The Student Room Group
You probably will.
We use various bits of guinea pigs in our pharmacology experiments
Reply 2
How can you mix up pharmacy and pharmacology???
Anyway, what uni are you going to? Some unis do both pharmacy and pharmacology, in which case you might be able to move from one course to the other quite easily. I know at Bath the whole of the first year timetable is combined between the two subjects, so it cant be too hard transferring in the first year...might just take some persuading!
Reply 3
lol..thank god i choose pharmacy
Reply 4
Retrospectively check the prospectus entry/departmental website for the course. The pharmacology papers for my degree required involvement in animal tissue practicals, which was made clear in the prospectus - how else can you empirically study pharmacology at a basic science level?
Reply 5
Hey,

no my uni doesnt do pharmacy so i cant switch to it and Hehe ryanY thanks for your input lol.

BTW the prospectus doesnt state anything about using animal testing :eek: so maybe there are other ways of researching

i only want to learn about the topics which seems really interesting like

Pharmacology, physiology, organic chemistry, cell biology, molecular biology, genetics, biodiversity

thats what they are teaching...doesnt that sound interesting!!!! yup yup:biggrin:
RyanY
lol..thank god i choose pharmacy

You still have to do some pharmacology.
Reply 7
ok cool, yeh I know that. As long as it isn't the pig's kidney that made me wna b sick!! I felt so sick during that dissection:redface:
Awww. All the pharmacol experiments I've done so far, the organ we're testing on has already been set up in the organ bath so you don't have to go messing with it!
Reply 9
bananasrgr8
Hey,

no my uni doesnt do pharmacy so i cant switch to it and Hehe ryanY thanks for your input lol.

BTW the prospectus doesnt state anything about using animal testing :eek: so maybe there are other ways of researching

i only want to learn about the topics which seems really interesting like

Pharmacology, physiology, organic chemistry, cell biology, molecular biology, genetics, biodiversity

thats what they are teaching...doesnt that sound interesting!!!! yup yup:biggrin:

Are you going to Liverpool? I'm starting my final year of Pharmacology there on Monday. Yeah we do use animal tissues in lab experiments. Mainly guinea pig ileum and stuff like that. Your 1st year will be sooo boring! You don't get to pick ANY modules (unless its changed). The Biodiversity modules (animals, and the plants one) were the worst ever! Sorry, not to trying to put you off! It gets much better in 2nd year!
iN 2nd year at Manchester you do a Home Office training course to work in vivo - live tissues, and animals... are you sure you want to be a pharmacologist if you don't want to work on animals? Most jobs would include some animal work.

Latest

Trending

Trending