The Student Room Group

Is working in the summer worth it?

I have a job now I been working since March but I’m thinking about quitting it since it’s summer. I’m 24 years old and I wanna enjoy my life. My dad pays all of my bills. Working is a waste of time because you won’t be able to enjoy your life. Overal is it just me or is working a waste in the summer? I live with my parents and they support me.
I think it depends on your long term goals. Safe to assume your dad isn't going to pay your bills forever? Jobs in our age range are not only about making money, but also about getting skills in the workplace.

My advice would be to find a job in a field your passionate about. If your parents are covering your costs, what's great is that you don't have to stress too much about your pay/salary.

This is more of a US thing, but I find this Tik Tok channel on salary transparency to be so interesting

https://www.tiktok.com/@salarytransparentstreet
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I have a job now I been working since March but I’m thinking about quitting it since it’s summer. I’m 24 years old and I wanna enjoy my life. My dad pays all of my bills. Working is a waste of time because you won’t be able to enjoy your life. Overal is it just me or is working a waste in the summer? I live with my parents and they support me.

It's fair to take a break, but it's definitely worth saving up - think of it as an investment for your future. It's kind that your dad is paying bills for you, but it kinda feels like you've passed your problems to him and that's not really fair on him. Work can be really dead and boring but it's not worth quitting your job for summer, just take leave and continue later.
Reply 3

Wow I wish my dad would pay my bills when I was 24. You are very fortunate to be in this position.
Theres so many scenarios and ways of looking at things.
a) you could get bored over the summer
b) life tastes so much sweeter when you have earnt it yourself and not bagging off dad, so could be worth keep working.
c) if quit is for the long term and its this summer and beyond, dads not going to be around to support you forever, so when you do look for work, your work history was years ago and become unemployable.
d) if its only for the summer and its a job thats not an actual career, then yeah go for it.
e) you need to make plans what you are going to do in the summer so you dont waste it,
f) you have to make sure you have plans to get work after the summer is over.
Reply 4
It’s quite wholesome to have some financial independence and to save even if your parents are pay your way. This said I would agree with having some summer relaxation and not spending a lot of time a job you loath. Maybe there’s a compromise

Id still have your job (even if you just do less hours). Your parents may pay your bills, but a job is about more than the money (although that will be useful). Its also about the skills, experience and reference you will also be gaining which will be useful for any future job.
And your parents wont be paying for you forever.

Welcome to the adult world, where you don't get to enjoy life.

I think you need to change your attitude a bit about this - just because your dad pays everything for you doesn't mean you can take advantage of him this way. But I have my morals and principles about this.
As the above poster said, your dad won't pay for everything for you forever.
What happens if he suddenly says 'Sorry, can't pay for you anymore - you need to stand on your own 2 feet'?
If you don't continue working, it will be difficult for you to get a job in the future as employers will question what you have done work-wise when they ask you why have gaps in your employment.
Are you serious? Is this some kind of a troll thread? You're not a little kid anymore. You're 24 years old and an adult. We all have to live and work hard as that is part of adult life and the fact that you feel that it's okay for your parents to pay everything for you is even more worrying. If you don't like your job then it would be better to change to something else. Also, if you want to enjoy your summer that's why you have holidays. You can take 2 or 3 weeks off in the summer. I know some people in my company decided to take an entire month off in July. This sort of attitude isn't great. Being 24 and expecting your parents to pay for the bills. No. No thanks. If you live with them it's fine, but at least have a job and contribute.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending