The Student Room Group

I NEED HELP Is taking a gap year to apply to dentistry for the first time a good idea

I didn't apply at my school to be an early applicant or for the bmat and ucat tests in the summer because I was struggling to get good grades in school. I did manage to get predicted AAA due to my mocks.
Do you think it's a good idea to apply for a pharmacology/ dentistry related degree this year, and if i get AAA or higher, take a gap year and apply for dentistry. Cause i would have months to get work experience, practise for the BMAT without any other stress as well as be able to get a non conditional offer.
Original post by billiefan
I didn't apply at my school to be an early applicant or for the bmat and ucat tests in the summer because I was struggling to get good grades in school. I did manage to get predicted AAA due to my mocks.
Do you think it's a good idea to apply for a pharmacology/ dentistry related degree this year, and if i get AAA or higher, take a gap year and apply for dentistry. Cause i would have months to get work experience, practise for the BMAT without any other stress as well as be able to get a non conditional offer.

Just to let you know, 2024 is the last time the BMAT will be used. The BMAT will no longer exist, a different entrance exam will take its place
It is a good idea to focus only on your grades, it makes year 13 a lot less stressful - with the mock exams in November, January, march - preparing for any interview is stressful

It also gives you time to think whether you actually want to do dentistry
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Just to let you know, 2024 is the last time the BMAT will be used. The BMAT will no longer exist, a different entrance exam will take its place
It is a good idea to focus only on your grades, it makes year 13 a lot less stressful - with the mock exams in November, January, march - preparing for any interview is stressful

It also gives you time to think whether you actually want to do dentistry

Thank you, I think I just needed someone to reassure my plan cause my whole family was discouraging me from taking a gap year. :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest