The Student Room Group

Failing LPC - What' Next?

Hi everyone,

Ridiculous how it may sound, there is a tiny possibility I may fail the LPC, at least 2 of the electives.

My question is therefore: if you fail the LPC, can you still apply for a training contract in order to have a law firm to sponsor you, so that you can do the LPC all over again...possibly somewhere else?

The University of Law has been a nightmare for me. Not even sure I want to carry on re-taking the exams with them!

Cheers
Unless you had some truly massive mitigating circumstances, with an academic CV which shows this is a huge anomaly, I think it'd be incredibly hard.

The general view on the LPC is that it's a total doddle. I think that's a bit much, it is a very different way of learning, but it has to be admitted they hold your hand through it a lot.
Original post by Le Nombre
Unless you had some truly massive mitigating circumstances, with an academic CV which shows this is a huge anomaly, I think it'd be incredibly hard.

The general view on the LPC is that it's a total doddle. I think that's a bit much, it is a very different way of learning, but it has to be admitted they hold your hand through it a lot.

Thanks for your reply. I have a 2:1 in law and experience in a law firm. The thing is, I have never found appropriate info online re this matter.

Like...if I wanted to do the LPC again from the start somewhere else, would my results still be subject to disclosure or can I just start from attempt 1 at another uni? I don't seem to find enough info online.
Original post by AllGoodThings
Thanks for your reply. I have a 2:1 in law and experience in a law firm. The thing is, I have never found appropriate info online re this matter.

Like...if I wanted to do the LPC again from the start somewhere else, would my results still be subject to disclosure or can I just start from attempt 1 at another uni? I don't seem to find enough info online.

Ring the SRA and get written confirmation of their answer. The issue will be explaining what you did with this year to firms.
Is there more to this query than meets the eye? Why has the UoL been a nightmare for you? Why do you think you will fail two electives? What's going on? Have you been doing the resits over the summer? You obviously think it will be OK if you can have another crack at it, but why? If two electives have foxed you then why will it be different next time round? Is it the electives you chose? Or do you think they weren't taught properly?

Re TCs - there are often questions about 'have you ever had to resit an exam' - but can't recall one saying 'have you ever failed an exam' - mmm. Presumably you did apply for TCs before you self-funded the LPC anyway

Why don't you talk to your UofL personal tutor or careers service about this?

This is a stressful situation for you - I can't help thinking there is more to this than meets the eye - I also agree - the LPC has a rep for being easy but I don't think it's as simple as that - there are so many elements to it and it is very different from your degree

Original post by AllGoodThings
Hi everyone,

Ridiculous how it may sound, there is a tiny possibility I may fail the LPC, at least 2 of the electives.

My question is therefore: if you fail the LPC, can you still apply for a training contract in order to have a law firm to sponsor you, so that you can do the LPC all over again...possibly somewhere else?

The University of Law has been a nightmare for me. Not even sure I want to carry on re-taking the exams with them!

Cheers
Reply 5
Given your lack of a training contract, would it not have made more sense to do the CILEx, become a fee earner and done the LPC a few years later after fellowship? A bit late now but I don't understand why anyone, including those who want to work for the kind of firms who won't fund the LPC, would pay for that crock of a qualification unless they were guaranteed to become a solicitor at the end of it? And by guaranteed, I mean having a waiver on the work experience requirement through FCILEx and not just a training contract lined up (after all, you might get made redundant or not perform).

My outsider's view is that the LPC is a grossly overpriced course of dubious merit. Partly, it tries to imitate work experience that is not a patch on what you will learn on a training contract; partly, it's an academic refresher where you do some legal subjects in less depth than your LLB, GDL or Level 6 Diploma. And partly it covers business skills that much cheaper qualifications better provide, like accounts. Surely the sooner they do away with this the better?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending