The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine and Pharmacy? Risky? Plus Low UKCAT!

Hi guys, I'm kinda new in tsr and I have a huge dilemma. I basically really want to study medicine but somehow I let my self down in my UKCAT score-625 don't ask about it :frown: I have no idea how that happened. So I decided applying to-
Imperial-Medcine
UCL-Medcine
Bart-Medicine
Kings-Pharmacy
UCL-Pharmcay
I have 5A's in my AS Levels (Eng,Bio,Chem,Phy and Maths)
I am predicted 4A* at A Levels (Bio,Chem,Phy and Maths)
So is it a bit risky to apply to Barts guys? And is it really risky applying to UCL for Pharmacy and Medicine that it could lead to two rejections?
Thanks for helping me!:eek3:
Honestly I think your grades make up for your UKCAT score :smile: From your grades you can obviously tell you are very intelligent.
However I think it' a really bad idea to apply to do medicine and pharmacy at UCL because it'll show them that you're not committed to either degree as they are both mainstream vocational degrees. I went to a talk by the admissions team from Nottingham University and someone asked whether they would be able to apply to do medicine and pharmacy at the university and was told the exact same thing. But they did say applying to do biochemistry is okay because it's not a vocational course and is suitable :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by TahsinHassan
Honestly I think your grades make up for your UKCAT score :smile: From your grades you can obviously tell you are very intelligent.
However I think it' a really bad idea to apply to do medicine and pharmacy at UCL because it'll show them that you're not committed to either degree as they are both mainstream vocational degrees. I went to a talk by the admissions team from Nottingham University and someone asked whether they would be able to apply to do medicine and pharmacy at the university and was told the exact same thing. But they did say applying to do biochemistry is okay because it's not a vocational course and is suitable :smile:

You really think so thanks. Well I have no idea what on earth happened at UKCAT :frown: I really hope BMAT scores are really high for UCL :biggrin: okay so basically I really should scrap the idea of applying to these two courses at the same university, which could lead to two rejections?
You're welcome :smile: And I mean it could happen to anyone, it was probably just the nerves. :frown:
And yes I would definitely advise not applying to two different courses at the same university as it may lead to two rejections :smile: x
Reply 4
Original post by TahsinHassan
You're welcome :smile: And I mean it could happen to anyone, it was probably just the nerves. :frown:
And yes I would definitely advise not applying to two different courses at the same university as it may lead to two rejections :smile: x

Thanks a lot....applying to medicine as well by the way? xD
I'm currently in year 12 and am hoping to apply to study medicine next year depending on my AS Level grades and my UKCAT.
*fingers crossed* :smile:
If you meet the requirements for GCSE at Birmingham go for that because you have really strong AS results.

Go for Barts like you said, St Georges too as they have lowish UKCAT requirements and be wary of two BMAT unis - only do it if you know you will do well and use the UKCAT experience to reflect on choosing two BMAT unis.

Hope that this helps :smile:
Reply 7
I did IGCSE actually. Got 7A* 1A and a C in hindi :biggrin: with percentage uniformity marks
Bio-97, chem-96, phy-97, maths-96, eco-96, bs-94, ict-92, eng-82, hindi-62
Reply 8
Original post by neverstop
If you meet the requirements for GCSE at Birmingham go for that because you have really strong AS results.

Go for Barts like you said, St Georges too as they have lowish UKCAT requirements and be wary of two BMAT unis - only do it if you know you will do well and use the UKCAT experience to reflect on choosing two BMAT unis.

Hope that this helps :smile:

Are you sure about St Georges since I heard its like 680? the cutoff?
Reply 9
And is it easy to get in UCL or Imperial btw? With such results and an unpredictable BMAT plus I heard imperial uses UKCAT as well :s-smilie: so idk. Kinda confused and I did hear that applying to two BMAT universities is kinda risky...is that true?
Original post by Shaily_x
And is it easy to get in UCL or Imperial btw? With such results and an unpredictable BMAT plus I heard imperial uses UKCAT as well :s-smilie: so idk. Kinda confused and I did hear that applying to two BMAT universities is kinda risky...is that true?

Imperial does not use UKCAT - they have cut-offs for each section. For St Georges, last year cut off was 640 so you should be alright.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending