The Student Room Group

Allowed to apply to three similar courses in the same department in the same uni?

Will I be allowed to apply to three similar courses ( or even four?) in the same department in the same university? Will this make the admission team think I do not have enough commitment to one specific course and then decide not to give me any offers/ decrease the chances of getting offers, just because I apply to three similar courses? Or it is usually just allowed to apply to maximum two similar courses in the same uni? more than two courses will be considered as an inconfident applicant who doesn't have enough commitment?

I would like to apply to MMU fashion business management ,fashion buying & merchandising and fashion marketing/ fashion communication. Fashion business management is the most favourite one and I will also apply to either of the remaining ones as the backup choices ( I think I may also apply to fashion buying & merchandsing, but for the third one, not sure it will be fashion marketing or fashion communciation) . It is because it is not guaranteed to receive the alternative course offer if I don’t choose the choice of alternative course in the beginning. I won’t consider choosing other uni as I can only stay in Manchester.

For the entry requirements, the UCAS points of fashion business management ,fashion buying & merchandising are the same (104-112). Fashion marketing requires 112-120 ucas points. Fashion communication requires 104-112 UCAS points but it also requires a portfolio. I am an international student so I didn’t participate in any GCSE or Alevel and the admission team can’t answer if my qualification fulfils its requirement until I submit the application.

Actually my most favourite one is fashion business management but I may choose fashion communication as my backup choice. It is because fashion communication requires a portfolio apart from qualification and I write a bit creative stuff in my personal statement. I am not sure if the admission team will think I perform better in fashion communication, and then choose to give me the offer of fashion communication and reject my fashion business management application? But actually fashion business management is my no.1 choice.
I am not very sure how does the admission team decide to give me the offer. Does the admission team deal with each course application individually? In other words, the uni can give me offers of three courses? Will it think I perform better in other backup choice ( like fashion communication), and then decide not to give me the offer of fashion business management?

The last question will be is it true that the uni will still give me offer if I perform well in my portfolio even though my grade is a bit lower than the basic requirement? Or, if I can't fulfil the basic grade requirement, I won't be able to receive the offer evn though I perform well in my portfolio?

Many Thanks
(edited 3 months ago)
Which university are you applying to? Manchester or MMU?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Which university are you applying to? Manchester or MMU?

Manchester Metropolitan Univeristy
Original post by Ruby12hty
Manchester Metropolitan Univeristy

Have you spoken to them about your plans/concerns?

(And I’m glad you’re applying for MMU and not UoM - lots of people choose UoM without realising they’re not good for fashion!)

Have you looked into universities that are commuting distance from Manchester as backups?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by PQ

Have you spoken to them about your plans/concerns?

(And I’m glad you’re applying for MMU and not UoM - lots of people choose UoM without realising they’re not good for fashion!)

Not yet…. I have called the admission team and one of the staff just reply I can apply to multiple courses in order to secure a place if one of my firm choice is rejected. Also, it is not always guaranteed to provide an alternative choice. But I am afraid if I apply to three courses will be too much and may even affect their decision negatively,although the courses are quite similar.
Original post by Ruby12hty
Not yet…. I have called the admission team and one of the staff just reply I can apply to multiple courses in order to secure a place if one of my firm choice is rejected. Also, it is not always guaranteed to provide an alternative choice. But I am afraid if I apply to three courses will be too much and may even affect their decision negatively,although the courses are quite similar.

It’s unlikely that they will close any of these courses after the January deadline - why not apply to your favourite one or 2 for now and add the others later if you don’t get an offer for your favourite. You don’t have to use all 5 choices at once.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ

It’s unlikely that they will close any of these courses after the January deadline - why not apply to your favourite one or 2 for now and add the others later if you don’t get an offer for your favourite. You don’t have to use all 5 choices at once.

May I know if the MMU admission team (or average UK uni's admission team) will usually consider each course application individually or holistically? It is because the same uni will know how I apply /what are the other courses that I want to apply to. I am not sure if they will compare how I perform in the personal statement to decide which offers to be given to me (give me all offers or reject one of the applications).

Besides, I am considering choosing Salford fashion business promotion as my backup or not. Although Salford fashion ranking is good enough, its overall QS ranking is below the average. If I work in the fashion industry. Salford would be fine for me as its fashion ranking is not bad, even though the uni's overall QS ranking is not high.

However, there is a chance that I may want to work outside the fashion industry. So the university's overall QS ranking may become important in this situation. I don't know if employers in the UK will focus a lot on the university's ranking, especially if I don't have any working experience. I am afraid that it will be difficult to find internships/ jobs if my university ranking is low.

Many thanks🙏🏻
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending