The Student Room Group

how to revise for science?

Like remembering the formulas, simple diagrams etc?
for physics, chemistry and biology
Original post by jemima.molyneux
Like remembering the formulas, simple diagrams etc?
for physics, chemistry and biology

Hello there,

I studied Chemistry biology and physics during A-levels, and used the same study method for all three sciences.

I usually tend to read the entire textbook supplied by the 6th form or college, whilst trying to understand every concept to about a 60%- 70% level. Usually it would take me about a week to do this, as I would read the textbook more than once if necessary. It's important to note that I also answer most questions in the textbook too, as it will help speed up the remembering and learning process.

After doing this , I would do all the past papers one by one while checking and reading through the mark scheme after each paper, marking myself according to the grade boundaries set for that paper. The most important part of this revision process is to read and understand the mark schemes entirely. This will help you in how to write your answers out in the real exam.

After doing this, I would read through the textbook a final time to finalise my revision.

By this stage, I'm usually ready for the exam.

Hope this helps :smile:

EDIT: I am not telling you to do no work up until your exam. I am saying this is how I finalise my preparation. Doing homework and keep up with class work is ideal.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
Hello there,

I studied Chemistry biology and physics during A-levels, and used the same study method for all three sciences.

I usually tend to read the entire textbook supplied by the 6th form or college, whilst trying to understand every concept to about a 60%- 70% level. Usually it would take me about a week to do this, as I would read the textbook more than once if necessary. It's important to note that I also answer most questions in the textbook too, as it will help speed up the remembering and learning process.

After doing this , I would do all the past papers one by one while checking and reading through the mark scheme after each paper, marking myself according to the grade boundaries set for that paper. The most important part of this revision process is to read and understand the mark schemes entirely. This will help you in how to write your answers out in the real exam.

After doing this, I would read through the textbook a final time to finalise my revision.

By this stage, I'm usually ready for the exam.

Hope this helps :smile:

Let me get this straight... it takes you a week to read all your A-level text books? O_O Boy it took me a month to read my chemistry one, then gave up half way through
Original post by R Dragon
Let me get this straight... it takes you a week to read all your A-level text books? O_O Boy it took me a month to read my chemistry one, then gave up half way through

It sounds crazy, but a lot of people think I have photographic memory because of this ahaha.
It sounds crazy, but a lot of people think I have photographic memory because of this ahaha.

forget photographic memory, how fast do you read? Are you like naturally talented at reading?

My reading pace wouldn't even begin to compare...
forget photographic memory, how fast do you read? Are you like naturally talented at reading?

My reading pace wouldn't even begin to compare...

I read really fast, and I understand and take the information in fast too.

During my GCSE's, I had no knowledge or understanding of GCSE biology up until my major exams. 2 weeks before my exams, I got a U in a mock exam. My teacher was worried as I was predicted an A*

Over the weekend before the real exam, I read the entire GCSE biology textbook, and did all the past papers. I achieved an A* in Biology. Did the same for Chemistry and physics, achieving an A* and an A respectively.

For A-levels, I used the exact same approach to studying, but it took me more time to reach a higher level of understanding, high enough to get A grades.

I'm not trying to brag or anything, just thought I'd share my story as you seem rather fascinated :P
I read really fast, and I understand and take the information in fast too.

During my GCSE's, I had no knowledge or understanding of GCSE biology up until my major exams. 2 weeks before my exams, I got a U in a mock exam. My teacher was worried as I was predicted an A*

Over the weekend before the real exam, I read the entire GCSE biology textbook, and did all the past papers. I achieved an A* in Biology. Did the same for Chemistry and physics, achieving an A* and an A respectively.

For A-levels, I used the exact same approach to studying, but it took me more time to reach a higher level of understanding, high enough to get A grades.

I'm not trying to brag or anything, just thought I'd share my story as you seem rather fascinated :P

I'm incredibly fascinated indeed. Any tips on how to improve my reading speed? >.> I'm also very jealous haha xD
I'm incredibly fascinated indeed. Any tips on how to improve my reading speed? >.> I'm also very jealous haha xD

I spend a lot of time on the computer. I guess that is where I have learnt to read really fast. I also type a lot on PC. Surprisingly, I don't read books or newspapers or magazines etc at all, other than textbooks.

I spend A LOT of time playing video games. During year 1 of dentistry at uni I had racked up 104 days game played time on video games. That's just under 2500 hours of me actually playing video games.

I rarely study, only when exam time approaches. During the year, I do nothing associated with studies.
Reply 8
Forget what everyone here has said and go on brainscape.com

passive learning does NOTHING. You need to a) visualise the material and why things are the way they are and b) ask yourself questions.. constantly.. "What is epigenetics, what are some examples, why do DNA methylation cause changes in gene expressoin?".
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Cinnie
Forget what everyone here has said and go on brainscape.com

passive learning does NOTHING. You need to a) visualise the material and why things are the way they are and b) ask yourself questions.. constantly.. "What is epigenetics, what are some examples, why do DNA methylation cause changes in gene expressoin?".

It's a bit offensive to say forget what everyone else has said. Different people have different ways of revising. My method works for me, I'm only sharing my experience. It may not work for the OP though.

:smile:
Reply 10
It's a bit offensive to say forget what everyone else has said. Different people have different ways of revising. My method works for me, I'm only sharing my experience. It may not work for the OP though.

:smile:

Your method of not revising right until the last minute? Yeah sound advice that. Good luck at uni...
Original post by Cinnie
Your method of not revising right until the last minute? Yeah sound advice that. Good luck at uni...

I'm sorry, it seems I was unclear in my explanation.

I didn't mean to tell the op to revise last minute. I said this is what I do, in addition to school work. So nearer to exam time, I finalise all my knowledge with the method I explained.

I did the same thing in year 1 uni dentistry, and excelled.

You could be a bit less negative and more friendly, it's not really that helpful being negative, and being dismissive isn't either, especially when I am trying to suggest a valid way to revise. :frown:

Sorry again for any confusion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending