The Student Room Group

Have any of you visited the Scottish Highlands?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Spock's Socks
Wow thanks, this was a really informative post :smile:
I would love to go to Skye but I think we may keep that for another weekend away so we could spend our entire time there. I'm from Ayr and the furthest up in Scotland I've ever been is Edinburgh so I'm really looking forward to going to the highlands. Aviemore is definitely on our list, I think we'll be keeping that for the way back down home.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I (sort of) live in Aberdeen and went to Aviemore with my family last year - great place that. I'm not really sure what's close to Inverness, but if you go to the west, Glen Coe, Oban, Fort William are all absolutely beautiful places, to drive through or visit. You've also got all the mountains if you like hiking; was there in the summer and it was great - by far the best scenery to anywhere I've ever been, ever! Another suggestion if you go up another time (I think they've all finished now? Not sure) is the Highland Games. Went to my first one this year in Ballater and it was absolutely brilliant. Again depending how far you want to go though, that's east of the Caingormes quite close to Aberdeen so a bit of travel. Agreed with what you want to do with Skye - never been there but I know family who have, apparently one of the most beautiful places they've ever been!
Reply 21
Thanks everyone for all the extra suggestions on attractions to visit! Looking forward to going...eventually :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by muffingg
Sad to hear this, but on the other hand I'm able to give som of my advice should you get another chance to go. During summer 2013 I went from Nottingham to the Scottish Highlands on one of the most memorable road trips ever.

We had this interest of visitng the most remote places. So we went to Applecross, which is on the West Boarder. The road there is extremely scenic and really really remote but a fun place to visit. Other than that, we went to Dalness, the place where certain scenes from Skyfall were shot. Then there is the road A82, which is just mindblowing to drive through. We were more of a road trip group, so we preferred going to scenic drives rather than specific locations, but some of the places we went to, included:

* A82 Road between the A85 junction and Fort William
* Loch Ness
* Castle Stalker
* Bealach Na Ba (the Applecross Road)
* Eilean Donnan Castle
* Fort William (Ben Nevis, Nevis Range Gondola Experience, Jacobite Steam Train, Neptune's Staircase)
* Camped in the middle of nowhere (near Eilean Donnan Castle)

Some photos here:

Spoiler

Wow your pics are great. The scenery from the highlands look so beautiful from all the pics I have seen. Thanks for all the suggestions too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Went to Stirling yesterday and they say that's the 'brooch that holds the highlands and lowlands together' and the scenery was beautiful so I can only imagine how nice the highlands will be :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Went to Stirling yesterday and they say that's the 'brooch that holds the highlands and lowlands together' and the scenery was beautiful so I can only imagine how nice the highlands will be :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually live in this area! I think you would love Inverness if you loved Stirling. I, like many others, would recommend Loch Ness and exploring that area. Castle Urqhuart is really lovely too as is Aviemore which is quite a bit out of the city! Go and see the reindeer there if you can-it is a bit of a walk up the hill with the guide but it is worth it to see them, and the views from the hill are beautiful. Hope you have a great time if you have not been up this way already :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Jennyc1994
I actually live in this area! I think you would love Inverness if you loved Stirling. I, like many others, would recommend Loch Ness and exploring that area. Castle Urqhuart is really lovely too as is Aviemore which is quite a bit out of the city! Go and see the reindeer there if you can-it is a bit of a walk up the hill with the guide but it is worth it to see them, and the views from the hill are beautiful. Hope you have a great time if you have not been up this way already :smile:

Still not been up to the highlands yet and I think we will end up just coming up in the summer instead as my bf wants to camp up there and its waaaay too cold for that atm lol. We are going to Blackpool for 4 days this Friday. It may not be as romantic as the highlands but meh, a wee break away is a wee break away :tongue: my bf didn't want to miss the last day of the pleasure beach being open this year haha. Thanks for the suggestions on where to visit. I will visit the highlands eventually lol :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Still not been up to the highlands yet and I think we will end up just coming up in the summer instead as my bf wants to camp up there and its waaaay too cold for that atm lol. We are going to Blackpool for 4 days this Friday. It may not be as romantic as the highlands but meh, a wee break away is a wee break away :tongue: my bf didn't want to miss the last day of the pleasure beach being open this year haha. Thanks for the suggestions on where to visit. I will visit the highlands eventually lol :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are welcome! Yeah I would say summer is better for camping up here as it is freezing here ATM haha :tongue: I hope you enjoy Blackpool, am sure you will :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone visiting the Scottish highlands HAS to visit Eilean Donan Castle. Apparently one of theo most photographed castles in the world and if you go there on a nice day you will see why. Its AMAZING.
I love the highlands, if you're into skiing then aviemore is the place for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh yeah, Aviemore is really good for skiing in winter. It's also really good for outdoor adventure spots in the summer. I went there for river tubing this summer and it was brilliant!
Reply 30
Thanks for the extra suggestions guys :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Isle of Arran - they have wild deer roaming the North of the Island and Goat Fell is spectacular but quite a hard walk. Machrie Moor if you like stone circles.

The Isle Of Sye is fantastic - see the Quairaing and The Old Man of Storr + go for a walk in the Cullins.
Reply 32
Yeah Arran is lovely :smile: I live in Ayr so I pretty much get a constant view of the island. I have been on the Waverly and went by the island but never stopped on it. Keep meaning to go over every summer and never get around to it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
If you ever get a chance, go up to the NORTH west coast (would advise going in the summer though)!! The beaches are spectacular, white sand and water as clear as the Med. Durness is a wonderful place, with lots to do for somewhere so rural - Theres a craft village selling loads of bits and pieces - glass artwork, driftwood carvings, painting, and an AMAZING chocolate shop. About 20 miles south there is Kinlochbervie, if you like walking then go here and take a walk out to Sandwood Bay. It's 5 miles each way but the walk is not difficult (just take lots of midge repellent!) and the beach is totally worth it.

Myself and my boyfriend went on a road trip this summer along the west coast. We drove down from Aberdeen to Oban - Fort William - Mallaig (to take the ferry to Skye (there is a bridge to Skye too but its further north so we went back over on the bridge to continue north) - Skye - Inverness - Kinlochbervie (my dad lives in Kinlochbervie so we stayed there the longest).
We had plenty to do, if you're into castles then there are loads. Oban is a thriving place with loads of shops, restaurants, and a distillery if you are interested. Also plenty of boat trips to see wild sealife such as seals, dolphins and puffins! Fort William is fantastic for walking. Take the gondola up Glen Nevis - it's lovely! As with Oban, Fort William is a thriving town with loads to do. On the way to Mallaig we visited the Glenfinnan Viaduct (Harry Potter) and saw the train go by (you can go and ride the train too if you like which would probably be nice). Skye is a lovely place but not my favourite. We didn't have the best experience with the weather, but the scenery is gorgeous. We visited the fairy pools which were stunning - although busy as it was a hot day and everyone was swimming! Inverness was only a stopover on the way to my dads, but we did pass Eilean Donan castle which is pretty spectacular as everyone says! You could also stop by Gairloch and Ullapool - both lovely places.
We had pretty good weather most of the time (apart from in Skye when our tent almost blew away during the night of gale-force winds!) and during our time in Kinlochbervie it was so hot I got incredibly sunburnt, and the sea was warm enough to swim in without a wetsuit.

The West coast and the northern highlands are a wonderful and beautiful place. Just remember to expect rain, midges, and no phone signal. Camping is great because you can just do as you please - campsites rarely need to be booked so you can just turn up whenever you want. Definitely a trip to take in the summer though!
Reply 34
Original post by Rum Ham
I'm planning to go to Inverness for a few days next weekend and I'm wondering where else to visit while I'm there. I'm going with my bf and we'll be driving up with our car so going to remote places wouldn't be a problem. The only place we have planned to visit so far is Loch Ness :tongue:

If any of you have been, give me a shout on places/attractions you recommend :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya! If you're a mountain person, do visit the Ben Nevis range. There's a cable car that takes you up to the higher points where there are food joints that sell authentic Scottish food. The view is AMAZING. But do check the weather for the day you plan to go to Ben Nevis - it was very windy and cold, even though I had the thickest of my winter coats! If you're more of a city person, you could visit the Edinburgh Castle. It overlooks the sea and there are a few really good pubs and food joints just as you leave the castle. There are quite a few whiskey distilleries near the city if you're interested. Even the Glasgow Cathedral is extremely beautiful if you're into medieval architecture. Hope this helps! Have a great time!!

Quick Reply

Latest