The Student Room Group

does employment section on ucas affect uni decisions

hey, i have a job interview in a couple of weeks and haven't got any paid work to put on ucas and id like to send application off this week. does anyone know if having no employment negatively affects your application? if it does ill just wait and see if i get the job. thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KingJ95
hey, i have a job interview in a couple of weeks and havent got any paid work to put on ucas and id like to send application of this week. does anyone know if having no emplyment negatively affects your application? if it does ill just wait and see if i get the job. thanks

No. Its purpose is to show universities what non-school leaver applicants have been doing since they left school.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
No. Its purpose is to show universities what non-school leaver applicants have been doing since they left school.

ok thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Carnationlilyrose

what do you mean? I've had a part time and summer job (paid) and im pretty sure it would be beneficial for me to put it in ?
Original post by jack97
what do you mean? I've had a part time and summer job (paid) and im pretty sure it would be beneficial for me to put it in ?

You can put it in if you like, but that's not really what it's for. If you are applying to university at the age of 25, you need to account for what you've done between 18 and 25. If you want to reflect on any experience from your summer jobs, that's better done in your ps. If you aren't reflecting on your experience it a) has no place in your ps and b) is wasting characters you could use better on something relevant, so put it in the employment section.
Original post by jack97

They mean it will have minimal effect for most applications, having had a job is only really an advantage when you're on the borderline or the work is relevant to the course you're doing.

In practice, unless you're applying to a competitive course or certain uni's like LSE, the only thing they care about are your grades.
I hope not... I've never had a paid job! So I just left it blank :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending