The Student Room Group

Biochemistry Applicants 2015 Entry!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bethanyyyy
They sent me an email acknowledging my application but that's it.

I heard they take ages to reply!
Have you got any offers? :smile:
Original post by BethFirmin
Hi, person with the same name as me. :tongue: We also have three university choices in common! I think the Biochemistry course at York looks amazing. I haven't been invited to a departmental open day at Bath but I'm hoping they'll invite me at some point. I really like the department and course at Sheffield as well and I'm pretty sure it has a really good reputation. :smile:

Well I submitted my UCAS quite a while ago (think it was October 3rd that school submitted it) and I only got an email about the open day yesterday so you'll probably get invited to one at some point.
The Sheffield Biochemistry building is so pretty! (I'm totally not basing my uni choices on aesthetics here...)
Original post by maxwynne
I heard they take ages to reply!
Have you got any offers? :smile:

Yeah, my Maths teacher said sometimes they don't reply til March! I don't know if she was talking about Maths though...
I have an offer from Bath and Sheffield have promised me one after I turn up to their open day :smile:
Well I submitted my UCAS quite a while ago (think it was October 3rd that school submitted it) and I only got an email about the open day yesterday so you'll probably get invited to one at some point.
The Sheffield Biochemistry building is so pretty! (I'm totally not basing my uni choices on aesthetics here...)

Oh, that's understandable. Mine was submitted on the 10th. :smile: Haha, it really is. Which Biochemistry course did you choose at Sheffield?
Original post by BethFirmin
Oh, that's understandable. Mine was submitted on the 10th. :smile: Haha, it really is. Which Biochemistry course did you choose at Sheffield?

The 4 year Biochemistry course (cant remember the course code). From what they said at the open day its pretty flexible though and the course title you end up with on your degree certificate just depends on what modules you take, so I could end up with a degree in Genetics or Microbiology, seeing as I dont really know exactly where my interests lie (which is partly why I like the Cambridge Natural sciences course)...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Hey! I've applied for Oxford (Hertford), Bristol, Bath, Sheffield and Cardiff. Im a bit of a worrier to put Cardiff just in case I get ill or something bad happens and everything goes badly and then I'll have a lower grade choice close to home.... my logic! I got the same Bath offer as you all too. Also, I have a guaranteed offer from Bristol but the admissions team haven't started going through applications yet so i haven't formally been given it so don't worry guys :P

If anyone is interetsed; 10A*s and 1A at GCSE & AAAA (Maths, Biology, Chemistry, History(now dropped)) at AS. A*A*A prediction... god help me!
The 4 year Biochemistry course (cant remember the course code). From what they said at the open day its pretty flexible though and the course title you end up with on your degree certificate just depends on what modules you take, so I could end up with a degree in Genetics or Microbiology, seeing as I dont really know exactly where my interests lie (which is partly why I like the Cambridge Natural sciences course)...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really like the flexibility of the Biochemistry courses at Sheffield. I chose the four year Biochemistry and Genetics course. It seems like there are some really interesting modules to choose from. :smile:
Original post by Abi790
Hey! I've applied for Oxford (Hertford), Bristol, Bath, Sheffield and Cardiff. Im a bit of a worrier to put Cardiff just in case I get ill or something bad happens and everything goes badly and then I'll have a lower grade choice close to home.... my logic! I got the same Bath offer as you all too. Also, I have a guaranteed offer from Bristol but the admissions team haven't started going through applications yet so i haven't formally been given it so don't worry guys :P

If anyone is interetsed; 10A*s and 1A at GCSE & AAAA (Maths, Biology, Chemistry, History(now dropped)) at AS. A*A*A prediction... god help me!

How do you know you have a guaranteed offer? Do they just give them out to everyone with the required predicted grades?

I forgot to post my grades earlier so if anyone's interested I got As in biology and chemistry at AS and an A* in maths which I took early because of further maths. I'm predicted 4 A*s in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology at A2 (I already have the A* in Maths but my school decided to predict me a grade for it anyway for some reason)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
How do you know you have a guaranteed offer? Do they just give them out to everyone with the required predicted grades?

I forgot to post my grades earlier so if anyone's interested I got As in biology and chemistry at AS and an A* in maths which I took early because of further maths. I'm predicted 4 A*s in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology at A2 (I already have the A* in Maths but my school decided to predict me a grade for it anyway for some reason)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I live just across the Welsh boarder, but close enough to Bristol to apply to their Access scheme. I had to go there every Wednesday afternoon for the spring term last year, and rotated around workshops to do with Biomedical science. Completing that gave me a guaranteed offer, but I also go to a school on the contextual offers list so i should get a deuced offer too. Fingers crossed!
Original post by Abi790
I live just across the Welsh boarder, but close enough to Bristol to apply to their Access scheme. I had to go there every Wednesday afternoon for the spring term last year, and rotated around workshops to do with Biomedical science. Completing that gave me a guaranteed offer, but I also go to a school on the contextual offers list so i should get a deuced offer too. Fingers crossed!

Ah that's cool, is it your second choice after Oxford then? I liked Bristol when I went there but I saw on bbc news website that this year they made 200 students share single rooms because their accommodation was oversubscribed. They all got free food and reduced rent but still, I would hate to share a room at uni - especially a room thats only meant for one person...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Ah that's cool, is it your second choice after Oxford then? I liked Bristol when I went there but I saw on bbc news website that this year they made 200 students share single rooms because their accommodation was oversubscribed. They all got free food and reduced rent but still, I would hate to share a room at uni - especially a room thats only meant for one person...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nooo, It's actually my 4th! I don't like the lack of flexibility between similar courses or narrow choice of Modules. Plus, Clifton although a nice place is super expensive to live in, and the other accommodation is over the river which is a trek. For me it's Oxford, Sheffield, Bath, Bristol, Cardiff. I live close, and have never heard of that happening, so I'm not really sure I'm afraid!
Manchester seemed to have a weird policy of counting Maths and Further Maths as one subject, which kind of annoyed me as I do them both and the workload is definitely that of two subjects. Is the course there good? I got their prospectus I think but I didn't really look at it xD

I'm not actually doing biochem now (switched to chemistry) but there's one thing I'll say that's great about Manchester's biochem - you are able to transfer to ALL courses which come under the Faculty of Life Sciences at the end of the first year. This is apparently very common, as lots of people find themselves fascinated by things at university which they wouldn't have considered before.

As for the maths thing, I'll respond (may not be useful for you, but others may read it): I'm at Manchester now, and I've never heard of that further maths policy from anyone - I know people studying physics, chemistry, maths and economics who took further maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I sent my application on Tuesday and got an offer for Biochemistry at Bath on friday, I've not recieved an invite for a department open day... wil I:confused:
Reply 53
I was given a conditional offer on track for Bath on Friday, but the Bath website tracker says my "application is under review" :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Abi790
I was given a conditional offer on tracy for Bath on Friday, but the Bath website tracker says my "application is under review" :s-smilie:

I think I remember seeing somewhere that they update UCAS before they update the tracker so don't worry, you've definitely got your offer :biggrin:
Original post by Abi790
I was given a conditional offer on tracy for Bath on Friday, but the Bath website tracker says my "application is under review" :s-smilie:

The same thing has happened to me On UCAS it says that I've got a conditional offer but the Bath tracker says that it's under review :P
Original post by Abi790
I was given a conditional offer on track for Bath on Friday, but the Bath website tracker says my "application is under review" :s-smilie:

Mine says that as well. xD
Reply 57
Phew thats okay then!
Original post by Abi790
Phew thats okay then!

I did worry about it at first, haha!
Does anyone know if they give offers on the weekend, I can't stop checking track!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending