The Student Room Group

White Middle-aged gay man goes to Muslim country to be gay- gets arrested - Hello!!

Scroll to see replies

Every country has the right to set its own laws.

If for instance someone in Britain wants to set up a business and then refuse to serve gay customers they are breaking the law and will be punished. But there seems to be a lot of whining and wailing when that happens about how unfair it is that they are punished.

Tough. If you want to be homophobic there are plenty of other countries in the world where you can do it, why not move there? If you want to own a bed and breakfast that doesn't cater for gays then set it up in Saudi Arabia or Yemen?
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
Well what's the lesson here? Surely it's don't turn a blind eye to Europe slowly turning into one of these Islamic hellholes.

Exactly there should be more legislation to prevent discrimination on gender, sexuality or racial grounds, to make sure we are as inhospitable as possible for those types of discriminatory ideology.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Every country has the right to set its own laws.

If for instance someone in Britain wants to set up a business and then refuse to serve gay customers they are breaking the law and will be punished. But there seems to be a lot of whining and wailing when that happens about how unfair it is that they are punished.

Tough. If you want to be homophobic there are plenty of other countries in the world where you can do it, why not move there? If you want to own a bed and breakfast that doesn't cater for gays then set it up in Saudi Arabia or Yemen?

If those laws violate accepted universal human rights, that sovereignty is lost.

Original post by gt459
I'm hoping this is sarcasm, as sarcasm this is funny :smile:

I never joke about my work 007.
Reply 23
Original post by Eboracum
If those laws violate accepted universal human rights, that sovereignty is lost.

I never joke about my work 007.

Does that apply if the country in question hasn't accepted said human rights?

Not overly familiar with the international rules :smile:
Reply 24
Gotta say I feel sorry for the bloke for his ordeal but what a fool, why would he travel to Morocco for this? I think he was going for some kind of sex tourism which again I cannot judge him for, but he picked the wrong country and should've known the strict laws of the place before he went. Just a fool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
he went to a backwards, primitive, barbaric, oppressive muslim country. what does he expect ?

i hope he returns safely
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
So the whole of TSR goes crazy when you victim blame about rape... but when it comes to being a homosexual in a muslim country then the victim is obviously to blame and we should respect the laws of the land that is homophobic.

Good to know TSR has a strong moral compass!

It's nothing to do with morality, it's to do with stupidity. If you go to another country where certain activities that you plan to engage in are illegal, then you're a fool if you expect to get away with it.

It's completely outside of whether it's right or wrong.
So the whole of TSR goes crazy when you victim blame about rape... but when it comes to being a homosexual in a muslim country then the victim is obviously to blame and we should respect the laws of the land that is homophobic.

This.

I think a lot of people are missing the point; there are, or rather there should be, universal standards of how all humans deserve to be treated. If someone is treated in a way that doesn't satisfy this criteria then no portion of the blame should be served to the individual concerned, but all should be attributed to the offending legislature/country.
(edited 9 years ago)

Exactly. It's really sad. The left seems to defend homophobia and anti-antisemitism these days.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
It's nothing to do with morality, it's to do with stupidity. If you go to another country where certain activities that you plan to engage in are illegal, then you're a fool if you expect to get away with it.

It's completely outside of whether it's right or wrong.

So has blaming the victim now become right-on as long as the subject is a victim of Islam?
Original post by KingBradly
So has blaming the victim now become right-on as long as the subject is a victim of Islam?

Not at all, what exactly is he a victim of? Breaking the law?
Original post by Law-Hopeful
This.

I think a lot of people are missing the point; there are, or rather there should be, universal standards of how all humans deserve to be treated. If someone is treated in a way that doesn't satisfy this criteria then no portion of the blame should be served to the individual concerned, but all should be attributed to the offending legislature/country.

And who should decide on the international standards? The Western nations I presume?
Reply 32
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
And who should decide on the international standards? The Western nations I presume?

Pretty sure it was decided on by the United Nations - which includes countries other than just the west.

Could not agree with this more.

I don't know the entire story but I believe he was arrested at a bus stop for being suspected of having homosexual images on his phone, which turned out to be true; he was also on holiday, not living there. It's not like he was there was PDA with another man.
Original post by gt459
Does that apply if the country in question hasn't accepted said human rights?

Not overly familiar with the international rules :smile:

Human rights are non-negotiable. It's unacceptable not to conform with the expected world standard based on either backward religions or because it could harm an authoritarian government's grasp on power. Doesn't matter what the government in question thinks, they can be overthrown by awesome military power should it come to that.
Reply 35
Original post by Madd Taurusette
Is that a trick sentence. :s-smilie: Like if I even remotely disagree: "AHA! Homophobe!"

If I don't disagree: "AHA! Liberal!"

:rolleyes:

You, ma'am, are homophobe x

Posted from TSR Mobile

western standards are enlightened. The west is a beacon of civlisation.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gt459
Pretty sure it was decided on by the United Nations - which includes countries other than just the west.

But the West undoubtedly have the most power in the united nations.

The international human rights movement.

Original post by Eboracum
Human rights are non-negotiable. It's unacceptable not to conform with the expected world standard based on either backward religions or because it could harm an authoritarian government's grasp on power. Doesn't matter what the government in question thinks, they can be overthrown by awesome military power should it come to that.

I suspect this was meant to be sarcastic but I agree nonetheless.
Original post by Law-Hopeful

I suspect this was meant to be sarcastic but I agree nonetheless.

Wasn't meant to be sarcastic. I meant every word. Thanks anyway, and good luck with your law studies. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending