The Student Room Group

extra extra time in exams?

hi, i have rheumatoid arthritis in my hands/ wrists which makes it difficult for me to write for prolonged periods of time (e.g i have to stop writing for 5-10 minutes after, say, an A4 page). As my exams are almost always essay based and several hours long, i have been awarded the standard 25% extra time to help me complete previous exams both in college and university.

however, as my disease has progressed i now often experience flare ups during which i can barely hold a pen without experiencing pain. i am worried that such a flare up may coincide with exam dates. typing on a computer is equally painful, and i dont know whether i would be able to perform effectively if i had a scribe to write down my answers - im worried it would put me off?

does anyone know of any other solutions? i cant be the only student who suffers with RA and struggles to write. is extra EXTRA time a possible solution? e.g. something like 40%, or rest breaks?
Some people do get rest breaks in the exam and that would seem to be the most acceptable for you. I think the most amount of extra time that they give is 25% you won't be able to get more than that.

Definitely try and get the rest breaks :smile:

Good luck! :biggrin:
You are already getting the maximum extra time possible.

The only solution is an amenuensis with you in exams.
You may get a scribe.

I don't know if you could use a computer with voice to text software?
i think using voice to text software would be your best option, otherwise a scribe. I m afraid 25 per cent is the standard amount of extra time, you can be assessed for 50 but that's barely ever given out.
Rest breaks are a definite allowance you d be able to get.
Reply 5
You can, in rare cases, get up to 100% extra time recommended. But actually being able to administer this is very difficult. Would you like to sit a 3 hour exam over 6 hours? I would imagine that supporting you with voice recognition software (Dragon) or a scribe would be better.
Reply 6
Original post by balotelli12
You are already getting the maximum extra time possible.

The only solution is an amenuensis with you in exams.

Or voice recognition.

Or perhaps even a change of assessment method from exam to something like essays, although this is very hard to get as it's rarely agreed to (I was given it in my undergrad degree, though my medical conditions and needs were different to the OP's). I think the OP would have a better chance getting 50 percent+ extra time.
I have a condition that causes me a lot of pain in my hands at times and I am allowed as many rest breaks in an exam for as long as I like, so if I'm in a lot of pain I can get up and walk round/stretch/rest for a bit and the exam time clock is stopped for the rest time and then restarted when I go back to the desk to carry on writing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spyro93
hi, i have rheumatoid arthritis in my hands/ wrists which makes it difficult for me to write for prolonged periods of time (e.g i have to stop writing for 5-10 minutes after, say, an A4 page). As my exams are almost always essay based and several hours long, i have been awarded the standard 25% extra time to help me complete previous exams both in college and university.

however, as my disease has progressed i now often experience flare ups during which i can barely hold a pen without experiencing pain. i am worried that such a flare up may coincide with exam dates. typing on a computer is equally painful, and i dont know whether i would be able to perform effectively if i had a scribe to write down my answers - im worried it would put me off?

does anyone know of any other solutions? i cant be the only student who suffers with RA and struggles to write. is extra EXTRA time a possible solution? e.g. something like 40%, or rest breaks?

I am allocated with Rest Breaks.. scribe too. if you feel uncomfortable how about using computers.
Reply 9
During my disability assessment I requested 3-day take home exams in place of normal exams and provided medical evidence explaining the reason for this- I ended up taking leave but I think this would have helped had I been able to continue-worth a try?
Reply 10
Original post by Spyro93

You can get 45% xtra time for those circustances to allow for rests. I would advise a scribe tho. I use 1 and it is much easier. I thought it would be hard but its not. The key is to practice a bit. Get a past paper and have your mum or a mate scribe for you a few times then use a proper scribe in tests and mocks before real exams.it is easier than you you think if you have had a little practice beforehand. Took me a few past paper but i got hang of it pretty soon. They take a few marks off for spag for having a scribe tho, depends how much input you give, eg if you say where to use capital and do full stops ect. Im crap at all that so loose a lot of marks but im autistic and dyslexic and my processing speed is slow so a scribe has been helpfull for my AS levels.
Reply 11
The key thing is that these are only recommendations. If the uni feels providing 100% extra time, take home exams over 3 days, etc. are 'unreasonable' and feel they can justify this, then they can refuse the recommendation. Each uni will have it's own policy on exam concessions.
have you considered requesting if your university will allow you to use a speech to text software like dragon for your exam? i have dyspraxia and can have up to a 30 minute rest break if i want to take it for my exam as i get pain or discomfort from typing for too long so would presume at least having a rest break would be a reasonable request for you
Are you at university?
All throughout school I've been given 100% extra time. The university have also agreed the same for me entering this year.

I think though for you perhaps requesting extra time and rest breaks would be benefitial. You could also try practising with a scribe to see if this is something that could work for you too.

Do you receive DSA?
You can get more extra time then 25% i currently get 50% time, laptop and a reader you just got to ask

Latest