The Student Room Group

AS exam, not being allowed to have an extra answer sheet.

I am answering this May AS exam and did pure maths yesterday. I ran out of space in exam paper booklet and asked for extra answer sheet. There was still half an hour left of the exam time. The centre did not give me saying Cambridge won't check my paper and so I could not answer the rest of my exam nicely, probably scoring so much lower. What can I do? I was predicted an A* and A but now most probably will be stuck with a B...
Reply 1
This is likely illegal and I'd probably see if I could report it somehow.
Reply 2
What the actual hell! That's malpractice fr! Take it up with the head of centre or the exams officer who will be able to signpost you.
Moreover, what they said is utter nonsense, as Cambridge themselves say to accommodate it.

Edit: Oh wait, did you mean Cambridge won't check the entire exam paper...so it's an internal exam? Even still, I'd say follow the procedures.
Edit 2: *procedures for reporting malpractice, that is
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Diana-Rose
What the actual hell! That's malpractice fr! Take it up with the head of centre or the exams officer who will be able to signpost you.
Moreover, what they said is utter nonsense, as Cambridge themselves say to accommodate it.

Edit: Oh wait, did you mean Cambridge won't check the entire exam paper...so it's an internal exam? Even still, I'd say follow the procedures.
Edit 2: *procedures for reporting malpractice, that is

No, it is the Cambridge exam. The AS exam has started for May. The chief invigilator denied me to have the extra paper and her claim was even if I wrote in the extra answer sheet, Cambridge will not check that extra answer sheet... That caused me a grade because I had no space to finish my exam anymore even though I had time.
Reply 4
I did file a complaint to Cambridge. But I don't think I can get anything done... I am just one candidate from like a hundred. But still, even if it was just one candidate that needed an extra sheet why was I denied...

Original post by Jeparlepas
This is likely illegal and I'd probably see if I could report it somehow.
Reply 5
Original post by myatLayNwee
No, it is the Cambridge exam. The AS exam has started for May. The chief invigilator denied me to have the extra paper and her claim was even if I wrote in the extra answer sheet, Cambridge will not check that extra answer sheet... That caused me a grade because I had no space to finish my exam anymore even though I had time.

Ah, I see. As I said earlier, their claim is baseless and completely false, according to Cambridge Assessment International Education themselves. A CHIEF invigilator should know better.
Original post by myatLayNwee
I did file a complaint to Cambridge. But I don't think I can get anything done... I am just one candidate from like a hundred. But still, even if it was just one candidate that needed an extra sheet why was I denied...

Good on you for filing that complaint. By complaint, do you mean reporting the malpractice/maladministration? Since invigilators are hired and often trained by centres; not dispatched by Cambridge. Thus, an actual complaint would be futile.
Please do speak to the head of centre as reporting malpractice is mostly in their hands. If you're a student at that centre, raise your concern with any member of staff you have a rapport with and get them to advocate for you (my exams officer is quite, nice so that has worked in my favour). They should take this seriously even if you are just a single person due to its implications on your grades. Don't give up hope! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest