The Student Room Group

Dead Troll

Scroll to see replies

It's not the first time I've heard stories of people being outed on social media. There's a worrying trend of "social justice", which involves targetting people who disagree with you, or offend you, by trying to expose them. I think it's something that should be looked that, and potentially made illegal, as it's becoming harmful.
This was a very valid story, of clear interest to many readers. And of course that is whom reporters serve, and rightly so. I find entirely unconvincing the idea that newspapers should not broadcast stories because the people involved may not like it. If she didn't want her actions to become public knowledge she probably shouldn't have started defaming bereaved parents on a public forum.

A vibrant, free press is one of the greatest assets this country has. If it sometimes strikes a bit close to the bone that is a fair price to pay. Merely providing information to the masses should never be labelled vigilante justice.
Reply 22
Original post by Rinsed
This was a very valid story, of clear interest to many readers. And of course that is whom reporters serve, and rightly so. I find entirely unconvincing the idea that newspapers should not broadcast stories because the people involved may not like it. If she didn't want her actions to become public knowledge she probably shouldn't have started defaming bereaved parents on a public forum.

A vibrant, free press is one of the greatest assets this country has. If it sometimes strikes a bit close to the bone that is a fair price to pay. Merely providing information to the masses should never be labelled vigilante justice.

This is where I disagree with people. I really don't think it's in the public interest. I think it's an example of the media trying to sensationalize a none story. It's not providing information,really, because they always portray someone as a bad guy to fit their narrative.

Will the media hound the people who are "trolling" the who died son? No.

The Macans (Excuse my spelling) will do anything to get in the paper, and the media just keep reporting it.

I'm not quite sure which I hate more in this country. The newspapers,or the police force.
Original post by InnerTemple
This is the problem when people like journalists take matters into their own hands. They find what they think is a good story and before you know it, the subject of that story has their details and picture posted all over the place.

There is a proper process for dealing with things like internet trolls. This process is in place for a reason and ought to be followed.

Related to this is vigilantes who try to catch paedophiles using online accounts pretending to be young girls. What they are not appreciating is that this action can frustrate proper criminal investigations and seriously damage the lives of innocent parties caught up in the ploy. Channel 4 ran a documentary on this last week and I was shocked to see the name and face of someone who was never charged or convicted displayed for all to see.

Can't these twitter trolls use TOR ?

Or just not troll at all ?
Reply 24
Original post by democracyforum
Can't these twitter trolls use TOR ?

How did sky news get hold of her details anyway?
Original post by n00
How did sky news get hold of her details anyway?

Police probably leaked the address/ IP .

It didn't help she had her own face as has her twitter picture also

Send a private investigator, or just a journalist, to visit the neighbourhood, and from there it is quite easy to find someone
Original post by Rinsed

This wasn't trolling.

This was emotional abuse and harassment, directly sent to them.

Big difference.

I think she deserved it
Original post by Scott.
This is where I disagree with people. I really don't think it's in the public interest. I think it's an example of the media trying to sensationalize a none story. It's not providing information,really, because they always portray someone as a bad guy to fit their narrative.

Will the media hound the people who are "trolling" the who died son? No.

The Macans (Excuse my spelling) will do anything to get in the paper, and the media just keep reporting it.

I'm not quite sure which I hate more in this country. The newspapers,or the police force.

Unfortunately it's not for you to decide what's in the public interest. And, at a base level, the public were interested.
Presumably she is thought to have committed suicide? If so why? It's very sad for her and her family - because she was, in the end, so ashamed of what she had written that she couldn't face the publicity? She had obviously not thought it through.

If you're not prepared to say the same things face to face in public to the person/people addressed. Don't hide behind what you hope is anonymity and expect to be protected.

If you're not prepared to stand up and be counted and argue for your point of view, then perhaps you shouldn't be saying it. She didn't, unfortunately for her, have the courage of her convictions.
Gerry McCann has blood on his hands.

Some people can post whatever they like because they are out of the reach of the law if they live in certain countries.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I also feel this way. Why has nobody been done for child neglect?

Edit: Apart from the fact that everyone involved is white and middle class.

Another valid point, there would be no sympathy if it was a working class single mother who would have done what the McCann's did!
Original post by democracyforum
This wasn't trolling.

This was emotional abuse and harassment, directly sent to them.

It wasn't either of them.

Unless you have a link to the abuse and harassment.

The McCanns aren't on Twitter anyway.

This woman did nothing wrong.
Reply 32
The newspapers did something good for a change.
Original post by Wilfred Little
It wasn't either of them.

Unless you have a link to the abuse and harassment.

The McCanns aren't on Twitter anyway.

This woman did nothing wrong.

So who was she sending the tweets to ?

But I do believe the mccanns are involved in the death/disappearance and are the shiftiest people ever

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending