The Student Room Group

National 5 subject choice column restrictions?

I am concerned about the restriction of free choice in s4. I am currently in s3 and I am very worried incase I am forced to continue things like a technology, a creative art or a social subject. Does anyone know anything about if subject choice is a free choice or restricted?

It would be useful to know because I want to do some out of school studying for the subjects I know I will be taking :smile:

My current subjects are:
Art
german
chemistry
physics
design and technical
history
biology

(btw next year we have a limit of 6 subjects sadly)
In my school for fourth year there were just columns, you didn't have to pick a language or a social subject but they were grouped together in a column with other subjects. All schools are different though so the best thing to do is just ask.
I know my school generally implements the CfE 8 curricular areas in S4:

Literacy (English)
Numeracy (Mathematics)
Modern Languages (French/Spanish)
Social Subjects
Technologies (including Business)
Creative Art
Core RE
Core PE
Elective Choice

Exceptions are made for allowing access to three sciences or two languages/social subjects if so desired.
Reply 3
Original post by jackamakka
I know my school generally implements the CfE 8 curricular areas in S4:

Literacy (English)
Numeracy (Mathematics)
Modern Languages (French/Spanish)
Social Subjects
Technologies (including Business)
Creative Art
Core RE
Core PE
Elective Choice

Exceptions are made for allowing access to three sciences or two languages/social subjects if so desired.

Yeah it was the same for us in our third year subject choice :smile: except we were only allowed one language unless you did national 4 Spanish, and we were allowed any two social subjects.
Reply 4
Original post by ashleymacleod
In my school for fourth year there were just columns, you didn't have to pick a language or a social subject but they were grouped together in a column with other subjects. All schools are different though so the best thing to do is just ask.

Thank you so much for the reply ^_^ I was just getting a bit stressed about possibly having to rethink my entire plan for the future if I was forced to continue technical :eek:
You'll need to speak to the school for a definite answer. The columns depend on funding, timetabling and all sorts of considerations which are school specific

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fallenhail
I am concerned about the restriction of free choice in s4. I am currently in s3 and I am very worried incase I am forced to continue things like a technology, a creative art or a social subject. Does anyone know anything about if subject choice is a free choice or restricted?

It would be useful to know because I want to do some out of school studying for the subjects I know I will be taking :smile:

My current subjects are:
Art
german
chemistry
physics
design and technical
history
biology

(btw next year we have a limit of 6 subjects sadly)

I’m choosing me subject for Nat 5 now in my school there’s is no requirements for Nat 5 apart from maths and English. I’m not sure if it’s the same for all schools
Original post by Rosestage
I’m choosing me subject for Nat 5 now in my school there’s is no requirements for Nat 5 apart from maths and English. I’m not sure if it’s the same for all schools

This thread is 6 years old ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending