The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths Resit

So I'm halfway through my GCSE exams right, and don't get me wrong they've all been fine so far apart from probably the most important one, maths.
The night before the exam I was confident and chill but woke up the next day with two nose bleeds before I even left the house, another when I arrived at school and then another a couple minutes before the exam.
Looking back now I know a bunch of questions I could have gotten right but during the exam, I was constantly thinking my nose was gonna bleed and something would happen as well as other things that just completely threw me off.

It's annoying because I know the grade from this paper is going to bring my overall grade down which is something I can't afford.
I understand there's a resit paper which I believe is in Autumn?
How do I apply?
Does it mean I'd have to do further math lessons until the exam?
Would they take the higher grade from the original and resit paper or just the grade from the resit?
Is it three papers like it is normally?
Are the papers any more difficult?
Does it affect employment or show up that I did a resit paper (regardless of final grade) and be something that could affect an employer potentially hiring me?
Does it affect anthing in general?
Are they seen as less respected in any way?

Appreciate any responses and I'll probably post more questions I've got based on the answers here.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Hi, I can't answer all your questions with certainty but this is what I think. Firstly, just do your best now and wait to see how you do, if there's one thing I've learnt it's that when it comes to GCSEs/A-levels there's very rarely a situation that can't be fixed.

Normally resits are applied for and organised through whichever organisation you took the exam through eg: your school
I don't believe there would be any obligation to do any more lessons before your resit if you didn't want to (but probably best you do)
There may be an option just to resit one paper but this will likely depend on the exam board
Again it will likely depend on the exam board but I imagine they'd pick the highest scores for each paper across the original and resit
No they are the same difficulty as the original paper (in the same way that this years paper will be the same difficulty as last years)
No, it is incredibly rare if not unknown for the fact you re-sat an exam to affect future employment - honestly, no one will care, if you've got the grade you've got the grade. There are some very particular uni courses that might specify "no-resits" in their entry requirements but these normally refer to A-levels.
No, they are held to the same standard, they're the same exam just a different paper.

I hope this helps, honestly best of luck with the rest of your exams, I re-did some GCSEs last year 20yrs after I did them the first time so I know how hard you must be working and what stress you're under - there is light at the end of the tunnel I promise. Just take a deep breath and do what you can :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by cristian_g14
So I'm halfway through my GCSE exams right, and don't get me wrong they've all been fine so far apart from probably the most important one, maths.
The night before the exam I was confident and chill but woke up the next day with two nose bleeds before I even left the house, another when I arrived at school and then another a couple minutes before the exam.
Looking back now I know a bunch of questions I could have gotten right but during the exam, I was constantly thinking my nose was gonna bleed and something would happen as well as other things that just completely threw me off.

It's annoying because I know the grade from this paper is going to bring my overall grade down which is something I can't afford.
I understand there's a resit paper which I believe is in Autumn?
How do I apply?
Does it mean I'd have to do further math lessons until the exam?
Would they take the higher grade from the original and resit paper or just the grade from the resit?
Is it three papers like it is normally?
Are the papers any more difficult?
Does it affect employment or show up that I did a resit paper (regardless of final grade) and be something that could affect an employer potentially hiring me?
Does it affect anthing in general?
Are they seen as less respected in any way?

Appreciate any responses and I'll probably post more questions I've got based on the answers here.

Did you report the nose bleeds so the school can apply for special consideration?
Ask where you are studying next term; you'll need to pay.
You get a grade from the three resit papers it would be a school decision on lesons
Same difficulty
You need to declare BOTH grades on your UCAS application
The grade will be on a different ceetificate which will say November 2023.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by sivikasi
Hi, I can't answer all your questions with certainty but this is what I think. Firstly, just do your best now and wait to see how you do, if there's one thing I've learnt it's that when it comes to GCSEs/A-levels there's very rarely a situation that can't be fixed.

You can't just sit one paper
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
You can't just sit one paper

Yes now I think about it the exam board would struggle to combine papers from different series because of the different grade boundaries. I stand corrected :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by sivikasi
Yes now I think about it the exam board would struggle to combine papers from different series because of the different grade boundaries. I stand corrected :smile:

You could when GCSEs were modular :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest