but not done it tbh. You should just put on a conditioner or something that smells nice? Rosewater based? Personal opinion.

My hair gets extremely greasy though. I try to avoid conditioners.

Any other suggestions.
Original post by 4.4KitKat
My hair gets extremely greasy though. I try to avoid conditioners.

Any other suggestions.

Mix some rosewater with pure water and let that be your final wash for your hair. Then just dry your hair (air dry) and I'm sure the smell should go away.
We I don't actually have rosewater.

By the way, I am a boy. 😂

The only consider I have is that pink head and shoulders one.
Well, I tried it today. Just dish soap. No one noticed but my hair still felt greasy by the end of the day. :frown:

I don't know what else to do. :frown:
Original post by 4.4KitKat
Well, I tried it today. Just dish soap. No one noticed but my hair still felt greasy by the end of the day. :frown:

I don't know what else to do. :frown:

1If the issue is that you have greasy hair it's probably best if you can ask your mum/whoever buys the shampoo if you can try a few different ones. Also wash your hair every couple of days as washing it every day can cause it to get greasier?

I personally can't use head and shoulders as it wrecks my hair so definitely try some others.

If you want to stick with the dishsoap plan, like everyone said try using another smell to take away the dishsoup smell. Try getting lavender essence or rose water as people said above. You can buy it fairly cheap in places like holland and baratts.
Original post by lyrical_lie
1If the issue is that you have greasy hair it's probably best if you can ask your mum/whoever buys the shampoo if you can try a few different ones. Also wash your hair every couple of days as washing it every day can cause it to get greasier?

I personally can't use head and shoulders as it wrecks my hair so definitely try some others.

If you want to stick with the dishsoap plan, like everyone said try using another smell to take away the dishsoup smell. Try getting lavender essence or rose water as people said above. You can buy it fairly cheap in places like holland and baratts.

I don't really want to be smelling of flowers and such.

My mum is very annoying when it comes to stuff like this. Honestly, she is really immature. She would say something along the lines of

"Awww, your growing up".

Might just buy it off Amazon. Any good recommendations?
I have tried Lynx, Head and Shoulders and none of them work.
Buy alberto balsam apple. Works wonders on greasy hair.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest