The Student Room Group

Do I need to mention an irrelevant (failed) qualification on a future uni application

I dropped out of a BTEC extended diploma in computer science (long story), and I’m not sure if I’ll get the qualification out of it - which would be a foundation diploma, as I only completed one year of the course. Next year, I am planning to do english lit, politics and classics a levels and I would like to study politics at uni after these, on the future uni application, will I have to mention the computer science course, and if I do, will it affect the offer from the unis?
Yes, you need to declare all attempted qualifications regardless of whether you passed or not, when you apply through UCAS. Failure to do so can lead UCAS to flag your application as fraudulent and any offers you hold to be nullified, and UCAS themselves may bar you from future application cycles.

So you have to declare it whether it will make a difference or not. I doubt it will though.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes, you need to declare all attempted qualifications regardless of whether you passed or not, when you apply through UCAS. Failure to do so can lead UCAS to flag your application as fraudulent and any offers you hold to be nullified, and UCAS themselves may bar you from future application cycles.

So you have to declare it whether it will make a difference or not. I doubt it will though.

Thank you, does that mean as long as you declare it in your application, you can leave it out of the personal statement (or whatever the systems gonna be for 2025 entry)?
Original post by jlover
Thank you, does that mean as long as you declare it in your application, you can leave it out of the personal statement (or whatever the systems gonna be for 2025 entry)?

You don't need to mention any specific qualifications in your personal statement. In fact most personal statements could probably be improved by people not needlessly plugging their A-level subjects in there...

You still need to declare it in the qualifications section of your application though.
hii!! good luck w ur a levels! r u self teaching or doing it at collegere
You don't need to mention any specific qualifications in your personal statement. In fact most personal statements could probably be improved by people not needlessly plugging their A-level subjects in there...

You still need to declare it in the qualifications section of your application though.

im gonna make a scenario (in my case), what if you applied for level 2 animak science and left a week or 2 after cos of mental health ?? and took a year from college to work at mc donalds. then i did level 2 h&sc at college. then applied for lvl3 and only did from september until december and then decided i wanted to do a levels at home as the travel was long and my mental health was bad as the teachers were horrible.. and will complete my exams in 2025 (started 3 a-levels in Jan and now adding biology in august/september) would my application look bad ???
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by alevelstudent090
im gonna make a scenario, what if you applied for level 2 animak science and left a week or 2 after cos of mental health ??

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/filling-your-ucas-undergraduate-application

Section 3. As I said, you need to declare all qualifications (from secondary onwards - which a level 2 qualification is).
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/filling-your-ucas-undergraduate-application

Section 3. As I said, you need to declare all qualifications (from secondary onwards - which a level 2 qualification is).

ah ok thanks:smile: does it look bad not finishing courses?
ah ok thanks:smile: does it look bad not finishing courses?

Probably context dependent and depends on also how that affects your completing your overall education in preparation for degree level study. But also assuming this is the case, it's a bit of a moot point because it happened and you have to declare it (bearing in mind unis will use your unique learner number to cross reference the qualifications you have been entered for at school with the exam boards) so if it affects things it will just affect them and there's not much to be done about it.
Probably context dependent and depends on also how that affects your completing your overall education in preparation for degree level study. But also assuming this is the case, it's a bit of a moot point because it happened and you have to declare it (bearing in mind unis will use your unique learner number to cross reference the qualifications you have been entered for at school with the exam boards) so if it affects things it will just affect them and there's not much to be done about it.

ahhh, would they most likely reject me if they saw but i got a really good personal statement and the right grades? just my mental health was bad and i wasn’t myself. bit worrying as i never knew thisssss
Reply 10
hii!! good luck w ur a levels! r u self teaching or doing it at collegere

I'm gonna do them at a college, and good luck!!
Reply 11

Thank you! :smile:
ahhh, would they most likely reject me if they saw but i got a really good personal statement and the right grades? just my mental health was bad and i wasn’t myself. bit worrying as i never knew thisssss

No, they probably won't care that you dropped out of some random level 2 course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending