The Student Room Group

Scared GCSE's will affect my uni

I haven't started uni yet, will start on 2025 however I'm scared that my GCSEs will hold me back from going to my wanted unis.

Every once in a while I come across that one post on tsr where its a person who wants to brag about their GCSE grades, most of them looking like this:
'I got 9999999899 in my GCSEs. Is this too low to get into XXX?'

While it's obvious they'll obviously get into any uni with those GCSEs (+good a lvl grades too), i always see that one person saying it's not good enough or it isn't what the uni would take.

I want to either apply to dentistry or pharmacy next year ( I was leaning towards pharmacy till i saw people saying how it was a dead course and there's barely any jobs) - I will be choosing only one course tho once application process start next year depending on my predicteds
The unis i want to go to are either UCL or KCL.

My GCSE grades are as follows:
Maths - 6
Science - 76
Eng lit - 5
Eng lang 8
RE - 7
History - 8
Food tech - 5
Spanish 6

I know they're super s**t, but im scared they're going to ruin my chances of going to a good uni (well, the unis I wanna go to).

Will it ruin my chances of going to my dream unis even if i get the entry requirement A LEVEL grades?
Or will i have to get higher grades?
Dental-school-entry-requirements-2022.pdf (dentalschoolscouncil.ac.uk)

I literally got the same thing in year 12 as Well i wanna go into medicine however im not gonna say their **** it meets the minimum requirements some people have a 5 in maths/ eng lang and 9s everywhere else and are struggling some people have worse grades ik some one with lower grade than me thats in med school rn all im saying is stop comparing your grades when it comes to dentistry it literally doesnt matter what school if you dont meet the gcses thou you cant apply and realistically with those grades you need pick strategically make sure ur competitive everywhere else with ucat and Alevels u can always think what if but that didnt happen this is what you have look at making yourself competitive if you meet wp look for progammes that lower ucat requirements and alevels or guarantee u an interview be proactive email schools amd ask if u meet the requirements check websites some schools say they Need 6s but they rank gcses
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by lemonsaremine
I haven't started uni yet, will start on 2025 however I'm scared that my GCSEs will hold me back from going to my wanted unis.

Every once in a while I come across that one post on tsr where its a person who wants to brag about their GCSE grades, most of them looking like this:

While it's obvious they'll obviously get into any uni with those GCSEs (+good a lvl grades too), i always see that one person saying it's not good enough or it isn't what the uni would take.

I want to either apply to dentistry or pharmacy next year ( I was leaning towards pharmacy till i saw people saying how it was a dead course and there's barely any jobs) - I will be choosing only one course tho once application process start next year depending on my predicteds

Maths - 6
Science - 76
Eng lit - 5
Eng lang 8
RE - 7
History - 8
Food tech - 5
Spanish 6

I know they're super s**t, but im scared they're going to ruin my chances of going to a good uni (well, the unis I wanna go to).

Will it ruin my chances of going to my dream unis even if i get the entry requirement A LEVEL grades?

You need to start looking at the entry requirements section for courses and unis that you are interested in. UCL doesn't offer undergraduate dentistry. KCL requires maths and English language GCSEs at grade 6 so you would meet that requirement.

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/dentistry-bds

Then start reading through some of the threads on the dentistry forum to work out where you would be best applying to:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194
(edited 5 months ago)
Please dont believe some of the stuff posted here. Your GCSEs are not s**t. They are very good. They will certainly get you into most courses at most universities including Pharmacy. Whether they will get you into Dentistry I dont know. There are very few dentistry courses and they tend to be massively over sub scribed. Your best course of action over dentistry is to act as already advised.

Just a warning that getting into top London universities is very difficult as the numbers there massively exceed the number of places. This is not helped by the number of overseas students they take. UCL and LSE both have over 1/2 their students from abroad and because of the numbers applying there many are rejected. Have a look elsewhere as well as London to increase your chances of getting offers
Reply 4

Maths - 6
Science - 76
Eng lit - 5
Eng lang 8
RE - 7
History - 8
Food tech - 5
Spanish 6

your GCSEs should be fine, some dental schools don't look at gcses in depth. the most important thing when applying is your ucat score ( I noticed that the unis that don't care about gcses ask for a high ucat) and your a level predictions
Depends on the school plymouth is a decent School if you get a average ucat score also very good for contextual students

You could also do Foundation year into dentistry so 6 years instead of 5 at kcl wouldnt recommend the 5 yr course they score gcses out of 40 and its unlikely with ur grades youd get 1 same for me lol so wouldnt apply their unless doing a Foundation year for dentistry/ medicine
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
Please dont believe some of the stuff posted here. Your GCSEs are not s**t. They are very good. They will certainly get you into most courses at most universities including Pharmacy. Whether they will get you into Dentistry I dont know. There are very few dentistry courses and they tend to be massively over sub scribed. Your best course of action over dentistry is to act as already advised.

Just a warning that getting into top London universities is very difficult as the numbers there massively exceed the number of places. This is not helped by the number of overseas students they take. UCL and LSE both have over 1/2 their students from abroad and because of the numbers applying there many are rejected. Have a look elsewhere as well as London to increase your chances of getting offers

I know that i meet the requirements for both dentistry and pharmacy in KCL and UCL but I'm also going to apply to some not so top unis just incase things go wronf
Reply 7
Original post by lilysilly_5454
Depends on the school plymouth is a decent School if you get a average ucat score also very good for contextual students

You could also do Foundation year into dentistry so 6 years instead of 5 at kcl wouldnt recommend the 5 yr course they score gcses out of 40 and its unlikely with ur grades youd get 1 same for me lol so wouldnt apply their unless doing a Foundation year for dentistry/ medicine

I'm definitely applying foundation course in manchester and kcl 😭
I'm at UCL (different department) and you have better GCSEs than me. /thread
(edited 5 months ago)
I'm definitely applying foundation course in manchester and kcl 😭

Lol I was thinking the same for kcl may do their emdp

Maths - 6
Science - 76
Eng lit - 5
Eng lang 8
RE - 7
History - 8
Food tech - 5
Spanish 6

Your GCSE grades are great and there are a range of University courses you can apply to! I advise you to look at university prospectuses and for courses you're interested in, looking at the entry requirements. If you don't meet the grades, it's worth contacting the university and asking for advice. The main thing unis look for are your A-Level grades and personal statement so if you smash them, you'll be fine!
Original post by artful_lounger
I'm at UCL (different department) and you have better GCSEs than me. /thread

That makes me feel better tysm 😭
Original post by SOAS Student Rep

Maths - 6
Science - 76
Eng lit - 5
Eng lang 8
RE - 7
History - 8
Food tech - 5
Spanish 6

Your GCSE grades are great and there are a range of University courses you can apply to! I advise you to look at university prospectuses and for courses you're interested in, looking at the entry requirements. If you don't meet the grades, it's worth contacting the university and asking for advice. The main thing unis look for are your A-Level grades and personal statement so if you smash them, you'll be fine!

That's good to know, me personally i wanna attend unis within london which ik many dont do dentistry but still
Reply 13

Maths - 6
Science - 76
Eng lit - 5
Eng lang 8
RE - 7
History - 8
Food tech - 5
Spanish 6

Honestly don't worry about it, your grades are fine. Unis don't really care that much about gcses anyway, they focus on a-levels. I got mostly 5s in my gcses and I currently have three offers from good unis.
Reply 14
Ive got two 8s one 7 three 6s and five 5 and want to do dentistry at uni of leeds 2025 do u think its alright
Original post by Mohamef
Ive got two 8s one 7 three 6s and five 5 and want to do dentistry at uni of leeds 2025 do u think its alright

You need to make a competitive application going for ur strengths and based on gcses u would be able to apply however it does seem like leeds ranks gcses so i would not recommend it 27 points in total 9/8-3 7-2 6-1 below-0 top 9 scored
However there are foundation programmes + access to leeds so check if eligible
use this for a more informed decision DSC-Entry-Requirements-entry-2024.pdf (dentalschoolscouncil.ac.uk) Also sciences maths and english lang need to at least be at great 6 to make a decent application for dentistry
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 16
You need to make a competitive application going for ur strengths and based on gcses u would be able to apply however it does seem like leeds ranks gcses so i would not recommend it 27 points in total 9/8-3 7-2 6-1 below-0 top 9 scored
However there are foundation programmes + access to leeds so check if eligible
use this for a more informed decision DSC-Entry-Requirements-entry-2024.pdf (dentalschoolscouncil.ac.uk) Also sciences maths and english lang need to at least be at great 6 to make a decent application for dentistry

I got 6 in my math 76 science and 6 eng lang
Original post by Mohamef
I got 6 in my math 76 science and 6 eng lang

Ok Go through that document and look at schools u meet requirements for then Cross check with other website as some schools rank gcses SUCh as leeds and the check if ur eligible for contextual offers/able to apply to Foundation years they have specific requirements for different schools check kings one and plymouths its an extra year but worth if its your dream Career
Reply 18
Ok Go through that document and look at schools u meet requirements for then Cross check with other website as some schools rank gcses SUCh as leeds and the check if ur eligible for contextual offers/able to apply to Foundation years they have specific requirements for different schools check kings one and plymouths its an extra year but worth if its your dream Career

Thank you so much
Original post by Mohamef
Thank you so much

Its no problem im in a similar situation but for medicine so Ik its stressful thinking ur grades arent upto par

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending