The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Biochem imperial predicted grades

Hi, to those who are doing biochem at imperial or have received an offer, what were your predicted grades and what was your offer? I'm not sure if my predicted grades are high enough so just want an idea of what the standard is. Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Hi, does anyone know what the standard for UCL biochem is? I know that min entry requirements are AAA but I was wondering what the average successful applicant is predicted, thanks.
Hi, does anyone know what the typical successful applicant has for imperial biochemistry? I know the minimum entry is AAA, but I'm guessing the standard is higher than this, thanks!
Original post by Biolover2020
Hi, does anyone know what the standard for UCL biochem is? I know that min entry requirements are AAA but I was wondering what the average successful applicant is predicted, thanks.

Hi, does anyone know what the typical successful applicant has for imperial biochemistry? I know the minimum entry is AAA, but I'm guessing the standard is higher than this, thanks!

Hello, this isn't really how it works.

If you're predicted AAA or higher, your application will be considered. If you are predicted less than AAA, without exceptional circumstances explained in your reference, then your application is unlikely to be considered. Grade thresholds are just ways for universities to limit the number of applications they look at, then they'll assess your application based on the other components.

You first question was "what the average successful applicant is predicted"; this was in relation to UCL. Your second question was "what the typical successful applicant has"; this was in relation to Imperial. What a student "has" (i.e. achieved) and what they are predicted to achieve are clearly different.

According to TheUniGuide, who get their data from HESA (Higher Education Statistics Agency), the "Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved)" for Biochemistry at UCL are:

Mathematics: A
Chemistry: A
Biology: A

See here.

Another source is DiscoverUni, which provides entry information in terms of bands of UCAS points. This is a flawed approach as students can gain UCAS points from qualifications which UCL could completely ignore (AS levels, EPQ, Grade 8 Violin, etc.). However, that data (from 55 students starting 2018 - 2020, using data collected directly from universities and colleges) for BSc (Hons) Biochemistry at UCL says that:

2% had fewer than 48 points
4% had 48 - 63 points
2% has 96 - 111 points
93% had 144 points or above.

(The number don't sum to 100 due to rounding). AAA is 144 points. See here.

The equivalent data for Imperial is in those same sites.
Original post by 04MR17
Hello, this isn't really how it works.

If you're predicted AAA or higher, your application will be considered. If you are predicted less than AAA, without exceptional circumstances explained in your reference, then your application is unlikely to be considered. Grade thresholds are just ways for universities to limit the number of applications they look at, then they'll assess your application based on the other components.

thanks for your reply - I might be wrong but I was under the impression that someone who is predicted 3 A* is going to have a strong advantage over someone who is predicted 3 As, and therefore more likely to get an offer from a university.
Original post by DataVenia
You first question was "what the average successful applicant is predicted"; this was in relation to UCL. Your second question was "what the typical successful applicant has"; this was in relation to Imperial. What a student "has" (i.e. achieved) and what they are predicted to achieve are clearly different.

According to TheUniGuide, who get their data from HESA (Higher Education Statistics Agency), the "Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved)" for Biochemistry at UCL are:

Mathematics: A
Chemistry: A
Biology: A

See here.

Another source is DiscoverUni, which provides entry information in terms of bands of UCAS points. This is a flawed approach as students can gain UCAS points from qualifications which UCL could completely ignore (AS levels, EPQ, Grade 8 Violin, etc.). However, that data (from 55 students starting 2018 - 2020, using data collected directly from universities and colleges) for BSc (Hons) Biochemistry at UCL says that:

2% had fewer than 48 points
4% had 48 - 63 points
2% has 96 - 111 points
93% had 144 points or above.

(The number don't sum to 100 due to rounding). AAA is 144 points. See here.

The equivalent data for Imperial is in those same sites.

Hi and thanks for your reply. When I used the phrase 'average successful applicant has', I was referring to the predictions that they applied with. Sorry if that was unclear, and thanks for helping with this.
thanks for your reply - I might be wrong but I was under the impression that someone who is predicted 3 A* is going to have a strong advantage over someone who is predicted 3 As, and therefore more likely to get an offer from a university.

Yeah you are wrong. That's not how it works. Your grades only let you enter the application pool. The rest is down to your PS and any sort of admissions test you have. Your grades might later be considered if there is a scarcity of places.
Original post by toxicgamage56
Yeah you are wrong. That's not how it works. Your grades only let you enter the application pool. The rest is down to your PS and any sort of admissions test you have. Your grades might later be considered if there is a scarcity of places.

Sorry I really do not think that it is true. If there are 2 applicants, both have strong personal statements and predicted grades above AAA - the candidate with the higher predicted grades will likely get in (assuming that they are matched on every other level).
Sorry I really do not think that it is true. If there are 2 applicants, both have strong personal statements and predicted grades above AAA - the candidate with the higher predicted grades will likely get in (assuming that they are matched on every other level).

To add to this, I think that this is especially the case for competitive universities like UCL and Imperial.

I literally said in the latter part of my post that they might consider grades if there was a scarcity of places. And no, I know it's true because entry requirements are a thing for a reason. It's not just two trick students. Please do some more research. You cannot be "matched on every other level" because your personal statements will be different no matter what.
(edited 1 year ago)
That depends on the university's own admissions policies and internal processes. This isn't published usually.
If you meet the criteria, your application will be assessed and the uni will decide whether your application (and yours alone) is meritable of an offer. There is no side-by-side comparison with other applications
Original post by 04MR17
If you meet the criteria, your application will be assessed and the uni will decide whether your application (and yours alone) is meritable of an offer. There is no side-by-side comparison with other applications

Surely if there are a lot of promising applicants then a uni can’t give them all offers. So they must do some comparison?
Original post by H3CKT0R
Surely if there are a lot of promising applicants then a uni can’t give them all offers. So they must do some comparison?
If comparison was part of the process it'd take at least two years to be offered a place.

You are correct, there are a lot of promising applicants. Universities have processes that determine which are more promising than others. Most applicants apply to 5 unis, but can only select 2 offers. So unis know that plenty of offers they send out will not be accepted by applicants.
I literally said in the latter part of my post that they might consider grades if there was a scarcity of places. And no, I know it's true because entry requirements are a thing for a reason. It's not just two trick students. Please do some more research. You cannot be "matched on every other level" because your personal statements will be different no matter what.

Whilst I agree that personal statements will always be different between students, it is wrong to say that they cannot be matched in terms of their quality and standards. I definitely think that there are instances where universities will see two personal statements, value them equally in terms of their quality, and then make a final decision based on candidates' grades.

In response to your comment about universities only considering grades when there is a scarcity of places, in my original post, I referred to UCL and Imperial biochemistry courses - both of which are 10:1 (applicants to admission ratio) so there will always be a scarcity of places. Therefore, at one point, either university will be valuing a candidate based on their grades, even if they pass the minimum AAA requirement, simply due to the competition to get accepted into the course.
Original post by 04MR17
If comparison was part of the process it'd take at least two years to be offered a place.

You are correct, there are a lot of promising applicants. Universities have processes that determine which are more promising than others. Most applicants apply to 5 unis, but can only select 2 offers. So unis know that plenty of offers they send out will not be accepted by applicants.

Comparison is almost certainly part of the process: there is a reason that many universities wait until after the UCAS submission deadline (25th of January) to send out offers. They are waiting to see the standard of all applicants before they begin sending out offers, so that they can ensure that are only sending them out to the best applicants.
Whilst I agree that personal statements will always be different between students, it is wrong to say that they cannot be matched in terms of their quality and standards. I definitely think that there are instances where universities will see two personal statements, value them equally in terms of their quality, and then make a final decision based on candidates' grades.

In response to your comment about universities only considering grades when there is a scarcity of places, in my original post, I referred to UCL and Imperial biochemistry courses - both of which are 10:1 (applicants to admission ratio) so there will always be a scarcity of places. Therefore, at one point, either university will be valuing a candidate based on their grades, even if they pass the minimum AAA requirement, simply due to the competition to get accepted into the course.

I disagree but whatever.

Let's try bring this to a middle ground. I think it's impossible for unis to ignore every candidate's grades, likewise, I think it's very difficult to compare something as subjective as a personal statement, given everyone's references, style of writing and supercurriculars will be different. It's also important to note that all unis don't necessarily follow the same application process. They also don't generally publish their processes online, so speculation is generally pointless if you can't provide any proof.

If I may invoke the higher powers that be, @Admit-One? I believe they work in admissions and would be able to clear up the confusion. (If you have a no-tagging policy of some kind, I apologize for not seeing it! :redface:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending